Analysis 2017 Non-Crows Discussion Thread - Part V for Vendetta

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have discussed it, would probably get through based on marquee games stuff.

You can use the phase of the moon too if you want, but it's not even slightly close to equitable.
this is the AFL we're talking about.

I doubt the word is mentioned at all when they're working out a fixture. Just had the highest season attendance ever to go along with the massive TV deal too, so why would they even consider changing it?

At least some over yonder see that the list is in disarray. Most of those on the "trade" list are contracted for a few years to come aren't they?
don't worry, Kenny has time to fix it

giphy.gif

I hate the 17-5 concept. We already have a system like this, it's called finals.
No we don't. We don't play round robin final series. Adelaide don't play the other top 6 teams this year in the finals.

The current system works, albeit with flaws. There's not a team who finished outside the 8 this year that I would say "deserved" to be in the 8. Every year throws up hard luck stories and favourable draw scenarios, but it's extremely rare that the Premier isn't a deserving winner.
It's not just about the premier, it's about more than that.

The only true fair fixture is 34 games, home and away. That's never going to happen. So basing fixtures on the previous seasons rankings is as close as any other system, and less contrived than most.
Using last year's ladder just gives the impression of being fair... it is not as "close as any other system".

What complicates the draw more than the current system is home ground fixturing, "marquee games" and double up showdown/derbies/etc. Remove the annual double ups, remove the cast in stone marquee games, remove the travel inequities resulting from trying to maximise attendances (on the back of big drawing clubs) and you've got a far better chance of having the least inequitable fixture.
Less chance of that happening than the 34 round season.

Like I said, the maths has been done - these proposed systems are all full of faults with conferences having the least.

With an ever expanding league we will need to break away from this current system eventually, so conferences might become a reality one day ... unless we have a heap of clubs fold / merge and we get it back to a 12 team comp.

No we don't. We don't play round robin final series. Adelaide don't play the other top 6 teams this year in the finals.

It's not just about the premier, it's about more than that.

Using last year's ladder just gives the impression of being fair... it is not as "close as any other system".

Less chance of that happening than the 34 round season.

Like I said, the maths has been done - these proposed systems are all full of faults with conferences having the least.

With an ever expanding league we will need to break away from this current system eventually, so conferences might become a reality one day ... unless we have a heap of clubs fold / merge and we get it back to a 12 team comp.
Conferences yeah, what with travel not being an issue and all...

Was just wandering around BF and noticed that some Power supporters are looking for massive change ... how's this:

Delist: Hewitt, Krakouer, Toumpas, White, Monfries
Trade: Broadbent, Lobbe, Young, Impey, Jacko, Hombsch, Hartlett, S. Gray, Ah Chee
Bring In: Rockliff, Motlop, Menzel, Stringer, Tom Lynch (suns)

Apart from that being 14 players out, 5 in (which the poster acknowledges) how in god's name would half of these deals get done? Stringer to SA? Lynch out of the Suns this year? Salary cap would be an interesting one !! Will be a very busy trade period for the Power team :rolleyes:

At least some over yonder see that the list is in disarray. Most of those on the "trade" list are contracted for a few years to come aren't they?
Yep. Only just re-signed Sam Gray for 2 years a couple of weeks ago. Lobbe still has another 2 years. That list hardly screams trade collateral either. As for who they are bringing in, Rockliff will only move for massive overs salary wise, Stringer aint leaving Melbourne, Lynch aint going anywhere, the AFL have signed off for him to earn an extra 500K as an ambassador, and Motlop and Menzel, well they have enough of those sorts of players already. Would be list suicide. Lets hope they land both.

Trade: Broadbent, Lobbe, Young, Impey, Jacko, Hombsch, Hartlett, S. Gray, Ah Chee

They could have a bidding war between Birdseye and McCain, because they are the only ones who would take these spuds

Ken Hinkley after re-signing with the Power:

"It was just to double check with myself and my family, where am I at with this, can I continue on, am I the right person?

"To be the right person, you have to have an enormous amount of energy, and that's the question I have to be sure of myself, and I have that amount of energy and I am the right person.

* me dead. The guy can barely string a coherent sentence together and he's the head coach of an AFL club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"It was just to double check with myself and my family, where am I at with this, can I continue on, am I the right person?

"To be the right person, you have to have an enormous amount of energy, and that's the question I have to be sure of myself, and I have that amount of energy and I am the right person.

**** me dead. The guy can barely string a coherent sentence together and he's the head coach of an AFL club.
Sounds like Red Bull are going to sponsor them....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

**** me dead. The guy can barely string a coherent sentence together and he's the head coach of an AFL club.
On top of that, he was just trying to reiterate what other coaches have said, trying to make out that they have put the club first, and still made an absolute meal of it. It's not even his own material or original. Amusing to say the least.

Just saw some vision of Titus talking about the GF:

"If Richmond lose this town is going to be very flat. And if it's a GWS-Adelaide Grand Final, the AFL will think about introducing Hawthorn as an intruder."

I'm waiting for BT to yell out just after the opening bounce

"Wait isn't that Clarko's music!"

And then clarkson and his boys will hit GWS over the heads with steel chairs and take their place on the field

Was just wandering around BF and noticed that some Power supporters are looking for massive change ... how's this:

Apart from that being 14 players out, 5 in (which the poster acknowledges) how in god's name would half of these deals get done? Stringer to SA? Lynch out of the Suns this year? Salary cap would be an interesting one !! Will be a very busy trade period for the Power team :rolleyes:

All of those players combined wouldn't get them Rockliff or Lynch.

They have basically no currency to get any big deals done.

Wingard, Robbie and Ryder have some value. That's about it.

I'm waiting for BT to yell out just after the opening bounce

"Wait isn't that Clarko's music!"

And then clarkson and his boys will hit GWS over the heads with steel chairs and take their place on the field

See, that I could live with. Cheaper than pre-match entertainment too.

Broadbent = Late 2nd round
Lobbe = 4th round
Young = 3rd round
Impey = 3rd round
Trengove = Free Agent
Hombsch = Early 2nd round
Hartlett = 2nd round
Sam Gray = 3rd round
Ah Chee = 5th round

So all that currency for

Rockliff = Expensive Free Agent
Motlop = Free Agent
Menzel = Free Agent
Stringer = Top 10 pick
Lynch = Two top 5 picks

Sounds about right :drunk:

I mean 3x second rounders, 3x third rounders and a fourth and fifth rounder wouldn't even get you one of the top 5 picks required for Lynch

Yep. Only just re-signed Sam Gray for 2 years a couple of weeks ago. Lobbe still has another 2 years. That list hardly screams trade collateral either. As for who they are bringing in, Rockliff will only move for massive overs salary wise, Stringer aint leaving Melbourne, Lynch aint going anywhere, the AFL have signed off for him to earn an extra 500K as an ambassador, and Motlop and Menzel, well they have enough of those sorts of players already. Would be list suicide. Lets hope they land both.

* Phone rings *

"Tommy Lynch."

"Hi Tommy, Kochie. Look, I'm calling with the deal of a lifetime. How would you like to play for one of the world's great football clubs. You could even get an annual trip to China out of it!"
"I already go to China."

"Well, we could offer you an amazing financial deal, just think of the money you'll get."​

"The AFL wants to pay me $500,000 just for showing my face around the Gold Coast - you know, head to Westfield for some shopping, get some Subway. That sort of thing. They reckon that's what Gaz used to do."

"But we're right next to the beach down here at Port Adelaide."​

* Phone call is cut *

All of those players combined wouldn't get them Rockliff or Lynch.

They have basically no currency to get any big deals done.

Wingard, Robbie and Ryder have some value. That's about it.

Rockliff is a FA but Lynch is probably the 2nd or 3rd rated forward in the comp. Port would need to shell out a top 5 pick and a more than handy mid, Ah Chee is not going to cut the mustard. Stringer won't leave Victoria and thats a fact. The only two I see that could be a chance, Menzel and Motlop. Port could bundle up a 2nd rounder and some 3rd round picks and maybe prize out a player from which ever club Trengove ends up at to throw into the 3 way trade. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see them both stay at Geelong either. I would be curious to see how Port can afford Rockliff, I think he will end up at Carlton as Carlton have the bigger bank book.

If Port get an offer for Impey, he and they should take it. The pressure is only going to mount on Impey to perform on the back of M Crouch becoming one of the competitions elite midfielders and comparisons won't go away in SA. I believe he is suffering in the same way Tambling did with Buddy. If Impey goes back to Victoria at least the comparisons will stop and he can just get on with his development.

There is an inherent problem with the fixture, trying to work out who gets a "tougher" fixture based on the previous season is impossible.

Bottom Four at the end of 2016:
15 Gold Coast
16 Fremantle
17 Brisbane
18 Essendon​

Those teams ladder position at the end of 2017 regular season:
8 Essendon
14 Fremantle
17 Gold Coast
18 Brisbane
The sooner it goes to a 17-5 system the better.

Every team plays one game in NSW, QLD, SA, WA - and plays the other team from each of those states at their home ground. Then the next year it flips.

I know it means only one showdown guaranteed each year, but that will only make them more important imo.
So 3 of the bottom 4 from 2015 backed up by finishing in the bottom 5 in 2016.... and you're saying that history is not a good predictor for the future? Seriously? That evidence suggests that "trying to work out who gets a "tougher" fixture based on the previous season" is dead easy.

The obvious outlier is Essendon, and those circumstances were unique and unlikely to ever be repeated.

2017 KENNY said:
"It was just to double check with myself and my family, where am I at with this, can I continue on, am I the right person? "To be the right person, you have to have an enormous amount of energy, and that's the question I have to be sure of myself, and I have that amount of energy and I am the right person

2014 SANDO said:
"You got Blucher's number?"

Brenton-Sanderson-and-Ken-Hinkley.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back