2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about why WC have gone so soft... they don't like to tackle and will stand off their opponent trying to corral the ball and dive on it to lock it up rather than try to get it out. It puzzled me and I'm always of the belief that what gets measured gets done. So what the hell is the measure they've told the players they're being measured on that discourages them from tackling.

Then you think about them trying to emulate hawthorn and their kicking it around to a team mate for an uncontested marking possession.

I think they've decided to measure uncontested possessions as a positive kpi and contested possessions as a negative. Eg they're trying to encourage their players to go for and deliver uncontested possessions above contested possessions. So going in hard and winning a contested possession is not valued in the same way. Eventually this leads to an unwillingness to do so.. except for maybe on or two players like priddis because that's his role. This would also lead to hardly giving away free kicks.

Falls to bits on the g because it is so wide that you cant corral the opposition.

Yeah. I reckon to an extent it is that they are trying to encourage a long kick to a Barrass or McGovern intercept. Which is fine because they are so good at it. Harder to do on a wider ground.

But also it could be cattle thing. Who do you trust on the Eagles to go hard to win a contested ball? Shuey will get in there and do it without hesitation, even if he isn't the biggest bloke. So will Priddis, but then you have the issue that he is beyond useless at any other aspect of football bar the handball. However we know as a team they can pick it up, I think that was one of the things that made a difference in 2015 after we smashed them in the first derby.

There's something to be said for playing to the strengths of your list. Perhaps they've gone too far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back