2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say maybe even top 20. Oliver Florent and Sam Powell-Pepper have also been better. With all the hype thrown around McGrath and McCluggage, maybe it's because their teams aren't travelling that well, but they haven't shown why Sheahan et al were jizzing over them pre draft. They were meant to be the head and shoulders stand out players.
McCluggage benefitted from an under 18s system where his team fed him the ball while he sat off the side of the pack, no tags.

If I were cynical I'd say that the U18 clubs decide which players are most draftable and then get their side to play in a way that makes them stand out, thirty and three every week etc.

I know the WAFL clubs get paid when their colts are drafted to the AFL and it gets less as the rounds progress. I am guessing that is uniform across all under 18 sides, so it's in their interests to push their best prospects to the front of the class.

McCluggage benefitted from an under 18s system where his team fed him the ball while he sat off the side of the pack, no tags.

If I were cynical I'd say that the U18 clubs decide which players are most draftable and then get their side to play in a way that makes them stand out, thirty and three every week etc.

I know the WAFL clubs get paid when their colts are drafted to the AFL and it gets less as the rounds progress. I am guessing that is uniform across all under 18 sides, so it's in their interests to push their best prospects to the front of the class.

They may want to push thier best prospects but those players still need to play well. They are also put through rigorous testing at draft camp. McGluggage and McGrath were drafted so early for a reason.

Just because Powell Pepper is playing better football at the moment doesn't make him a better footballer as teams look long term when drafting 18 year olds.

Yeah the Bombers went full Richmond, and as everyone knows you never go full Richmond. The funniest thing is that a heap of Sydney fans had already left and ended up missing what will be the highlight of their year.
There was this lady sitting in front of me at the Freo v North game earlier this year and with 5 min to go, around the time where Langdon got caught HTB running forward, she cracked the shits and left. Couldn't help but laugh at the end when she missed seeing us win.

Never leave early!

They may want to push thier best prospects but those players still need to play well. They are also put through rigorous testing at draft camp. McGluggage and McGrath were drafted so early for a reason.

Just because Powell Pepper is playing better football at the moment doesn't make him a better footballer as teams look long term when drafting 18 year olds.
So much this ...It still never stops supporters making finite judgements prematurely.....for a great example go read the main board thread about shuan burgoyne(admittedly by a cats poster)posted in 2011...saying he was a 'disappointment' for hawks fans ..lol

Was that ever in doubt tho?

No, none at all in my mind. I can only think (hope:$) that the only reason MDB was moved on ahead of Suban was the latter had a year to run on his contract.

I would have loved the option of giving deBoer this one year instead of Suban.

So do we give the Dees any chance tonight?

I always get a bit bummed when I look at the tv guide and realise the eagles are playing at home. Usually results in an easy win that means nothing in the overall scheme of the season with them being such softcocks away from Subi. Their away games are much more fun to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willing to admit I'm idiotic but early on it appears the Eagles/Melbourne game may not suffer from standard umpiring bias.

Of course they choose their moments of largest influence.

That's rubbish. Guy ducked into it, and had no other attempt to dispose of it. Knew he was in trouble. And gets the high free.
1 minute later there is an identical play on a Demons player in the F50, play on! I try not to get caught up in it all too much but there's a different set of rules for each team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back