2017 - Non Freo Discussion

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Unique Name, Jan 16, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Nodgey

Nodgey Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    SDFC, Liverpool, Force
    So back to the Plugger discussion, anyone know how he lost the weight? He looks so different it's almost UNhealthy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yes Couper was a cop.

He missed the 1978 WANFL GF through suspension. He was rubbed out for throwing the ball into the umpire's face when he disagreed with a decision during the second semi.

If you're a Perth supporter you'll know THAT GF.

The Demons were without both Couper and fullback John Quartermaine. Captain Ken Inman won the toss and kicked into a strong breeze. The weather was fine during the first quarter, then it rained for most of the second (with the wind dropping to nil). The third quarter was dry and then it absolutely poured throughout the fourth quarter. Perth rallied late but missed by two points on a ground which resembled a lake by game's end.

Former Perth Sandover Medallist, Ian Miller, won the Simpson Medal for East Perth, Perth legend Barry Cable coached East Perth and Perth haven't made a GF since.

3. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    He also made a huge mistake when he took on Maurice Rioli in the boxing ring during his time at South Freo...

MAURICE RIOLI RECALLS THE DAY I PUNCHED OUT JACKO
    From The West Australian 2008.
    When Mark “Jacko” Jackson came to South Fremantle, he was a young, green kid who thought he could take on the world. Like all Victorians, he thought he was better than everybody else.

One day Jacko was in the ring throwing some punches for boxing training with Laurie Flanders. He started mouthing off and calling me a pretty boy who got all the favours from coach Mal Brown and that I wouldn’t even last a round with him.

But he didn’t know I started boxing in my mid-teens, won State lightweight and welterweight titles in WA and the Northern Territory and got to silver gloves level.

There he was, carrying on being the Jacko Jackson that he is, so Browny told me to get in there and show him how it’s done.

I got the gloves on and got in the ring but his problem was that from there on he kept leading with his big nose, so I kept punching it.

He was bleeding after the first round and Browny was yelling at him: “You’re doing great and getting on top. Finish him off this round.” It wound him up even more and he got out of the ring and stormed off.

Rest of the article...

I think he put a bit more effort into his boxing after that and had a bit more respect. He didn’t mouth off quite so much after that and we ended up being close friends.

When I was coaching in the NT, he even came up and played for me. I haven’t seen him since about the early 1990s but even then he didn’t try to throw one at me.

There was another funny memory about big Mal in 1978 when he flew up to the Melville Islands to try to get me back to South Fremantle.

The weather was pretty rough and when I got to the airport, there wasn’t much left of the seat in front of him; he’d clawed the cloth off.

I have fond memories of playing at South and watch the Dockers. They have shown they can be competitive, but they haven’t yet taken the big step to be a real threat.

They played well against West Coast, but just playing well against them means nothing; they have to play well in Melbourne, too, and find the type of players to be able to win more big games.

I almost went to West Coast when they first started, but I was coming to the end of my career and it just never happened.

I almost went to Sydney in 1986, too, but coach Tommy Hafey had all his players there from Geelong.

It’s now been more than 20 years since I played, but the game is still special to me when I watch my nephew Cyril play for Hawthorn.

I’ve seen all his games, he’s going really well with his composure, the time he’s got to manufacture things and he’s only going to get better.

It was also something to watch my cousin Austin Wonaeamirri play his first game for Melbourne last week and my brother Sibby’s son Shannon has started at Scotch College in Melbourne and will be one to watch.

There would be plenty more from the Northern Territory, too, but unfortunately there’s no development programs outside of Darwin and Alice Springs.

It’s disappointing because we’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg.

• Footnote: Maurice Rioli won the 1982 Norm Smith Medal and was second in the Brownlow Medal the next year. He was twice Richmond best-and-fairest in 118 games.

Very poignant. Nearly ended up at West Coast? :'(

Mo's heart failed him on Christmas Day, 2010.
    He was a legend on and off the field and adored by all true football supporters.
    Mr Magic was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame in 2016.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Tonga Bob, scon, FD2646 and 11 others like this.
  4. scon

scon Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    Jacko reckons he was living with Benny Vigona who set him up by daring him to get in the ring with Mr Magic.:D

Marty Whitelaw and Freofalcon like this.
  5. greatgatsby

greatgatsby Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts, Wash.Caps
    Saw the game. Yes that Perth side was the unluckiest GF side I can remember (as a Swannies man i was neutral). I recall Bosustow almost getting them over the line though!

youmewe likes this.
  6. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yep, booted seven.

I was there too. Didn't see much of the last quarter. Standing on the hill, everyone had their umbrellas up (yes you were allowed to have umbrellas in those days). Didn't have one myself. Got soaked from the rain AND the run off from everyone else's.

7. YEOLO

YEOLO Debutant

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I should have clarified better-naturally gifted in his goal kicking. He was telling me about some of the best kicks for goal he'd seen and he mentioned Jacko as one of the most gifted. Said he should have gone on to kick a lot more and have a much more successful career if he had the right mentality and actually focused on football rather then trying to fight everyone on the field.

greatgatsby likes this.
  8. stax on the mull

stax on the mull All Australian

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    EP's Brad Smith (who coached EF to the Derby Grand Final the following season) was paid a sliding chest mark as he splashed into a puddle as Perth mounted a final attack - except the ball hit the puddle in front of him and floated and he scooped it up. (If you ever see the ABC vision of the game, rather than the Channel 7 version, you can see it landed in front of him).

9. youmewe

youmewe Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Late in the game, unfortunately they didn't include the last 2 minutes.
    Bosustow's goal was a precursor to his Carlton 'goal of the century?'.

mumbler likes this.
  10. Dirty_banchez

Dirty_banchez Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Panel of experts: Carnthedockers, Silent Alarm, Banker, Alikat, DudleyDocker, Salim and Meima

President: Me

11. meima

meima Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Hahhaahahahah president: Me( trump Aussie version ) your skin is thicker than crocodile skin. Last year balic , this year logue , so who is next.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    theGav56 and DudleyDocker like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I may be mistaken but I think Dudley was suggesting experts in football, not experts in disagreeing with each other?

It would only take considering the selection of Danyle Pearce or not for this "committee" to implode, causing a vortex to another dimension. Perhaps one where Fremantle had made better first round selections! Or perhaps even worse ones!

DudleyDocker and meima like this.
  13. Allikat

Allikat Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Roys SFA, #VagGang #frisky4faulkner
    I'm an expert in good looking footballers ok. It's about diversity in your expertises

14. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    So have you got a best 22?

15. Allikat

Allikat Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Ooh I should try this. I'll get back to you!

tacopavlich, theGav56 and dockerfemme like this.
  16. theGav56

theGav56 Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Fremantle
    Let's do a B.L.O.A.T. By position. I'll start a thread.

poshman and Allikat like this.
  17. _Wildcard_

_Wildcard_ Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I was there, too. Just a tacker at the time. 2 bloody points... and then, to cap it all off, my Dad forgot to pick us up from the bus stop because he was down the pub getting pissed. So there's me and my mum soaking wet, cold as hell, and without even a GF victory to warm us up, looking for a phone box.
    No mobiles back then, and of course we never thought it was going to rain so just kinda... sat in it. All day.

Geez. Makes me laugh now, of course. Still got the little black and red triangular flag from that one (and '76).

scon and Nickos66 like this.
  18. ydraw

ydraw Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
  19. Okinakashi

Okinakashi Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
  20. PapaJ

PapaJ Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Boston Celtics, Patriots
    Yeah, good stuff.

There's a bit of talent to come back from injury that will make it hard for him to hold his spot, but if things fall his way, he may even finish his career with a premiership medallion. As with DeBoer, if that happens, it will make the sight of the GWS getting their spoon-fed premiership a bit more bearable.

theGav56 likes this.
  21. bzparkes

bzparkes Norm Smith Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    East Fremantle
    Haha, liked this bit.

tacopavlich and Allikat like this.
  22. Frank J Moose

Frank J Moose Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Buffalo
    If GWS make the GF would love to see Tendai kick their first goal.

Nickos66, freo_leo29, PapaJ and 5 others like this.
  23. Scham

Scham Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    West Perth
    Apparently has cut beer, bread and sugar out of his diet i.e. carbs. Probably should keep beer in to avoid that unhealthy look.

24. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    EFA

25. Allikat

Allikat Moderator

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    EFA the EFA