2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plead my ignorance, why are we using a road link to Fremantle ?. Why don't they use the rail link from Welshpool ?.

The last thing they want in Freo, is more trucks maneuvering around.
How does the link increase the number of trucks? They roads around here are already saturated with them. The port is working near capacity now and therefore the number of trucks doesn't increase because they are already there. The link simply gets them out of the suburban areas faster.

How does the link increase the number of trucks? They roads around here are already saturated with them. The port is working near capacity now and therefore the number of trucks doesn't increase because they are already there. The link simply gets them out of the suburban areas faster.

All I'm asking is, why has the rail not been brought up as a way to get less trucks in the Freo area ?.

The alternative is there, but I have heard no discussion.

All I'm asking is, why has the rail not been brought up as a way to get less trucks in the Freo area ?.

You only have to look for it. Here's some stuff quickly found by googling.

Seems to be a little old but some thoughts in there. https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/KH_Chapter_Five.pdf

and this doco sets out what the plan is and seems based on some of the findings of the first doco.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/projects/PROJ_P_Fact_sheet_Freight__Network.pdf

Rail has been slowly phased out over the last 20 years within WA. Very little is freighted by rail these days hence the massive increase in trucks on the road over the same period.

I'm going to continue the roe8 discussion by asking why some call it the 'road to nowhere' it 'ends three kilometres from the port'. When clearly looking on the map it joins up with the end of Stirling hwy at leach highway....thus utilising the same road that services the port already.

This will diminish congestion in the area as all the trucks will continue underground out of the area. Traffic is a mess in the area right now....regardless of trucks I think this is still needed as the amount of cars through here everyday is incredible. There are only two ways across the river for people in this south west metro...the Fremantle bridges or the causeway...that's a massive amount of traffic to move and without the tunnel the situation will only get worse regardless of trucks.

I'm confused. Do you think the trucks only go one way? Incoming trucks cause just as many traffic problems as outgoing ones. The tunnel will take away traffic, but also deliver it to East Fremantle.

When the truck route is widened and bottlenecks removed, there will still be the one remaining bottleneck of the Stirling Bridge, which means that all traffic will block up at that point, to a much greater degree than it does currently. Canning Highway will also be affected by this.

You clearly agree that the bridges are under severe pressure at present. Barnett's solution will probably be to build another bridge, raising the cost of this project by another Perth Stadium or so. Until that gets built, all the tunnel and Roe8 will do is shuffle the massive traffic problems further along. In the mean time, any truckie worth his salt will take an alternative route, such as along Railway Road to the north.

You have just stated the case for a new container port away from Fremantle. There is no way that Fremantle Port will be big enough for another 25 years. When the port gets moved away, so does the need for a multi billion dollar dedicated truck route through Beeliar and under White Gum Valley.
I don't understand why you are supporting it. Is this state operating with a massive surplus? Does it have money to burn?

Until the new port gets built, the government could efficiently use rail to reduce the problems of Leach Highway. The fact that they didn't indicates that there is something else going on. Is this government deliberately clogging up Leach Highway to push through their plan?

You only have to look for it. Here's some stuff quickly found by googling.

Seems to be a little old but some thoughts in there. https://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/KH_Chapter_Five.pdf

and this doco sets out what the plan is and seems based on some of the findings of the first doco.

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/projects/PROJ_P_Fact_sheet_Freight__Network.pdf

Thanks for the links. Most links, including the Wikipedia ones have been removed from the Main Roads site.
The planning link (first link) was from 2003. We should have seen many of the recommendations enacted by now.

The biggest worry is why many of the recommendations weren't acted on. Why is there not a second railway bridge by now, servicing each of the private freight operators? The numbers of accidents on the highway, and the transport of hazardous material should have made an alternative to metropolitan truck transport a high priority and a long tunnel a bad idea. If you made the truck operators actually pay for the real cost of moving their containers through public roads, then the railways would be the cheaper option, by far. I know Nalder talked about making the truck operators pay a toll for using the Roe extension, but that has been hidden for public conversation recently.

The second document talks about the final 3km and calls it Fremantle Port Connect. How much? And where exactly? And why isn't Barnett talking about that? The railway upgrades, the ones that should have been started a decade ago, aren't slated for until the population reaches 3.5 million, which is when the outer harbour gets done by, anyway.

Last edited:
On another note, how amazing is Rafa v Roger right now?! Such elite athletes and supreme sportsmanship on display. Still anybody's match.

It's a non-Freo thread. Go brick yourself.
You're one of the chief instigators so how about you do everybody a favour and take the brick to yourself.

The purple horde is for general discussion. Or even better, start a thread if it's that important a debate for you.

This is a non freo sports thread.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nadal is an athletic beast.

I do think his left hand gives him an advantage.

Put simply Nadal is the greatest left hander to ever played the game.

And if he makes the same amount of GF as Fed he is the GOAT

Basil just spoil it for what a good tournament in the end and great GF.

Look I'm not gonna get rid of the stupid row 8 stuff because half the time this thread is dead anyway.

But gee what a good game of tennis!
Disappointing.

Surely you can sort it out for once and channel it into an appropriate thread/sub section. This is a sports discussion thread, shouldn't matter if it's quiet between sporting events, it shouldn't be filled with political bullshit.

Consult the posts calling it out in the training thread, no one wants to see it anymore.

Oh man, that was an amazing game! Can't they both be goats?
I'm sad Nadal lost though. He's my fave

Well you can think of it this way Nadal- GOAT left hander, Fed- GOAT right hander.

What I found interesting is that I think Fed threw away a set in both 5 set games. Its a high risk strategy but when you can play the shots the advantage if being fresh in the 5th outweighs the negatives.

Thanks for creating the new thread TheInjuryFactory but there's no need to get so worked up. This is the non-Freo discussion thread so technically it was appropriate, even if not the MOST appropriate thread. It definitely warrants its own thread given how much momentum the discussion is gaining, no argument.

Great, great man is Fed. Have watched every one of his 18 and personally I think this is close to his greatest win. Nadal is a class act though, a true gentleman and a scary competitor. Even being a Fed fanboi it was staggering seeing him saving so many break points tonight and against Dmitrov too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back