2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about the Hawks more - - O'Meara's ball use was appalling while Mitchell's was just OK. They are not suitable replacements for Sam Mitchell and Lewis under their old game plan.

If Hodge, Burgoyne and Gibson all retire at the end of this season and they fail to attract a decent free agent, they appear to really be up $#!t creek without a paddle. They have no first rounder this year and didn't take a first or second rounder last year. The players that once had some currency are now getting old or look crap without better players around them making them look better and whose value is only going to fall. Their defence looks shot, their ruck stocks look thin and their midfield looks like they have no depth. I couldn't be happier!!!

Remember when Ross first came in ? How many match freo lost , I reserve until after 5 round to write hawthorn off.

We all here will look like a fool if tommorow freo don't click . No point saying other team weak before freo play.
We still have first and second round kids coming through. Hawthorn's first pick was in th 80's last year and have no top end young talent coming through.

Traded away a heap to get O'Meara though.
I agree and this will hurt them more down the track but this can be debated in years to come. For now the Hawks will start a little slow and build. JOM has missed 2-years of footy. Most of what they lost they replaced in the short term. In saying all this, Vickery is a douche bag though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't/don't have Hawthorn finishing in the 8 personally but it's way too early to write them off completely. I thought they were pretty ordinary last year and got a few lucky breaks that allowed them to appear more competitive than they really were. I don't think their uncontested game style holds up well when you can't continuously replace your personnel with similar high skill levels. That premiership list they created was amazing and I just can't see how they can sustain it as their players retire. Outside of GWS' current list I'm not sure we'll ever see such a skilful list again. Clarkson will no doubt adapt but I'd be surprised if they were that competitive for the next few years with so many other teams rising quickly with far higher quality young lists. But for the moment they still have a pretty good list and could still make finals - can see most teams passing them this year or next though.

Wouldn't worry too much about Hawthorn, they do have the genius of all coaches after all.
Any doubts we might have about the ability and talent of their more recent draft picks and acquisitions will no doubt be swept away in a display of godlike coaching, resulting in lesser talented youngsters becoming ball-magnets and skilled, precise kicks within a single season, ensuring the Hawthorn dynasty for many years to come.

Remember when Ross first came in ? How many match freo lost , I reserve until after 5 round to write hawthorn off.

Lost a couple. Besides the eagles one and hawks game, the rest we were very competitive that year. People make out that the first half of 12 was really bad. Wasn't that bad, its just the back half was so bloody good

I didn't/don't have Hawthorn finishing in the 8 personally but it's way too early to write them off completely. I thought they were pretty ordinary last year and got a few lucky breaks that allowed them to appear more competitive than they really were. I don't think their uncontested game style holds up well when you can't continuously replace your personnel with similar high skill levels. That premiership list they created was amazing and I just can't see how they can sustain it as their players retire. Outside of GWS' current list I'm not sure we'll ever see such a skilful list again. Clarkson will no doubt adapt but I'd be surprised if they were that competitive for the next few years with so many other teams rising quickly with far higher quality young lists. But for the moment they still have a pretty good list and could still make finals - can see most teams passing them this year or next though.

Spot on and added to this they've lost an amazing amount of coaching talent over the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back