2017 - Non Freo Discussion

Discussion in 'Fremantle' started by Unique Name, Jan 16, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. electricfeel

electricfeel Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I don't know...if it meant you had to bottom out and play like absolute shit but won 3 premierships in a row I'd probs take it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Clems Knee

Clems Knee Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    It couldn't happen to a more deserving group of supporters. I hate them as much as I hate West Perth supporters. A mob of bandwaggoners.
    The best thing is when all their fair weather fans drop off, they will be in prime position to move to Tasmania permanently.
    The Tassie Hawks. Substitute gold for green. Everyone dressed as an apple tree.

3. wayToGo_

wayToGo_ Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yeah but we have had to put up with Hawks supporters thinking they have superior knowledge of football for the past half a decade. I think the supporters of all other 17 clubs are entitled to serve it up a bit now they are bottoming out. Clarkson did inherit an incredible list. I hope they get the same treatment we did last year - with questions about developing youth etc. And also interesting if plenty start jumping ship.

Van_Dyke and Grape Bear like this.
  4. danstar

danstar Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Wont happen the media fawn over hawthorn so much , we always were the ugly duckling

Andy Brennan likes this.
  5. Grape Bear

Grape Bear Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I hate that they won one of them (2013) at the expense of us, and we were pretty much robbed. Let's put down 2015 there as well. It's hard not to feel a touch of schadenfreude at their rapid fall after all the crap their supporters heaped on us last year during the Owen run about how Ross Lyon runs down teams and that we were looking at years in the wilderness and that they would go on and win forever.

Granny Val, prpl_jss and scon like this.
  6. Clems Knee

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Clarkson built that list from the ground up. They did well with trading deals with Fremantle, North Melbourne and Essendon, used their high draft picks wisely and then topped up with players keen to join a successful team.

There should be no questions on his ability to rebuild. But yes, I agree that they may not be such a destination club anymore.

Square Peg and PapaJ like this.
  7. Banker

Banker Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    How the heck Menegola never got a game with us is astounding.

Instead we're stuck with a man made of glass.

8. electricfeel

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Yes it does suck they won one on us. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy watching their downfall, but I guess we are so desperate for a premiership they would probs be the team I trade places with!

9. Banker

Banker Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    I don't understand people entertaining this thought.

If he was at Freo he could go winless for the next 5 years before getting the sack if he had won 4 premierships.

Latro and Unique Name like this.
  10. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    We had to put up with them right until round 1. They're the only ones that couldn't see their list was shit, they mortgaged their future on two average/good midfielders and we're adamant they'd just keep topping up on free agents. Not a very attractive destination and I hope they do a Brisbane and keep trading away their future for the now. Good riddance I say.

meima likes this.
  11. electricfeel

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    It's hilarious that Hawthorn don't have a first round pick but **** I hate St Kilda...of all teams to receive it.

Yeti, Van_Dyke, Unique Name and 3 others like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Grape Bear

Grape Bear Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:

I don't know. A year is a long time, and after our year last year no one would have believed we could attract 4 young up and comers to the club considering. Part of that was because of the go home factor and opportunity, but part of it was because our fundamentals - well-resourced club, good fan base, coach with a good rep, some star players - were sound. Hawthorn will always be a destination club in that regard.

PapaJ and Clems Knee like this.
  13. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Don't worry about hawthorn now,they will need time to build their squad.

14. scon

scon Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Long haired Champs.
    Channel changers.
    Just glimpsed Slobbo and Snakely.:eek::eek:
    Back to Freo replays.

WeaselWJ and meima like this.
  15. wayToGo_

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Did he? Didn't they already have Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Franklin, Roughead and Sewell when he arrived? And then he had like 11 first round picks over the next 3 years?

I must admit I'm not a full bottle but I was sure they had a heap of quality players on the list when he arrived in 2005 wasn't it?

16. Sweetback

Sweetback Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Hopefully they go the way of the last threepeat side

17. meima

meima Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Won't happen loh, need longer time to rebuild. They still had a few quality player there. Sicily , Gunston , breust.

18. lw11

lw11 Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Chelsea, Boston Celtics
    But our list has their best players in their mid 20's mixed with some youth that we used first and second round picks on. Hawthorn used all of their prior early picks to trade in established players and the youth they are playing now are all second to fourth rounders. Because they previously finished so high they've also all been all at the end of their respective rounds.

Grape Bear likes this.
  19. salim malik

salim malik Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    We had injuries to our prime movers last season and we knew they would be back . Clarkson hasn't had the problem of injuries and if he did the Hawks have nothing coming through. They are in diabolical trouble, old list with nothing of value to trade , lack of good young talent and no draft picks. Good luck if you're a Hawks supporter for the next 10 years.

general44 and lw11 like this.
  20. Clems Knee

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    They were all very young then. I think he can be given credit for developing his young squad. He got rid of a lot of the older players in his first two years.

"Clarkson was appointed to his first senior Australian Football League (AFL) coaching role for the 2005 season, when the Hawks appointed him to lead their rebuilding phase. He was prepared to delist older players and introduce a youth policy. Club veterans Rayden Tallis, Mark Graham, Kris Barlow, Luke McCabe and Lance Picioane left the club and Nathan Thompson was traded to North Melbourne. Hawthorn had five wins in Clarkson's debut season. Another round of culling saw the delisting of Angelo Lekkas and Nick Holland and the trade of Jonathan Hay and Nathan Lonie. Clarkson brought to the club delisted players Brent Guerra and Stephen Gilham whom he knew from his time at Port Adelaide." Wikipedia.

I'm happy to see Hawthorn fans suffer. But Clarko has been the outstanding coach of this century so far, and deserves that acknowledgement.
    Now if Lyon can fast track his rebuild and Freo win premierships, then Clarko will have a rival.

PapaJ, Scham and DudleyDocker like this.
  21. UFO Tatsu

UFO Tatsu Norm Smith Medallist

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    He must feel vindicated

WeaselWJ and Allikat like this.
  22. Sweetback

Sweetback Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    That's only a handful. The rest of their list is mostly too old or not good enough. They have also lost too much in the back rooms, with all the assistants, Mark Evans, Stuart Fox, Fagan. It's not just players. That's a lot of experience and knowledge to replace and things to get right.

BeinPurplenGreen likes this.
  23. wayToGo_

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    Don't get me wrong, I think Clarkson is a fantastic coach but I also think the timing of Hawthorn's premiership run was extremely convenient. Having that many quality players already on the list (even as youngsters) and then effectively getting the chance to inject another 11 first round quality players on top is far more than Lyon got to work with when he came across to Freo. Power to Clarkson for fully utilising what he had available though - we'll now get to see what he can do without that kind of incredible draft/trade currency to work with. Apart from GWS and GCS I'm not sure we'll ever see a list with that much quality in it again - although Adelaide might prove me wrong.

Grape Bear and Clems Knee like this.
  24. Halfbaked

Halfbaked Club Legend

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    All i want to know is what draft pick did we get for Owen.

25. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Premiership Player

Fremantle
    Other teams:
    He was either injured, suspended or both.

UFO Tatsu likes this.