Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yep went down like he had been shot.
Have had a couple of them. Not fun.

Why everyone first thought an achilles, as did I........but I quickly thought differently after seeing him on the sidelines.

Have seen an achilles rupture up close, and helped someone work through it. Very slow recovery.

Never done a calf, but I don't envy you. That'd be bad enough.

As I expected the undermanned Giants got the job done against the flat trackers. Still a good scalp on the road for them, which has been an area they'd yet to tick off. These close wins have also been good for character building in preparation of tight finals matches. They're tracking along really nicely.

Haha how can you hate Richmond with all the entertainment they provide. I went to the dreamtime game last night ( not my choice, had to go though with my Essendon friends.)
Dustin Martin, have never liked him, and so I have been slow coming to him. But he converted me last night-he was terrific-the territory he covered, the skills under pressure. Really impressed. He'd be handy.
This really is it for Richmond. Premiership or they are done.

Dusty has no post-afl media career. Unless he's investing in cocaine shipments, he really doesn't have an effective (equivalent) income stream that will come in. So he'll be moving for 6 years of solid pay to set him up for life.

Matt Buntine Knee Season
Stephen Coniglio Ankle 9 weeks
Brett Deledio Calf TBC
Jeremy Finlayson Groin 1 week
Ryan Griffen Ankle 4-5 weeks
Nick Haynes Hamstring 5 weeks
Jacob Hopper Finger 3 weeks
Steve Johnson Knee 1-2 weeks
Adam Kennedy Knee Season
Rory Lobb Groin 1-2 weeks
Tendai Mzungu Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Will Setterfield Ankle 4-5 weeks
Devon Smith Knee 6 weeks
Lachie Tiziani Knee 1 week

What do we reckon there'd be 8-9 blokes on that list that'd be best 22 at every club. Leading the Eagles in Perth and sit in 2nd.
Scary depth.

We dodged a bullet not getting Deledio. Has he played a game for them yet?

We dodged a bullet not getting Deledio. Has he played a game for them yet?
Doesn't matter, if he comes back and helps them win the flag it's worked for them.

Dons, Blues, Lions next 3 games so we'll meet them at Spotless at 11-2. Scary stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that getting 49838 Rd1 picks wasnt bad enough, but now just as they are really hitting their straps, the TPP and SC goes up 20% so If they all play the "pay to stay together" game, conceivably they can keep most of their best 28 on the books and still not be playing a 2nd rd pick.

The leg up and assistance and timing they have gotten is just beyond anything ever seen before.

Now, they have also played their hand very well - the way they drafted etc. But still, they had to have the ammo in the chamber to do it.

GO Catters

The leg up and assistance and timing they have gotten is just beyond anything ever seen before.
Yep, but Sydney supporters are notoriously fickle.. so the AFL knowing this know it will be an expensive waste of time if they can't be successful.

I hate it mind you, I'd love the Dees, Saints etc to win the flags against the Giants though to really stick it up the AFL

Not that getting 49838 Rd1 picks wasnt bad enough, but now just as they are really hitting their straps, the TPP and SC goes up 20% so If they all play the "pay to stay together" game, conceivably they can keep most of their best 28 on the books and still not be playing a 2nd rd pick.

Now, they have also played their hand very well - the way they drafted etc. But still, they had to have the ammo in the chamber to do it.

GO Catters
This is what I love. The footy world wouldn't shut up about how good a recruiter Clayton was. Yet he went and screwed gc.
Meanwhile a first time recruiter in silvagni deliberately recruits Victorians as he knows players will leave, and he wanted as many clubs in the players home state competing for him.

Dead set brilliant.

Yep, but Sydney supporters are notoriously fickle.. so the AFL knowing this know it will be an expensive waste of time if they can't be successful.

I hate it mind you, I'd love the Cats to win the flags against the Giants though to really stick it up the AFL

I presume that's what you were thinking.

I presume that's what you were thinking.
I realistically don't think we will be a chance of actually winning a flag over the next few years when I expect GWS to dominate.

Of course I'd love to see us win against them, but I'd also really love to see the other clubs that have battled for a bit do it

I'm not as anti-GWS as some. I probably would be if I supported a struggling club in the middle of a premiership drought. Of course I'd much rather a team like St Kilda or Melbourne win the flag instead of them. However I think after watching Gold Coast make a mess with the same advantages makes it a little easier to take. If both teams were just on a run of swapping flags it would certainly piss me off. There are elements of GWS that I respect though. The Sheedy -> Cameron succession plan was a great way to get the best out of young talent. They didn't just get a marquee signing with everything else as an afterthought - they recruited very well. Their spunk and arrogance makes them fun to watch whether you're enjoying the plentiful highlights or watching it sometimes blow up in their face. I like that they haven't just been a bunch of soft show ponies, they've been pretty tough at it and in your face.

They're the AFL's frankenstein monster, it's going to be fun seeing them either wreak havoc or blow the chance to leave a legacy. The only real shame is that such an exciting team is in a place where nobody cares at all. Their home ground is so devoid of atmosphere, barely anyone turns up and those that do hardly make a noise. This is actually one area where they are at a disadvantage and equals the playing field just a tiny bit - their home ground is really a neutral place to go. It certainly made life easier for the Bulldogs in the prelim last year and in my opinion gives sides more of a sniff when they travel there. Also, they'll continue to lose talent bit by bit to other clubs and things will even out over time. They're not so unstoppable (yet) that watching the competition is a waste of time, so as long as there are a few sides who can knock them off I'm not too disgruntled with their attempt at a manufactured flag. I can't even say I'd strongly prefer any other interstate side up there on the podium.

rps20170530_174339.jpg

Just had to post this somewhere, off news.com.au

Now I know it isn't a quality site but am I missing something between Dustin Martin and Caroline Wilson??

They described their past as "salacious". I'm either out of the loop on this one or they have used a completely inappropriate adjective.

Surely you still need some journalistic/english skills to be a writer, even on news.com.au

I know he isn't necessarily am opposition fans favourite, but wish Fasolo the best with the course of action he decides to take over the immediate future - and I think it should also be commended the honesty now being shown by players when they are dealing with depression compared with previous years where it was a lot more hush hush:

COLLINGWOOD forward Alex Fasolo is suffering depression and will take a short break from the game to manage his health.
The 24-year-old will not face Fremantle on Sunday but will continue to train and prepare as normal, with the club hopeful he will make "a swift return".
"Collingwood footballer Alex Fasolo will take what is expected to be a short break from playing as he manages the challenge of depression," the club said in a statement on Tuesday night.
"Fasolo, 24, will not play against Fremantle this weekend, but take time out in the interests of his health.
"He will continue to train and prepare for football with the expectation of a swift return to playing.
"It is requested that Fasolo’s privacy be respected. The club will be making no further comment."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-30/magpie-alex-fasolo-battling-depression-will-miss-freo-clash-

Last edited:
Watching that clip of Rodney Eades press conference ( on - On The Coach last night ) after they had got overun - after leading by 5 goals early in the 3rd - he looked tired - worn out - sick of their inconsistency - just sick of all the failings of that club - It reminded me of when Tony Jewell quit as St Kilda coach - ive had enough - this has done my head in - just give me my money and i am gone .

I hate it mind you, I'd love the Dees, Saints etc to win the flags against the Giants though to really stick it up the AFL

The test for all the clubs is not if they can get 20,000 supporters when they have been granted that much gold , they have been stubbing their toes on gold nuggets in the streets... the test would be when this era washes thru, and I think we all know what would more than likely happen if they were a struggling side ... so the question is , will the afl will allow it to wash thru.

I suspect , "they" , those in charge of the test tubes and chemicals in this little experiment realise that its takes decades to enbed a club into the mindset. It takes generation. If we use the Swans an example then its highly probably the GWS will still be "Olivers" asking for "more" for the next 20-30 years. As soon as natural attrition starts to diminish their current list , the afl will ensure that their academies deliver all the "more" they need.

Who is in charge of checking that trades are ridge didge? Has anyone a link to the rule? Is it an AFL employed role? Lana? You are usually good at this stuff.
For years we have been told that deals must be deemed equitable or they will not be granted.. certainly when we were talking about arrangements we might be able to do with Adelaide , trade them an R2 for a bum they might want of their list and the get the comp pick etc... that if a deal was a biased deal it would not be approved. Yet nothing has ever been followed up about the deal the Saints did with Hawthorn. Now you will never find me feeling sorry for the Hawks but when we consider that clubs have been penalised for draft tampering.. could that deal really be called anything else.

So now the Saints will have 2 R1 picks to add to their group at years end and as far as I know , there has been no sacking or punishment for this deal being allowed to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back