Oppo Camp Non-Geelong football (AFL) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here.
I saw a lot of Swans players crash into Crows just as they kicked, handballed, or probably just a little bit after. They did the same with us. It is not quite right I reckon but of course the AFL and umps love Sydney so it is OK. And I can't believe how many they kick out of their arses.

we have to win one of our last two as well. choke today and we will struggle.
Disagree. The AFL and their constant tinkering of the rules has ruined this game. If we finish fourth, we could very well play Adelaide in Adelaide first week and if Sydney finish 5th, meet them the second week. If we finish 5th, we play 8th (maybe essendon) and then potentially Richmond coming back from a loss in nsw. The bye before finals has ruined the week to week flow of the game and the benefit of finishing 1st or 2nd.

Disagree. The AFL and their constant tinkering of the rules has ruined this game. If we finish fourth, we could very well play Adelaide in Adelaide first week and if Sydney finish 5th, meet them the second week. If we finish 5th, we play 8th (maybe essendon) and then potentially Richmond coming back from a loss in nsw. The bye before finals has ruined the week to week flow of the game and the benefit of finishing 1st or 2nd.

Agree with that. It will be interesting to see if a team comes from 5th and makes an impact this year.

I saw a lot of Swans players crash into Crows just as they kicked, handballed, or probably just a little bit after. They did the same with us. It is not quite right I reckon but of course the AFL and umps love Sydney so it is OK. And I can't believe how many they kick out of their arses.
Yep, that is their form of tough perhaps but they have a long way to go before I forget how meekly they surrendered in 2014 GF!

Agree with that. It will be interesting to see if a team comes from 5th and makes an impact this year.
I'm actually pretty torn PO. You don't want to mess with form, you don't want to go into finals after two losses, but I feel finishing 5th and getting into a role would be the best scenario for the Cats. I feel Chris Scott will be playing players to keep them in form, but the slightest niggle and players will be benched. Winning the last two won't be priority, players health will be. However, I'm sure the MRP will do its best to stop us. Interesting that Jim has walked away from the MRP.

Yep, that is their form of tough perhaps but they have a long way to go before I forget how meekly they surrendered in 2014 GF!

The Swans seem to get away with a lot more especially bumping after the ball has gone to stop the player from running on to get another disposal . We get called for that all the time , maybe we don't do it as quickly as they do . It's very frustrating what they seem to get away with and also how long they can hold the ball before a free kick is paid . Seems like there is different rules for them .

The Swans seem to get away with a lot more especially bumping after the ball has gone to stop the player from running on to get another disposal . We get called for that all the time , maybe we don't do it as quickly as they do . It's very frustrating what they seem to get away with and also how long they can hold the ball before a free kick is paid . Seems like there is different rules for them .
I think it's amazing that you come on to our board to discuss footy with us. Also that you bring up our rivalry in '09. I couldn't imagine going to the Hawks board and discussing '08. I'm not particularly looking forward to the 2008 10 year anniversary getting pumped up by the media.

It's ugly. They basically try and arse a 4-5 goal lead early and then flood 15 players behind the ball to stop opposition teams scoring and turn the game into a series of scrums and only try and score by downhill skiing into open space which makes average players in their team look much better than they are.

I don't think its massively ethical but more it just makes the game very ugly and boring to watch, i want to watch afl not rugby union.

Fair play to them exploiting the way the rules are but i would much rather watch proper football between two teams playing the right way.

To each their own. Doesn't bother me either way. You don't get points for style.

If anyone wants proof, watch the 2009 Grand Final. Was never pretty, was never free-flowing. I'm quietly confident that most Geelong fans were happy with the outcome however.

Yeah they love them so much they haven't won a flag in five years.

There's a different word for the players crashing into Crows players as they kick or handball. It's called pressure.

Ignore biggy, I don't even bother to read his rambles, keep him unblocked to know he's still active, beggers belief because if we win at the end of the year he'll go back to the hawk board and gloat how we won only because of xyz. Anyway....

Adelaide will want to win next week, because two losses leading into finals would be....great for us, one loss leading in, no they will be fired up, but a 2nd loss would start to cast doubt. And a 2nd loss would give us a chance to finish top, but a 1% only because of %, but still finishing same points as Adelaide leading into finals, and with after beating Collingwood and GWS would see us as equal favs to Sydney. Keep them on the other side of the draw, hope they finish 5th or lower and on the opposite side to us til the GF.
Over the past 10-12 years, fairly consistently, a team that wins the flag has lost this game or the week after.Not both.
We did in each of our flag years.

That is based only on 2016.
This year, teams like us actually need the bye to get time for repair of injuries, much like the Doggies last year.
We did lose momentum coming up against Hawthorn, but still won it.
This year, our momentum might be a non issue if we are regularly reintroducing postop or injured players

To each their own. Doesn't bother me either way. You don't get points for style.

If anyone wants proof, watch the 2009 Grand Final. Was never pretty, was never free-flowing. I'm quietly confident that most Geelong fans were happy with the outcome however.

Very true, but the greatness was in the knowledge that Geelong could do both. Dogged, brutal football when needed with the capacity to then turn on the artful, free-flowing football to let the stars shine bright. I think deep down it's the way we want and hope to see our boys play. To win is great, to win with style keeps the heart pumping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans lost every measurable stat tonight yet won the game.
Of course that's detestable, but also very admirable and enviable.
They fear no team at all.
That, at the end of the day, is the difference.
We have too many ifs and buts and if only's too be a serious contender
They won cos adelaide kicked inaccurately. Not really enviable.

Requires a lot of ifs there. We could beat adelaide in adelaide if we finish fourth. And go straight to a home prelim. We could lose if we finish 5th and get knocked straight out.

The afl hasnt changed the finals format in nearly twenty years and the last one, the mcintyre system was a disaster. Think what the system did to us in 97.

Would love to face the Swans in finals.

1349825016_masochist_logo_2.jpg

I've noticed the inconsistent and poor decisions, but not sure it's too Sydney specific. I just have no faith that the umpiring in any given game will have more than accidental similarity to any other, too many subjective factors and changing interpretations.

I honestly think at this point that it's like the weather, you just need to find a way to play through it and hope it favours you more often than not.

I also am big on history and legacy in our sport, as lame as that sounds. If you ask the average Sydney supporter up here about the South Melbourne Swans they'd have no clue what you are talking about because the club makes no effort to acknowledge that important part of their history. When Brisbane play in Melbourne it is for the Roys fans and they have never shyed away from it, other than a tiny SMFC on their collar Sydney couldn't give a s**t about preserving anything these days, and I personally strongly dislike that. Gill probably wants it that way too, they've essentially become an expansion team for the AFL agenda rather than a foundation team and I ******* hate that. I hate them. I just ******* hate them ok? ******* Nick Davis.
Thought I'd drag this over here. I agree with you MarkCatsFan on the Swans lack of acknowledgement of the South Melbourne history of the club. They could at the very least wear the old South Melbourne guernsey when playing in Melbourne just like Brisbane do with Fitzroy.

While I liked the atmosphere at the Crows V Swans game, I found the constant stoppages, scrums, and flooding so 36 players were in one section of the ground—very boring to watch. Sure there were some good moments, like Buddy's goal, but I found this game was everything I dislike about modern football.

While I liked the atmosphere at the Crows V Swans game, I found the constant stoppages, scrums, and flooding so 36 players were in one section of the ground—very boring to watch. Sure there were some good moments, like Buddy's goal, but I found this game was everything I dislike about modern football.

I have never been able to enjoy Swans games the same as others for pure skill 2007 is a better grand final than either 2005 or 2006 and I said that in 2007 when I was very much a Lion still

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back