2017 - Non Yeo Discussion (Formerly Non Freo Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say that's having a sexual relationship with someone who reports to you (indirectly or directly). How dumb can they be? An entire planet of people you can have an affair with and yet you choose your own employees. We can pretend it's bad eggs but it's always a cultural problem. AFL should clean house. More female representation across an organisation (eg board/senior mgmt) would do wonders. Boys club b'gone.

That's the point isn't it? It's a lot easier to have an affair with a younger woman when you have power over her.

It's a lot easier to blur the lines with the people you spend most of your life around. Happens more often than you think, and as a society we are quick to judge

Without knowing the whole story and aside from the fact they are opening themselves and the AFL to a potential sexual harassment law suit, I didn't think it was a "resign-able offence".

It's a lot easier to blur the lines with the people you spend most of your life around. Happens more often than you think, and as a society we are quick to judge
Isn't this the problem though? Whilst we continue to just excuse this kind of behaviour aren't we blurring what is acceptable use of 'power'? If you are paid the big bucks in a public organisation is it really too much to ask you to keep it in your pants despite the 'convenience'?

Isn't this the problem though? Whilst we continue to just excuse this kind of behaviour aren't we blurring what is acceptable use of 'power'? If you are paid the big bucks in a public organisation is it really too much to ask you to keep it in your pants despite the 'convenience'?

People have affairs for many reasons. You are assuming that it is an abuse of power.

People have affairs for many reasons. You are assuming that it is an abuse of power.
I'm not sure how it couldn't be. They declared it involved younger women from within the AFL and given Lethlean's role they'd have to be underneath him in the hierarchy (and almost certainly for Simkiss also). Gil pretty much alluded to it in his presser and statement. They wouldn't have called it inappropriate or have them resign if it wasn't an abuse of power imo. I've been fairly high up in the hierarchy of a company bigger than the AFL (but not as public) and our HR department was always very clear about it. If you wanted a relationship with a subordinate you declare it before anything happens and then mechanisms are put in place to avoid the 'power abuse' and impact on any professionalism in the workplace. Simple. Every big company I have worked with has a similar policy in place - the AFL surely do also?

I'm not sure how it couldn't be. They declared it involved younger women from within the AFL and given Lethlean's role they'd have to be underneath him in the hierarchy (and almost certainly for Simkiss also). Gil pretty much alluded to it in his presser and statement. They wouldn't have called it inappropriate or have them resign if it wasn't an abuse of power imo. I've been fairly high up in the hierarchy of a company bigger than the AFL (but not as public) and our HR department was always very clear about it. If you wanted a relationship with a subordinate you declare it before anything happens and then mechanisms are put in place to avoid the 'power abuse' and impact on any professionalism in the workplace. Simple. Every big company I have worked with has a similar policy in place - the AFL surely do also?

You are probably right. I am just agreeing with Arcassius in that we (the public) tend to judge too quickly

They wouldn't have called it inappropriate or have them resign if it wasn't an abuse of power imo
It's inappropriate if the fellas are married. Not nessecary an abuse of power.

Either way it's pretty dodgy.

It's inappropriate if the fellas are married. Not nessecary an abuse of power.

Either way it's pretty dodgy.
Inappropriate from the company's perspective generally means professionally (not the whole affair thing which is equally dodgy but none of the AFL's business).

Lethlean has apologised for an "inappropriate relationship" with a female AFL employee that led to his resignation on Friday.

Fellow executive Richard Simkiss has also resigned on similar grounds.

WTF is going on inside AFL HQ??

I mean seriously, consenting adults and all that and they insist on the guys resigning. But the invite to James Hird still stands. Pirorities wrong IMO.

There will probably be an internal policy around relationships - which would form grounds for someone to be let go.

There will probably be an internal policy around relationships - which would form grounds for someone to be let go.

Could have just quietly sacked them and said they were leaving for "personal reasons". It just seems so completely odd to me to make a big show of it with media conferences and all, drawing attention to it and making it headline news.

In the same week they decided to invite Hird to present the medal. This seems to me a far greater moral failing than consenting adults having an affair, which seems to me is an offence against their wives rather than against the AFL. Not sure the wives would appreciate the matter becoming so public to add to the issue of their husbands losing their jobs.

It just doesn't sit well with me. They have done the exact opposite on each case to what I would think would be right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have just quietly sacked them and said they were leaving for "personal reasons". It just seems so completely odd to me to make a big show of it with media conferences and all, drawing attention to it and making it headline news.

In the same week they decided to invite Hird to present the medal. This seems to me a far greater moral failing than consenting adults having an affair, seems to me it is an offence against their partners rather than against the AFL.

It just doesn't sit well with me. They have done the exact opposite on each case to what I would think would be right.
Not after the big story in the Media this week. Had they left quietly the rumour mill would be working overtime.

Not after the big story in the Media this week. Had they left quietly the rumour mill would be working overtime.

Plenty of people have taken leave or quit for "personal reasons" without those reasons being published

Seems to me to be adding unnecessary stress to the families involved. Bad enough being in a relationship and finding out your partner is cheating, worse still if everyone knows about it. Having it all out in the press is just nuts to me. It is looking after the AFL's image and not giving a damn about the humans involved. How about giving the people involved some privacy to sort out where they are going with their relationship and just wear the media speculation and say the AFL won't be commenting on a private matter.

Plenty of people have taken leave or quit for "personal reasons" without those reasons being published

Seems to me to be adding unnecessary stress to the families involved. Bad enough being in a relationship and finding out your partner is cheating, worse still if everyone knows about it. Having it all out in the press is just nuts to me. It is looking after the AFL's image and not giving a damn about the humans involved. How about giving the people involved some privacy to sort out where they are going with their relationship and just wear the media speculation and say the AFL won't be commenting on a private matter.
Pretty sure they were just trying to get ahead of the media with it. One of the papers has already released all the details including the names and positions of the two female AFL employees involved. It was going to come out regardless and probably with plenty more speculation - if you get ahead of it you generally come out better off in my experience. It was two very senior AFL people, it wouldn't have just disappeared easily. It'll be forgotten in the coming days now.

Pretty sure they were just trying to get ahead of the media with it. One of the papers has already released all the details including the names and positions of the two female AFL employees involved. It was going to come out regardless and probably with plenty more speculation - if you get ahead of it you generally come out better off in my experience. It was two very senior AFL people, it wouldn't have just disappeared easily. It'll be forgotten in the coming days now.

It it not something they need to keep ahead of the media with. The media have no right in the first place to report on it. They should have firmly done the "no comment" thing and told the media to respect privacy.

On another note, tonights game is between two teams with different combinations of black, red and white uniforms.

Another thing the AFL have never managed to get right. Bunch of frigging amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back