2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Suban couldn't get close to a Sandover medal if by some miracle he played 40 WAFL games in a season. He's not fit to carry deBoer's boots.
De boer is far smarter as a footballer compared to Suban..he plays well to his limitations. Suban still thinks he's Fyfe like and can break through tackles.
I was more saying. Looks promising in the 2nds but is trade bait.

I was more saying. Looks promising in the 2nds but is trade bait.
Apart from age compare to deboer ,gu and Barlow , don't see how freo can get anything out of him . A bit optimistic from your side

Yep that sounds like Suban is in the graveyard position - high half forward!!! Next stop delist.
This comment is quite true. However when it comes to Suban even if playing on the same wing with gale force winds consistently blowing the ball to that same wing he would still only end up with 12 possessions, 4 HTB and a few great tackles.

I barely remember seeing him in the Peel game on the weekend. He plateaued a couple of years back and is definitely on downward slope. Maybe an option for GWS Rookie list next year.

de Boer with Subans skills would be a damn good player.

Hmm I think DeBoer would only take Subans kicking distance. DeBoer has Suban well and truly covered in hand ball, tackling and endurance. In my view DeBoer will play for GWS this year and he will look mighty good with very skilled players around him.

Watched Balic struggle a few times after his kicks, seem to hobble a bit throughout, he had his calves strapped and saw him ask to come off unexpected (gray came on 3 seconds after coming off). Surprised he had 30 touches tbh, looked like he was a little lame or has an odd running style.

Sounds like shin splints - could be flaring up with increased training load but may have been managed by painkillers on the night?

De boer is far smarter as a footballer compared to Suban..he plays well to his limitations. Suban still thinks he's Fyfe like and can break through tackles.
Imagine if he had 45m+ on his right foot, de Boer. Would be a massive asset. Just the one thing that held him back. Such a smart player, and would never question his courage and backing his teammate

I messaged the WAFL through facebook asking if replays of the televised games will be made available.

This was their reply:

"We are currently in talks with Ch 7 to see if the replay function will be executed for the WAFL broadcasts.
We will keep you updated
Regards"

Doesn't sound promising. The season has already started and they are still 'in talks'.

I always thought that Suban could fill our small defender spot. He has the agression and tenacity to do it but has never really been trialled there. The problem i can see with that though would be that he could be found out for pace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always thought that Suban could fill our small defender spot. He has the agression and tenacity to do it but has never really been trialled there. The problem i can see with that though would be that he could be found out for pace.

Your probably right and certainly the midfield is not working for him from a possession point of view. Even the clearing 50m kick out of the backline sounds pretty good, its interesting that they stopped that experiment. Perhaps he got caught with the ball too often or not quick enough on the smalls??

Your probably right and certainly the midfield is not working for him from a possession point of view. Even the clearing 50m kick out of the backline sounds pretty good, its interesting that they stopped that experiment. Perhaps he got caught with the ball too often or not quick enough on the smalls??

I think pace and closing speed would be his issue. Small forwards still lead, he would get absolutely torched on the lead. Imagine him trying to keep up with someone like Charlie Cameron, Cameron would have a day out.

I think pace and closing speed would be his issue. Small forwards still lead, he would get absolutely torched on the lead. Imagine him trying to keep up with someone like Charlie Cameron, Cameron would have a day out.
Spurr is our current matchup for small forwards and he is not lightning quick what so ever, he also goes for the long bomb out of the back line more often than not which is comparable to Suban. One thing that Spurr does do which i can't imagine Suban doing is running back with the flight and putting himself in harms way to bbring the ball to ground, not many players attack the ball as hard as he does.

Would have thought with the amount of running Balic did last year, he'd be the last bloke with shin splints. He would have been well and truly conditioned heading into 16/17 preseason.

My memory is that the first couple of seasons under Harvey, Suban was played across half back and did some shut down roles. He had those injury interrupted seasons in 2010, 2011. One was a big ankle injury. I agree he looks like he struggles with the pace against smaller forwards now.

His big plus at draft camp was the agility run which "is a specific slalom-type agility test has been developed for AFL, which involves running in and out and around obstacles over roughly 40 meters in total. The ability to quickly change direction is very important for AFL to be able to get clear of an opponent."

Maybe he's lost some of that or become too bulky as he's developed strength. Sometimes he tries on that burst of speed as he steps out of a pack, but often he gets caught, even at WAFL level. Maybe being a left footer its predictable which way he's going to go.

Last edited:
Not looking good for Duman :( And annoying not to see Luke Ryan back playing yet either (next week)

B Hancock Collins McMahon
HB Lawler Logue Hughes
C Thorne Grey Ugle
HF Bennell McGowan Bell
F Strnadica Cox Jetta
R Darcy O'Brien Balic

I/C Walsh Morris Mathers Merritt Wight Eddy Naughton (plus whoever isn't kept over as emergency)

Not looking good for Duman :( And annoying not to see Luke Ryan back playing yet either (next week)

B Hancock Collins McMahon
HB Lawler Logue Hughes
C Thorne Grey Ugle
HF Bennell McGowan Bell
F Strnadica Cox Jetta
R Darcy O'Brien Balic

I/C Walsh Morris Mathers Merritt Wight Eddy Naughton (plus whoever isn't kept over as emergency)

Young fellow, I think his name was Bray, he was having a red hot go against East Perth until he got injured. Anyone know how serious it is. Thorne and Walsh are good ins. It was good last week that all the Peel players were supplying that defensive pressure, not just the Freo listed players.

Young fellow, I think his name was Bray, he was having a red hot go against East Perth until he got injured. Anyone know how serious it is. Thorne and Walsh are good ins. It was good last week that all the Peel players were supplying that defensive pressure, not just the Freo listed players.
Yeah really liked the look of Bray. Do Peel release an injury list? Don't think I've ever seen one but not sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back