2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

I've grown up supporting South Freo ever since my fathers best friend played for them. I used to love watching them and today feel a little guilty for wanting Peel to win. I guess I just want the Freo players to develop because we have bugger all playing AFL at the moment that can impact games.

The best call of the day goes to Souths back line coach Arthur Maskos at quarter times. Dawson was playing forward and Marlon Pickett was on him. Arthur said to Pickett, "Dawson is the worst f****** footballer on the ground and you still let him get 4 f****** possessions before you touched the f****** ball!"

Holy s**t :D

Who was on Corey Dell Olive Oil?

If memory serves I think it may have been Ibbo. At least for some period of the game. Or it may have been one of the non Freo listed defenders. I didn't really pay much attention to the match ups.

gatqD4K.png

iNkX6YO.png

My review as a South fan who couldn't give a crap about Peel:

Peel were lucky we didn't show up in the first half. We just kept turning the ball over and giving up too many clearances- particularly out of the middle. They were also helped by the fact that when Higgins was resting, Marlon Pickett went into the ruck instead of the usual one of Shaw, Pullman, or Stromm. Darcy and Tabs just dominated him in the ruck and gave the Peel midfield easy clearances. Also helped they were kissed on the dick by the umps so much they might as well have been sucking.

2nd half it was a complete domination by South and Peel were lucky in the end we couldn't kick straight. They just let us basically waltz through them at times and kick some easy goals. It was almost like Peel were out of legs and cracking under the pressure. Where Peel fell down was where Freo fall down. Quick transition from defence to attack and getting the ball inside 50 before the mids have time to get back and set up. When we played possession football or just bombed it long Peel were able to deal with it more often than not.

Deluca is at the stage where he needs to get a go at AFL level. I'd put him in before Ballas. He was really good today.

As I am always at the South end I can only comment on the back line. I will say Logue seems to be coming on well but struggled when he was one on one. When he had help and Peel outnumbered us around the ball he looked a lot more comfortable. He played most of the game on Saunders who kicked 3.3 so take that as you will. I don't think Ibbo was bad but didn't do anything to suggest he should be back in ahead of Ryan, Cox, or Nyhuis.

The best call of the day goes to Souths back line coach Arthur Maskos at quarter times. Dawson was playing forward and Marlon Pickett was on him. Arthur said to Pickett, "Dawson is the worst f****** footballer on the ground and you still let him get 4 f****** possessions before you touched the f****** ball!"

Who got the four points ?:rolleyes: Sore loser gas?:D

Who got the four points ?:rolleyes: Sore loser gas?:D

Not really. Despite the heavy favouring of Peel by the umps, if South played anyway near even 50% in the first half we would have won comfortably. South cost themselves the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I said in the first half. I also said South cost themselves the game.

Nah, Peel won the game, they played much better than Souths in the first half and held them out in the second half. What happened to South's against East Perth ? Were they better than East Perth as well but missed out on the scoreboard? South's are flat track bullies , beat up on the weaker sides .

The frees where 21 to 16 in your favour .:rolleyes: South's lost the game because Peel kicked a bigger score.

I'm not defending South or anything (actually an East Freo fan), but I should point out that as a Freo supporter you should know that the number of frees doesn't really matter in comparison to where the free is given and what for. How many times have we been killed by the umps only for the game to have an even free kick count.

Last edited:
Nah, Peel won the game, they played much better than Souths in the first half and held them out in the second half. What happened to South's against East Perth ? Were they better than East Perth as well but missed out on the scoreboard? South's are flat track bullies , beat up on the weaker sides .

Peel won because South missed off the top of my head 6 relatively easy shots- not because they held us out. Yes Peel were better in the first half but it ultimately came down to South's inability to put them away.

East Perth we always struggle against but that was genuinely the umps with a couple of absolute bullshit decisions in the last couple of minutes in that game. I was fuming more after that game than I can remember ever being after a WAFL game.

Flat track bullying is harsh. We have lost to Subi who we never beat, East Perth who we always struggle against, Swans who were flying at that stage and from what I was told South had an absolute shocker that game, and now Peel where we cost ourselves the game through poor goal kicking.

I'm not defending South or anything (actually an East Freo fan), but I should point out that as a Freo supporter you should know that the number of frees doesn't really matter in comparison to where the free is given and what for. How many times have we been killed by the umps only for the game to have an even free kick count.
Nah, it's relevant when someone complains about the umpiring being the reason they lost. If you win the free kick count you shouldn't complain about the umpiring.
Peel won because South missed off the top of my head 6 relatively easy shots- not because they held us out. Yes Peel were better in the first half but it ultimately came down to South's inability to put them away.
I thought Peel should have won far more convincingly if they had of taken full advantage of their dominance in the first half. The second half they clearly turned off a bit thinking they'd done enough for the win already. South only looked good when the pressure was off. It was the same last year during the finals when Peel dominated every team from applying pressure they couldn't handle. Freo could probably learn something from that as well after Brisbane looked a million dollars with zero pressure applied.

Nah, it's relevant when someone complains about the umpiring being the reason they lost. If you win the free kick count you shouldn't complain about the umpiring.

If you are aiming that at me, I said it was in the first half and yes you can complain when you win the free kick count. I have also stated numerous times that is not why South lost.

I thought Peel should have won far more convincingly if they had of taken full advantage of their dominance in the first half. The second half they clearly turned off a bit thinking they'd done enough for the win already. South only looked good when the pressure was off. It was the same last year during the finals when Peel dominated every team from applying pressure they couldn't handle. Freo could probably learn something from that as well after Brisbane looked a million dollars with zero pressure applied.

I agree that Peel should have made more of their dominance although I don't really think it was an 8 goal game at half time. I think 5 or 6 would have been a better reflection. However, I disagree that South only looked good when the pressure was off. South came out after half time looking like a completely different team. They stuck their tackles, and applied pressure that was non-existent in the first half. They stopped turning the ball over cheaply as much as they were in the first half and stopped letting Peel win the easy clearances- particularly out of the middle. The back line also switched on and stopped letting in easy goals for the most part. That second half was more about South finally switching on than Peel taking their foot off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back