Competitions 2017 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 1 was an auto-pick? Jesus

Guy missed out on making the pick by a minute or two. Strict time management. He'd have picked LDU anyway.

Some 'fun' facts while the picks roll by:

- 4 posters and 5 clubs are done, having made 23 selections
- another 4 posters have 15 of the remaining 29 picks
- the only players sharing a surname are the Brayshaw brothers
- the most common first names amongst draftees are Jack (4), Jordan (3) and Charlie (3)

Some 'fun' facts while the picks roll by:

- 4 posters and 5 clubs are done, having made 23 selections
- another 4 posters have 15 of the remaining 29 picks
- the only players sharing a surname are the Brayshaw brothers
- the most common first names amongst draftees are Jack (4), Jordan (3) and Charlie (3)

Think we need to keep you busy Jim. How many of the kids that have been selected to this point

• Are left footers
  • KPP/Ruckmen
  • State they are from
  • Number of sub 180 cm
  • Number of AA's

Think we need to keep you busy Jim. How many of the kids that have been selected to this point

• Are left footers
  • KPP/Ruckmen
  • State they are from
  • Number of sub 180 cm
  • Number of AA's
Haha I'm busy enough, I don't want to build a sheet that's populated with the player pool data as well. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon neglected their midfield throughout the trade and free agency period despite losing several previously key components of it (e.g. Jobe, Hocking, etc.). That means that they will need someone ready to go. It's a crap shoot at this point of the draft. Consequently, I have kept my eyes open for a player young enough to be a genuine first year AFL player yet someone who has gone away and worked on their weaknesses while advancing their strengths.

This is a guy who was at one point ranked in the top ten in his AFL Draft class. He was selected as an All-Australian at the carnival last year. He was written off due to questionable disposal and concerns that his body wouldn't hold up to AFL. He put on about 5kg of muscle and definition. He became a very reasonable user of the ball in the SANFL in his first year. His club, Glenelg, voted him second in their best and fairest this year. He averaged over 22 disposals per game and was outstanding defensively with over 6 tackles per game. He's a guy who can play as a general in the backline at first and will assume greater use in their midfield rotation as time goes on. Most importantly, he's going to be ready to be a contributor in their senior team from day one.

The Essendon Football Club welcome Jonty Scharenberg into the lab with Carlton AFL Phantom Draft selection 68.

HARKER and his Hawks are up next.

Everyone who I thought may get to here, has now gone.
Tempted to go into the State Leagues here, but may leave that for the next pick.

Hawthorn: Pick #69 Nathan Kreuger

Not particularly doing cartwheel, but The Hawks will back their development on a KPF.

Arr0w . I think it's you.
It's Blugazi.

Hahahahah... that would be Schloithe. So many consonants, so few syllables. Was thinking about him myself.

Hmmm. Every name crossed off my list of definites.

D'oh

Pick 71 - Freo - Billy Hartung

This man has enough talent, skill and desire to be on an AFL list and is a better bet than what's been demonstrated by most of the remaining youngsters. Freo still needs midfield depth and is pleased to secure a near-best-22 gut runner at this stage.

Freo still has remaining picks and will use them on 18yo's, but Billy's quality cannot be passed up here.

Right back at ya TerryWallet

Last edited:
Pick #72 (GEEL) Matthew Day

Day is a nice sized midfield prospect at 189cm who is a recent basketball convert. He finished having a good year for Oakleigh Chargers and looks to me to have the ability and scope to be a chance to make it in the AFL.

He has good hands and good moves in congestion.

Completes my draft for the Cats of 3 maturing talls(Taylor, Hayes and McCartin) a small(Daniels) who is not far off being able to slot in if required and deserved, and a midfielder(Day) who can be ready to push for a spot by the time Gaz and the Selwoods are nearly out of petrol.

over to SOS Jeremias

Love the pick TerryWallet - really considered him with the Jonty pick but went with someone who was more ready rather than needing year(s) to develop.

Day is a really good kid.

Ouch - the last 10 or so picks have been brutal.

I was hoping one or more of Walker, Baker, Paton, Schloithe or Day would slip to this pick. I'd be more than happy to select any of them here.

With that in mind I'm going to pick a kid I really like and I don't want to wait around and hope he slips all the way through to my next pick, which I suspect he won't.

I'm not sure he gets picked up on Friday night but from what I've seen he's definitely draftable. I'm going to thank TerryWallet - I think it was you who raised him as an option earlier this year and he's been a favorite of mine in this draft pool since.

Pick 73 - Carlton - Mitch Crowden

I reckon body shape is the only thing holding this kid back from being a really good AFL footballer. He's not going to magically grow another 5-10cm but he can drop some weight in a professional environment which may bring his strengths to the fore a bit more.

Talking of his strengths -
- Skills
- Pace
- Capable inside and outside
- Ball magnet

Endurance needs a bit of work but other than that I genuinely believe it's his body shape that is the thing holding him back most. If he can drop some weight I think there's every chance he'll be a serious AFL footballer and I think a professional environment will give him every chance to get there.

At 73 I'd be more than happy to take a punt on this kid who has some genuinely excellent traits already.

Over to you HARKER

Ouch - the last 10 or so picks have been brutal.

I was hoping one or more of Walker, Baker, Paton, Schloithe or Day would slip to this pick. I'd be more than happy to select any of them here.

With that in mind I'm going to pick a kid I really like and I don't want to wait around and hope he slips all the way through to my next pick, which I suspect he won't.

I'm not sure he gets picked up on Friday night but from what I've seen he's definitely draftable. I'm going to thank TerryWallet - I think it was you who raised him as an option earlier this year and he's been a favorite of mine in this draft pool since.

Pick 73 - Carlton - Mitch Crowden

I reckon body shape is the only thing holding this kid back from being a really good AFL footballer. He's not going to magically grow another 5-10cm but he can drop some weight in a professional environment which may bring his strengths to the fore a bit more.

Talking of his strengths -
- Skills
- Pace
- Capable inside and outside
- Ball magnet

Endurance needs a bit of work but other than that I genuinely believe it's his body shape that is the thing holding him back most. If he can drop some weight I think there's every chance he'll be a serious AFL footballer and I think a professional environment will give him every chance to get there.

At 73 I'd be more than happy to take a punt on this kid who has some genuinely excellent traits already.

Over to you HARKER

The Speaker asks Jeremias to withdraw his thanks to TerryWallet as it is a case of mistaken identity.

Terry actually thinks Crowden can play but that he is an early maturing shortass fatty from SA in a longline of early maturing shortass SA fatties that don't make it at AFL level.

:eek: :D

The Speaker asks Jeremias to withdraw his thanks to TerryWallet as it is a case of mistaken identity.

Terry actually thinks Crowden can play but that he is an early maturing shortass fatty from SA in a longline of early maturing shortass SA fatties that don't make it at AFL level.

:eek: :D
From memory he towelled up Vic Country at the end of the champs. Was BOG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back