Strategy 2017 Playing Squad - Depth & Who Needs to Step Up

Which recent recruits (2015/2016) need to cement their spot in the squad for us to progress?

• Macreadie

• Marchbank

• SPS

• Fisher

• Kerridge

• Cunningham

• Williamson

• Pickett

• C Curnow

• Sumner

• Lamb

• Silvagni

• McKay

• Kerr

• Smedts

• Polson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
22 guys don't make a team and the last two pre-seasons SOS has been working on improving our depth.
Everyone is picking a Best 22 but I challenge everyone to pick their squad who will play games, or you want to play games , rate them and therefore determine our depth. Is SOS doing a good job?
Pick a team with depth positions filled in - I would be happy with anyone in green getting a game, anyone in orange based on form and worried if the guys in red are regulars.

B: Plowman - Marchbank - Simpson
HB: Docherty - Weitering - Sheehan
KPD Depth: Rowe, 3rd tall depth: White / Jaksch / Macreadie, HBF depth: Byrne / Buckley

C: SPS - Cripps - E. Curnow
R: Kruezer - Murphy - Gibbs
Ruck Depth: Phillips, Inside Mid: Fisher/ Kerridge, Outside Mid depth: Cuningham / Boekhurst / Pickett / Williamson

HF: Palmer - C.Curnow - Sumner
F: Silvagni - McKay - Wright

Small Forward Depth: Smedts / Lamb / Polson / Armfield
KPF Depth: Kerr / Casboult

I have a squad of 30 players I would like to get a game regularly depending upon form (some 2016 recruits maybe later in year only) . Seven guys (red) are making up numbers based on past form. The rest I feel are not worth the effort, harsh maybe but that's the game. I give SOS a B+ score with potential for an A depending upon how SPS and Fisher develop and the forwards progress. Gee that forward line has lot of potential but lacks any demonstrated class.

The guys who need to step up in 2017 are therefore last years recruits - our forward line demands it: Silvagni, C Curnow, McKay

22 guys don't make a team and the last two pre-seasons SOS has been working on improving our depth.
Everyone is picking a Best 22 but I challenge everyone to pick their squad who will play games, or you want to play games , rate them and therefore determine our depth. Is SOS doing a good job?
Pick a team with depth positions filled in - I would be happy with anyone in green getting a game, anyone in orange based on form and worried if the guys in red are regulars.

B: Plowman - Marchbank - Simpson
HB: Docherty - Weitering - Sheehan
KPD Depth: Rowe, 3rd tall depth: White / Jaksch / Macreadie, HBF depth: Byrne / Buckley

C: SPS - Cripps - E. Curnow
R: Kruezer - Murphy - Gibbs
Ruck Depth: Phillips, Inside Mid: Fisher/ Kerridge, Outside Mid depth: Cuningham / Boekhurst / Pickett / Williamson

HF: Palmer - C.Curnow - Sumner
F: Silvagni - McKay - Wright

Small Forward Depth: Smedts / Lamb / Polson / Armfield
KPF Depth: Kerr / Casboult

I have a squad of 30 players I would like to get a game regularly depending upon form (some 2016 recruits maybe later in year only) . Seven guys (red) are making up numbers based on past form. The rest I feel are not worth the effort, harsh maybe but that's the game. I give SOS a B+ score with potential for an A depending upon how SPS and Fisher develop and the forwards progress. Gee that forward line has lot of potential but lacks any demonstrated class.

The guys who need to step up in 2017 are therefore last years recruits - our forward line demands it: Silvagni, C Curnow, McKay

Well done! Largely agree with this (no Thomas or Jones?). For sentimental reasons (his form in any case was very good when he played in 2016) though I would like to see Dennis play (perhaps whilst Byrne is recovering) around 10 games and get to 150!:D

Apart from SPS and Fisher (2016 National Draftees) I expect that the young players who will make an impact in 2017 will be the Class of 2015 National Draftees (C Curnow, Silvagni, McKay and Cuningham). I expect Silvagni (think he's eligible?), Cuningham, C Curnow and McKay to all poll very well in the NAB Rising Star - one of them will win it this time to make up for Cripps! Of the other recent recruits I expect Marchbank and Palmer to play most games.

SPS, Marchbank and C.Curnow should be green. We need to get games into these guys ASAP. Kruezer also green for me.

KJ, Kerridge, Lamb and Casboult should be orange. Thomas should also be orange who isn't on your list.

Otherwise I agree.

I would like SPS, Marchbank and C Curnow to be getting games (demonstrated by picking them) but with less than half a dozen games I don't think they warrant a green yet. They haven't staked that spot as their own yet.
Kreuzer is not green based on the fact neither him nor Phillips have demonstrated they should be our first ruck.

Nice if one of the new recruits from the backline steps up but seeing we generally rate this as an area we have covered (unless you disagree) what's the point in another player like Macreadie or Marchbank stepping up. I think it's the recruits from the forward line that we need to step up.

I feel it's like saying the Aussies need more fast bowlers to develop when we really need some batsmen as we don't post a score worth defending.

Last edited:
Back