2017 pre-season discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

I was about the same at 20 took until 40 to get to a pretty poor looking head of hair but now I comb over and use Toppik and that is in no way ridiculous and is completely awesome. My pillowcase however is a bit black from all the cover up. If he cuts it a bit shorter he will be fine for his career IMO
What's toppik? A combover! I had this boss way back in the 80s in the public service who had the worlds worst combover; it basically went from ear to ear, it was hilarious.

Not sure you can quote a whole poem in here

But ah did Blanche, ah did! (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane)

If you're going to try, go all the way (Charles Bukowski)

Let's go All the Way (Sly Fox)

It's All or Nothing (Wayne Hector & Steve Mac/Small Faces)

Too early to tell who will be the new rising stars for 2017 but Ollie has a good show even as light as he is. Hayward looks good and Foote is looking really hot in early training. Let's wait until the trials (NAB Challenge or whatever they are now calling it) and then we will have a good idea who is a break out and who will enjoy NEAFL action.

Last edited:
But ah did Blanche, ah did! (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane)

If you're going to try, go all the way (Charles Bukowski)

Let's go All the Way (Sly Fox)

It's All or Nothing (Wayne Hector & Steve Mac/Small Faces)

Too early to tell who will be the new rising stars for 2017 but Ollie has a good show even as light as he is. Hayward looks good and Foote is looking really hot in early training. Let's wait until the trials (NAB Challenge or whatever they are now calling it) and then we will have a good idea who is a break out and who will enjoy NEAFL action.

The JLT Community Series.............I'm sure that will catch on

Nah all the office staff including media are on holiday. So there won't be any reports until after they come back, which I thought was to be the 13th but that doesn't make sense. Tomorrow is the 10th and the 13th would be Thursday. So it must be either the tomorrow, 10th, or the 17th. I can't see it being as late as the 17th though as the players will be getting ready for pre-season matches scheduled to start mid February. So training and reporting of events will suddenly beef up.

Did anyone see Richards is now going to stay in Sydney and play for Syd Uni.
I guess he REALLY didn't like that 150k per year offer, and I don't blame him. With Buddy and Tippet taking up so much salary I guess they need to find 3-4 players willing to play for unders every year to make it work.
Does anyone know if he was already doing study there? It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Anyway wish him all the best. Hope he kills it this year and gets offered a good contract somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess he REALLY didn't like that 150k per year offer, and I don't blame him. With Buddy and Tippet taking up so much salary I guess they need to find 3-4 players willing to play for unders every year to make it work.
Does anyone know if he was already doing study there? It's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Anyway wish him all the best. Hope he kills it this year and gets offered a good contract somewhere.

I'd argue 150K is not being paid under for XR - a reasonable salary for a guy with only a handful of senior games, and only really a couple that caught the eye.

If XR were paid more than 150k it would be overs IMO

If XR were paid more than 150k it would be overs IMO
The average is about 300k.
He was worth about 200 - 220 imo and prob would have gotten at least that reward at most clubs for the season he'd just put in. Good lead, good hands, good kick, mobile second or third tall.
XR was always going to be squeezed out given the salary going to Buddy, Tippet and Reid, his manager should have anticipated that when XR started playing well in the 1st team and should've been shopping him aggressively prior to the offer from the Swans. A good manager would have had options ready to go imo.

The average is about 300k.
He was worth about 200 - 220 imo and prob would have gotten at least that reward at most clubs for the season he'd just put in. Good lead, good hands, good kick, mobile second or third tall.
XR was always going to be squeezed out given the salary going to Buddy, Tippet and Reid, his manager should have anticipated that when XR started playing well in the 1st team and should've been shopping him aggressively prior to the offer from the Swans. A good manager would have had options ready to go imo.

He is worth nothing in a sense. Teams would not touch him for free

Is the average 300k? You sure ? Seems highish

Mean and median are both average. Buy the mean will be way higher because of players like buddy, dangfield etc dragging it up.

There's no doubt x's manager stuffed up big time, but 150 is a lot for a depth player who ideally won't play. X would be depth at every club, he aspires to journeyman status. You take what you can get.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was about the same at 20 took until 40 to get to a pretty poor looking head of hair but now I comb over and use Toppik and that is in no way ridiculous and is completely awesome. My pillowcase however is a bit black from all the cover up. If he cuts it a bit shorter he will be fine for his career IMO
Perhaps we have the post of the year already

You really are a Hanrahan aren't you. for those who are unaware of Hanrahan, he is the ultimate pessimist, invented by the poet John O'Brien (AKA Father Patrick Joseph Hartigan);

SAID HANRAHAN

"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
In accents most forlorn,
Outside the church, ere Mass began,
One frosty Sunday morn.
The congregation stood about,
Coat-collars to the ears,
And talked of stock, and crops, and drought,
As it had done for years.
"It's lookin' crook," said Daniel Croke;
"Bedad, it's cruke, me lad,
For never since the banks went broke
Has seasons been so bad."
"It's dry, all right," said young O'Neil,
With which astute remark
He squatted down upon his heel
And chewed a piece of bark.
And so around the chorus ran
"It's keepin' dry, no doubt."
"Before the year is out.
"The crops are done; ye'll have your work
To save one bag of grain;
From here way out to Back-o'-Bourke
They're singin' out for rain.
"They're singin' out for rain," he said,
"And all the tanks are dry."
The congregation scratched its head,
And gazed around the sky.
"There won't be grass, in any case,
Enough to feed an ass;
There's not a blade on Casey's place
As I came down to Mass."
"If rain don't come this month," said Dan,
And cleared his throat to speak--
"If rain don't come this week."
A heavy silence seemed to steal
On all at this remark;
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed a piece of bark.
"We want a inch of rain, we do,"
O'Neil observed at last;
But Croke "maintained" we wanted two
To put the danger past.
"If we don't get three inches, man,
Or four to break this drought,
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."
In God's good time down came the rain;
And all the afternoon
On iron roof and window-pane
It drummed a homely tune.
And through the night it pattered still,
And lightsome, gladsome elves
On dripping spout and window-sill
Kept talking to themselves.
It pelted, pelted all day long,
A-singing at its work,
Till every heart took up the song
Way out to Back-o'Bourke.
And every creek a banker ran,
And dams filled overtop;
"If this rain doesn't stop."
And stop it did, in God's good time;
And spring came in to fold
A mantle o'er the hills sublime
Of green and pink and gold.
And days went by on dancing feet,
With harvest-hopes immense,
And laughing eyes beheld the wheat
Nid-nodding o'er the fence.
And, oh, the smiles on every face,
As happy lad and lass
Through grass knee-deep on Casey's place
Went riding down to Mass.
While round the church in clothes genteel
Discoursed the men of mark,
And each man squatted on his heel,
And chewed his piece of bark.
"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
"Before the year is out."
John O'Brien
Hats off for introducing the rhyming form to the Board and raising the level a notch.. You might consider Ezra Pound's In a Station of the Metro for the next contribution for ADD crowd on here.

Mean and median are both average. Buy the mean will be way higher because of players like buddy, dangfield etc dragging it up.

There's no doubt x's manager stuffed up big time, but 150 is a lot for a depth player who ideally won't play. X would be depth at every club, he aspires to journeyman status. You take what you can get.

On Galaxy Nexus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Richmond, Freo, Carlton are three clubs where XR would be expect to be 1st team. Hell he'd of been 1st team here once Reid goes down.
Jack saying our main focus is skills again this pre season

So, not a "focus on football" then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back