2017 pre-season discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys are $1.68 on sportsbet which is some fairly nice value,
Are you likely to play a relatively strong side?
Never, ever, bet on Sydney in preseason.

Never, ever, bet on Sydney in preseason.

This.

Haha, I remember when there were finals in the pre-season competition and Roos use to make sure that we never made the finals. I can remember one game where we behind by less then a goal and Roos was telling the players, do not score.

I would say never bet on pre-season period. Seems way more risky with some teams flat out not giving a s**t and players only half caring.

I would say never bet on pre-season period. Seems way more risky with some teams flat out not giving a s**t and players only half caring.
That's solid advice.

Most teams are testing structures and moving players around to trial new positions, so I'd keep the wallet closed for a few more weeks.

In all honesty I would have thought your list has much more to play for in terms of round 1 spots. Historically our first up preseason games tend to be more of a training run than a true hit out.

In previous years they have used it as a pure warm up but there is genuinely spots up for grabs so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see some good form from our team.

That doesn't mean bet on the game, why would anyone bet on a pre-season game?

17. Darcy Cameron
7. Harry Cunningham
19. Shaun Edwards
45. Sam Fisher
13. Oliver Florent
6. Jordan Foote
42. Robbie Fox
4. Dan Hannebery
5. Isaac Heenedy
29. George Hewett
33. Brandon Jack
10. Zak Jones
12. Josh Kennedy
30. Tyrone Leonardis
44. Jake Lloyd
21. Jack Maibaum
31. Harry Marsh
43. Lewis Melican
14. Callum Mills
46. Sam Murray
28. Nic Newman
38. Colin O'Riordan
26. Luke Parker
20. Sam Reid
27. Dan Robinson
25. Ben Ronke
40. Nick Smith
32. Michael Talia
8. Kurt Tippett

2. Marley Williams
4. Shaun Higgins
6. Lachlan Hansen
7. Jack Ziebell
8. Nathan Hrovat
9. Andrew Swallow
10. Ben Cunnington
11. Luke McDonald
12. Lindsay Thomas
13. Ryan Clarke
14. Trent Dumont
18. Shaun Atley
23. Ben McKay
24. Sam Durdin
28. Kayne Turner
30. Jarrad Waite
31. Braydon Preuss
32. Mason Wood
33. Ed Vickers-Willis
34. Jamie Macmillan
35. Declan Watson
37. Will Fordham
39. Mitch Hibberd
40. Nick Larkey
41. Corey Wagner
42. Declan Mountford
43. Sam Gibson
44. Cameron Zurhaar
46. Matthew Taylor

Defence will be interesting without Grundy, Ramps, Allir etc. Talias time to make amends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

Haha, I remember when there were finals in the pre-season competition and Roos use to make sure that we never made the finals. I can remember one game where we behind by less then a goal and Roos was telling the players, do not score.
In early 2008 Roos was alleged to have been in the centre of a match-fixing controversy involving wingman Jarrad McVeigh. His alleged instructions to McVeigh was to "go forward, just don't kick a goal" during the final stages of the Swans' NAB Cup match against Hawthorn, which the Swans lost by two points. Roos was cleared of any wrongdoing by the AFL one month later, as it turned out to be a joke regarding McVeigh's poor accuracy during the 2007 AFL season.

Only 11 best 22 players named so a fairly typical Swans start to the preseason.

Missing best 22 players - Naismith, Papley, Rohan, Grundy, Aliir, KJack, McVeigh, Buddy, Rampe.

This is a really good opportunity for fringe players to stake a claim as there are several R1 spots up for grabs. Despite letting Mitchell go, we are flush with mids, just add Heeney, Jones, Mills to the mix. By my reckoning we need one ruck (Cameron?), a couple of back flankers (Newman, O'Riordan, Edwards?), at least one small forward (Robinson, Florent, Ronke?)

I just hope that a few of these guys perform at a level that has them pencilled in for further assessment as we are seriously short on proven depth.

Melican's barely KPP.
194cm but slightly built. I really liked his NEAFL GF performance so be interesting to see how he goes this year. Talia and Maibaum the obvious tall & strong KPD in this squad. Not sure if Norf have big KPF to contend with.

Our midfield is near full strength, JPK, Parker, Hanners, Heeney, Jones, Mills, Lloyd, Hewett but not much of a forward line.

Gary Rohan doesn't even get a mention in the noteable absentees. He doesn't seem to ever be ready to go by start of season. Hope nothing too serious and that he will get a game in the series.
He is absent for 80% of games he is named in, so we should be well adjusted

Really looking forward to seeing what Sam Fisher can do against other opposition. Thought hiis highlights were really impressive, and has been described by those who know him as 'very classy' with a 'beautiful left foot'. Has been acknowledged for his speed/endurance but he himself has said he's 'more skilful than athletic' and that his ball-winning ability and use of the ball is more his asset. 3 goals in the intraclub not a bad way to debut for the club, not to mention be great to get one back on GWS.

Also really liking the sound of Ronke, Cameron...and keen to get more glimpses of melican, newman, leonardis, o'riordan, edwards...damn! be great if hayward was there too.

Cant wait for the first JLT game on Fox tonite!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back