Training 2017 Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Checking out the fixture over a few beers and a South African batting lesson.

Round 1 Vs Hawthorn - We win this, just.
Round 2 Vs Brisbane - Win
Round 3 Vs Carlton - Win
Round 4 Vs Adelaide - Loss
Round 5 Vs Collingwood - win
Round 6 Vs Melbourne - Loss, although we beat them with half a side last season, so I am optimistic.
Round 7 Vs Fremantle - Loss - In perth
Round 8 Vs Geelong - Loss
Round 9 Vs West Coast - 50/50 at Etihad, probably say loss
Round 10 Vs Richmond - win
Round 11 Vs GWS - Loss
Round 12 Vs Port - Win
Round 13 Bye
Round 14 Vs Sydney - Loss
Round 15 Vs Brisbane - Win
Round 16 Vs Collingwood - Win
Round 17 Vs St Kilda - Loss
Round 18 Vs Norf - Win
Round 19 Vs Western Bulldogs - Loss
Round 20 Vs Carlton - Win
Round 21 Vs Adelaide - Loss
Round 22 Vs Gold Coast - Win
Round 23 Vs Fremantle - Win

12 wins is probably about right. We could pinch one of Melbourne, West Coast at home, Adelaide at home, gives us 15 wins. Play finals.
Norf played finals after 12 wins, Dogs won the flag after 15 wins. Goes to show that nothing is impossible.

I think we finish 7-12. Only builds confidence, the Dogs were in very similar position, built good depth and had players come in and played a role. We are building that now, we have everything we need. Im very very confident of where we are at now and will be in 2-3 years.

It is a nice draw, early markets we are ~ $26 for the flag on par with Saints, Dees & ahead of Port, Tigers, Norf & a few other jokers. $26 too short for mine but by early May, they might have looked really sweet odds;)

Adelaides midfield is looking more ordinary by the day.

Loss Dangerfield, Lyons, S.Thompson on his last legs being groomed to play SANFL or across half back at AFL level. Same goes for Douglas and now Brad Crouch has torn his hamstring for the 3rd time thia preseason and wont be ready for round 1.

They could be playing alot of the season with Sloane, M.Crouch then alot of untried hope after that.

Checking out the fixture over a few beers and a South African batting lesson.

Round 1 Vs Hawthorn - We win this, just.
Round 3 Vs Carlton - Win
Round 5 Vs Collingwood - win
Round 6 Vs Melbourne - Loss, although we beat them with half a side last season, so I am optimistic.
Round 7 Vs Fremantle - Loss - In perth
Round 9 Vs West Coast - 50/50 at Etihad, probably say loss
Round 10 Vs Richmond - win
Round 11 Vs GWS - Loss
Round 12 Vs Port - Win
Round 13 Bye
Round 16 Vs Collingwood - Win
Round 18 Vs Norf - Win
Round 21 Vs Adelaide - Loss

12 wins is probably about right. We could pinch one of Melbourne, West Coast at home, Adelaide at home, gives us 15 wins. Play finals.
Norf played finals after 12 wins, Dogs won the flag after 15 wins. Goes to show that nothing is impossible.

I think we finish 7-12. Only builds confidence, the Dogs were in very similar position, built good depth and had players come in and played a role. We are building that now, we have everything we need. Im very very confident of where we are at now and will be in 2-3 years.
Melbourne are hopeless at Etihad. Don't see us losing that one.

Round 1 Vs Hawthorn - Win
Round 3 Vs Carlton - Win
Round 5 Vs Collingwood - Win
Round 6 Vs Melbourne - Win
Round 7 Vs Fremantle - Loss
Round 9 Vs West Coast - Win
Round 10 Vs Richmond - Win
Round 11 Vs GWS - Loss
Round 12 Vs Port - Loss
Round 13 Bye
Round 16 Vs Collingwood - Loss
Round 18 Vs Norf - Win
Round 21 Vs Adelaide - Win

13-9. We generally have a few upset wins and drop a few games we should win, but our draw is pretty easy to be honest. None of the wins are outrageous. Likely top 8 sides that I have us beating are Hawthorn, Adelaide (Etihad), Melbourne (Etihad) and West Coast (Etihad).

I have us losing to Bulldogs, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, St Kilda, Port (At Etihad), Collingwood (Because we just don't beat them twice in a season), Adelaide (AO) and Fremantle (DS).

Round 1 Vs Hawthorn - Win
Round 3 Vs Carlton - Win
Round 5 Vs Collingwood - Win
Round 6 Vs Melbourne - Win
Round 7 Vs Fremantle - Loss
Round 9 Vs West Coast - Win
Round 10 Vs Richmond - Win
Round 11 Vs GWS - Loss
Round 12 Vs Port - Loss
Round 13 Bye
Round 16 Vs Collingwood - Loss
Round 18 Vs Norf - Win
Round 21 Vs Adelaide - Win

13-9. We generally have a few upset wins and drop a few games we should win, but our draw is pretty easy to be honest. None of the wins are outrageous. Likely top 8 sides that I have us beating are Hawthorn, Adelaide (Etihad), Melbourne (Etihad) and West Coast (Etihad).

I have us losing to Bulldogs, Sydney, GWS, Geelong, St Kilda, Port (At Etihad), Collingwood (Because we just don't beat them twice in a season), Adelaide (AO) and Fremantle (DS).

Wed have to be odds on to beat Port and Stkilda at Etihad surely (maybe not saints but certainly port and the saints game is certainly very winnable)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

or if it's just the one game you want, its like $4.90 for a weekly subscription.
Make sure you cancel it before the end of the week or they roll you onto another week automatically.

From All-Star Bomber 18 at BB.

Training Monday 13/2/2017

Headed along to training for approx 1 hour this morning. Windy conditions again, so skills we slightly affected by the conditions.

Boys looked very much up and about as matches are starting this week.

Absent - Redman

Modified Group - Belly, Hooker. Francis, Draper and Stanton

Belly continues to increase workload with straight line running.
Hooker a bit the same, slowly running laps around oval 2 with a few same agility drill thrown in.
Stanton - a few agility drills and then inside (load management I'd say)
Francis - great news, no moon boot! He was on the 2nd oval doing some slow pace run throughs. Shouldn't be far away from being back in training.
Draper - some agility and kicking drills, very slow build up

Boys warmed up with some light kicking and keepings off handball drills.

Eventually got into some structured match pay with the emphasis on breaking out of stoppages, quick ball movement and keeping the ball off the opposition. Boys seem more critical on themselves compared to the start of Jan, a lot swearing at themselves if they missed a target etc. This is what I mean by them being up and about and knowing matches are about to start.

The black team was again loaded with the experienced guys and they were predominately the better team.

Hurley, Hartley and Daniher completed the full session.

Stewart played on Ridley and took some nice marks (he def is better if his not playing on the best defender eg Hurley, therefore suited to a 3rd tall fwd)

Hartely played on Joe, with Joe taking the chocolates.

Brown played fwd matched up on Ambrose - broke even.

Smack and Burger against each other in the ruck.

Happy to answer questions on players but generally if I haven't mentioned them they are tracking as they have been all pre-season.

Just bought tickets for the game in Mackay. Not expecting us to send a full strength team but hope they send at least a couple of stars.

My crotch area just moved.

Loving the contest
Simon Conway February 23, 2017 9:08 PM

A team that wants to move the ball quickly, defends ruthlessly and loves the contest.

That’s the vision for John Worsfold’s 2017 Essendon line-up.

The Bombers Coach outlined his plan in front of more than 500 supporters at the Club’s Season Launch.

“We want to put that all together and be a winning team, it’s about time,” he said.

“We’re ready, but it is going to be tough. No one is going to stand back and let it be easy for us.

“Our aim is to do the hard work in the pre-season, be ready for those tough, uncompromising contests that we’re going to face, put our best foot forward and make our people proud.”

Worsfold said lifting the side’s scoring rate had been a focus over the pre-season.

“We’ve gone out and recruited and developed within and we think can really challenge teams on the scoreboard,” he said.

“We saw the other night that Orazio Fantasia is going to grow as a small forward, we’ve got Travis Colyer, we’ve seen Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Josh Green playing forward, James Stewart from GWS to go alongside the guys that we’ve been building last year as well.

“We want to be a side that moves the ball really quickly into our forward line to make our scoring opportunities even greater and give those guys the chance to do their work.

“That’s the challenge for the rest of the team - the guys in the back half, the midfielders who are going to take risks, move the ball quick, back their skills, back their judgement to get it into our forwards where they can do some work in space.”

Among those midfielders are Jobe Watson, Heath Hocking, Dyson Heppell and David Myers who will bolster the side’s strength around the stoppages.

“We want to be a team that loves the contest,” Worsfold said.

"We’ve got some big, strong midfielders back … who are going to really bring a strong presence at the stoppages for us.

“We’re aiming to love being in a tough, tight contest.”

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2017-02-23/loving-the-contest

We need to see our full midfield next JLT game so we can see if the contested ball is really goingg to be an issue or not.
This is a bit of an issue. I think it will balance out when the game starts to slow down further on the season. I'm also bit worried about the amount of players going after the ball carrier, we're getting burnt on the link ups as we're leavin our opponent and they just handball over the top. You can do this if it pushes them to the boundary n clogs them up. It's so wasteful to leave your opponent and make no impact. Just need to think a step ahead.

This is a bit of an issue. I think it will balance out when the game starts to slow down further on the season. I'm also bit worried about the amount of players going after the ball carrier, we're getting burnt on the link ups as we're leavin our opponent and they just handball over the top. You can do this if it pushes them to the boundary n clogs them up. It's so wasteful to leave your opponent and make no impact. Just need to think a step ahead.

Not too bothered with the second thing there as that will iron itself out once the midfield gets used to who is doing the tackling work and who is spreading.

Anyone know where the VFL practice match is being played next weekend?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back