Training 2017 Preseason Thread

Tippa43

All Australian
Sep 8, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
TRAINING – WEDNESDAY 21st of DECEMBER

So I went down to training for the final session of 2016, and what a willing session it was. So much so I even heard a club official within earshot say something to the effect of, “Well they’ve certainly earned their Christmas pudding today!”

There was full ground match simulation, plenty of physical conditioning and a variety of drills. Focus was on contested aerial situations, run and spread (both offensively and defensively) as well as stoppage and ground ball work. All was completed with the fitness gurus barking the need to maintain a high intensity workrate throughout the entire session.

Things I noted:

Of the ‘returning ten’, the ones that impressed the most were Heppell, Colyer and Myers. Anyone who doesn’t have Myers in their best 22 is barking mad. He looks in ripping condition, is a huge and powerful beast and was hitting targets at all ranges and angles. Also, he seemed to have significantly improved his lateral movement, which bodes well for his inside mid work through 2017. Heppell looks fit and has definitely added a yard of pace. In the match simulation he was seemingly looking to push forward and become a scoring threat – something that would no doubt take him to the next level. Colyer looked explosive and genuinely quick – but more importantly, showed a lovely kicking action and ball striking. Was super clean and good overhead. Looks to be aiming for the high half forward / wingmen role.

Begley looks a beauty. Already an imposing specimen, he runs well, kicks beautifully and had clean hands in the air and on the ground. Will definitely end up our Watson replacement – big bodied inside mid that is dangerous resting forward. For a lump of a lad he is also deceptively explosive in his first few strides, so get ready to watch him burst from congestion despite not having elite top end speed. If there is a spot available come round one, he will be strongly considered.

Clarke has a body that is big and will fill out to be a brutal inside mid. However, he is still a boy and isn’t quite as ‘ready made’ as draft gurus would have you believe. Doesn’t yet have the ‘oomph’ to hit the pack and win the ball against men.

Eades is working hard, has great top end speed and when he doesn’t fumble, breaks the game open. Went toe to toe with Fantasia in a couple of line breaking runs and was every bit as quick as Fanta.

Fantasia to improve again. Speed looks a touch better (hard to believe I know) and has super sticky mitts overhead. Didn’t get beaten one on one that I saw. Should be aiming for over 40 goals in 2017 as well as the odd burst on a wing / onball.

Francis looks huge. Competed well and showed really good top end speed. We all know he has an explosive few strides, but in the run and spread activity his 80 meter surges were bordering on electric! Hope we settle him as the third tall back because he reads the game so naturally from behind the ball. Then, once his confidence is up throw him forward to catch the opposition unaware. I genuinely see him as a Chad Cornes / Luke Hodge hybrid utility. Doesn’t lose aerial contests.

Hartley looks to really be pushing to hold his spot – with Hooker forward he probably retains it. His negating work was excellent but he seemed to really be working hard offensively to create an option when his team won back possession.

Hooker works so hard and is currently being used forward. Had quite a few frustrating moments and didn’t dominate aerially. However, his intensity and workrate found him on the end of spillages and handballs. If he is to play forward, it is this competitiveness as much as anything that will see him play a successful role for the team.

Hurley looks lean and athletic but perhaps not the beast we saw in 2015. Plenty of strength and conditioning work ahead for him, unless he is looking to play a rebounding third tall role??

Kelly looks fantastic. Mops everything up, has a cool head and doesn’t make mistakes. Played deep defence mostly.

Langford definitely being groomed as the inside mid while Laverde looking increasingly like a forward. No doubt both will play both roles over their careers, but at least in the short term this is how the club sees it. Laverde so good 1v1 – made an amazing tackle on Colyer that drew a huge response from his team mates. Looks powerful and explosive and has added size. Would love him to crash packs more because he has the body to do so. Langford on the otherhand is very good in traffic. Was composed and never rushed. Hit most targets and has the Pendlebury-esque time slowing ability. Also looking big and strong, but not with the explosive power of Laverde.

Walla looks to be moving forward – and he was deadly on Wednesday. Super quick, super clean and a brilliant kick. Was either scoring goals or hitting up targets inside 50. Also looked good overhead which was a criticism last year. He and Fantasia will run amok if given the opportunity.

McGrath is an interesting case. Certainly not dominating training. In fact, would go as far as to say he is fairly quiet and unobtrusive. Doesn’t yet have the confidence to impose himself on drills / game scenarios as he did during his underage year. However, we are going to need to wait for NAB 1, NAB 2, NAB 3 and then Round 1 to see why this kid went number one. So much of his play is about seizing moments, changing momentum and driving his team forwards. While training drills will improve the individual sections of his game, his game at large won’t be seen until he actually takes the field. Get ready for desperate defending, excellent hands overhead and on the ground, explosive running, link up play, one – two handball runs and massive linebreaking ability. He is physically ready and over 80+ meters was streaking everyone at the club.

McNeice was impressive – composed under pressure, strong over the ball and was able to execute his footskills well all day. Plays bigger than his profile suggests. Will pressure the small defenders as the club if Wednesday is anything to go by.

Parish has added size and looks like he will be playing a role in the link from midfield to attack. Kept finding space going forward and looked every bit as good as he did last year. Hope he doesn’t get pushed to far outside the contest with our returning bulls taking majority of the inside work.

Stanton had quite a bit of time behind the ball. Read it well, has a mature and good sized body and worked hard. Wonder how effective his footskills will be as a running backman?? Although Matty Boyd has done well so there is precedent there.

Stewart is a beast of a man and moves rapidly for his size. Dwarfed Hurley and had him for speed and agility for much of the day. A powerful specimen and one who could be a large part of the future. He and Daniher could – and I stress could – be quite a combination to match up on.

Watson did plenty of running and physical conditioning. Ate it all up. Is huge and lean and looking incredibly powerful. Excited for what his 2017 will look like.

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
Could Stewart play round one? Sounds great!

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
TRAINING – WEDNESDAY 21st of DECEMBER

So I went down to training for the final session of 2016, and what a willing session it was. So much so I even heard a club official within earshot say something to the effect of, “Well they’ve certainly earned their Christmas pudding today!”

There was full ground match simulation, plenty of physical conditioning and a variety of drills. Focus was on contested aerial situations, run and spread (both offensively and defensively) as well as stoppage and ground ball work. All was completed with the fitness gurus barking the need to maintain a high intensity workrate throughout the entire session.

Things I noted:

Of the ‘returning ten’, the ones that impressed the most were Heppell, Colyer and Myers. Anyone who doesn’t have Myers in their best 22 is barking mad. He looks in ripping condition, is a huge and powerful beast and was hitting targets at all ranges and angles. Also, he seemed to have significantly improved his lateral movement, which bodes well for his inside mid work through 2017. Heppell looks fit and has definitely added a yard of pace. In the match simulation he was seemingly looking to push forward and become a scoring threat – something that would no doubt take him to the next level. Colyer looked explosive and genuinely quick – but more importantly, showed a lovely kicking action and ball striking. Was super clean and good overhead. Looks to be aiming for the high half forward / wingmen role.

Begley looks a beauty. Already an imposing specimen, he runs well, kicks beautifully and had clean hands in the air and on the ground. Will definitely end up our Watson replacement – big bodied inside mid that is dangerous resting forward. For a lump of a lad he is also deceptively explosive in his first few strides, so get ready to watch him burst from congestion despite not having elite top end speed. If there is a spot available come round one, he will be strongly considered.

Clarke has a body that is big and will fill out to be a brutal inside mid. However, he is still a boy and isn’t quite as ‘ready made’ as draft gurus would have you believe. Doesn’t yet have the ‘oomph’ to hit the pack and win the ball against men.

Eades is working hard, has great top end speed and when he doesn’t fumble, breaks the game open. Went toe to toe with Fantasia in a couple of line breaking runs and was every bit as quick as Fanta.

Fantasia to improve again. Speed looks a touch better (hard to believe I know) and has super sticky mitts overhead. Didn’t get beaten one on one that I saw. Should be aiming for over 40 goals in 2017 as well as the odd burst on a wing / onball.

Francis looks huge. Competed well and showed really good top end speed. We all know he has an explosive few strides, but in the run and spread activity his 80 meter surges were bordering on electric! Hope we settle him as the third tall back because he reads the game so naturally from behind the ball. Then, once his confidence is up throw him forward to catch the opposition unaware. I genuinely see him as a Chad Cornes / Luke Hodge hybrid utility. Doesn’t lose aerial contests.

Hartley looks to really be pushing to hold his spot – with Hooker forward he probably retains it. His negating work was excellent but he seemed to really be working hard offensively to create an option when his team won back possession.

Hooker works so hard and is currently being used forward. Had quite a few frustrating moments and didn’t dominate aerially. However, his intensity and workrate found him on the end of spillages and handballs. If he is to play forward, it is this competitiveness as much as anything that will see him play a successful role for the team.

Hurley looks lean and athletic but perhaps not the beast we saw in 2015. Plenty of strength and conditioning work ahead for him, unless he is looking to play a rebounding third tall role??

Kelly looks fantastic. Mops everything up, has a cool head and doesn’t make mistakes. Played deep defence mostly.

Langford definitely being groomed as the inside mid while Laverde looking increasingly like a forward. No doubt both will play both roles over their careers, but at least in the short term this is how the club sees it. Laverde so good 1v1 – made an amazing tackle on Colyer that drew a huge response from his team mates. Looks powerful and explosive and has added size. Would love him to crash packs more because he has the body to do so. Langford on the otherhand is very good in traffic. Was composed and never rushed. Hit most targets and has the Pendlebury-esque time slowing ability. Also looking big and strong, but not with the explosive power of Laverde.

Walla looks to be moving forward – and he was deadly on Wednesday. Super quick, super clean and a brilliant kick. Was either scoring goals or hitting up targets inside 50. Also looked good overhead which was a criticism last year. He and Fantasia will run amok if given the opportunity.

McGrath is an interesting case. Certainly not dominating training. In fact, would go as far as to say he is fairly quiet and unobtrusive. Doesn’t yet have the confidence to impose himself on drills / game scenarios as he did during his underage year. However, we are going to need to wait for NAB 1, NAB 2, NAB 3 and then Round 1 to see why this kid went number one. So much of his play is about seizing moments, changing momentum and driving his team forwards. While training drills will improve the individual sections of his game, his game at large won’t be seen until he actually takes the field. Get ready for desperate defending, excellent hands overhead and on the ground, explosive running, link up play, one – two handball runs and massive linebreaking ability. He is physically ready and over 80+ meters was streaking everyone at the club.

McNeice was impressive – composed under pressure, strong over the ball and was able to execute his footskills well all day. Plays bigger than his profile suggests. Will pressure the small defenders as the club if Wednesday is anything to go by.

Parish has added size and looks like he will be playing a role in the link from midfield to attack. Kept finding space going forward and looked every bit as good as he did last year. Hope he doesn’t get pushed to far outside the contest with our returning bulls taking majority of the inside work.

Stanton had quite a bit of time behind the ball. Read it well, has a mature and good sized body and worked hard. Wonder how effective his footskills will be as a running backman?? Although Matty Boyd has done well so there is precedent there.

Stewart is a beast of a man and moves rapidly for his size. Dwarfed Hurley and had him for speed and agility for much of the day. A powerful specimen and one who could be a large part of the future. He and Daniher could – and I stress could – be quite a combination to match up on.

Watson did plenty of running and physical conditioning. Ate it all up. Is huge and lean and looking incredibly powerful. Excited for what his 2017 will look like.

Any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.
So you're saying we will win the flag?

*cough* there's heaps of training reports on blitz *cough*

xx
I'd prefer to see Jackie posting over here as I stay away but there is a greater audience on blitz, albeit a slightly rabid, echoing and less open to reasonable thought version.

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
Cal thinks McGrath is a lock for round one. There is going to be a tough battle for positions in the backline, so he might be pushed out for a while.
There's no way a first year player is in any way a 'lock' for the first round. Especially with the experience we potentially have back there. Kelly, Bags, and Gleeson all have the runs on the board. Goddard, Stanton, Tippa have all shown that they have attributes that could help going through there. Morgan has an extra uninterupted pre-season behind him. McNeice could have a eye-catching NAB period.

Having said all that I'd love to see him make it impossible to leave him out as I believe his all-round game will benefit us immediately. He's in my best 22 based purely on attributes and hope. But a 'lock'? Hmmm...

There's no way a first year player is in any way a 'lock' for the first round. Especially with the experience we potentially have back there. Kelly, Bags, and Gleeson all have the runs on the board. Goddard, Stanton, Tippa have all shown that they have attributes that could help going through there. Morgan has an extra uninterupted pre-season behind him. McNeice could have a eye-catching NAB period.

Having said all that I'd love to see him make it impossible to leave him out as I believe his all-round game will benefit us immediately. He's in my best 22 based purely on attributes and hope. But a 'lock'? Hmmm...
Yep. I personally only have around dozen "locks" in our side:

Watson, Daniher, Z Merrett, Goddard, Zaharakis, Fantasia, Hurley, Heppell, Leuenberger, Hooker, Colyer

The last 11 spots could go to any of McGrath, Bellchambers, Parish, Stanton, Gleeson, Francis, Baguley, Stewart, Myers, Bird, Brown, Ambrose, Langford, Laverde, Hartley, Hocking, Howlett, Walla, McKenna, Kelly and Dea

Yep. I personally only have around dozen "locks" in our side:

Watson, Daniher, Z Merrett, Goddard, Zaharakis, Fantasia, Hurley, Heppell, Leuenberger, Hooker, Colyer

The last 11 spots could go to any of McGrath, Bellchambers, Parish, Stanton, Gleeson, Francis, Baguley, Stewart, Myers, Bird, Brown, Ambrose, Langford, Laverde, Hartley, Hocking, Howlett, Walla, McKenna, Kelly and Dea

You are spot on with your post - I can't see any more than 13 locks - Can probably add McDonald-Tipungwati and Myers.

You are spot on with your post - I can't see any more than 13 locks - Can probably add McDonald-Tipungwati and Myers.
I think they both play, but not sure that they're "locks"

Jun 9, 2007
un
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think they both play, but not sure that they're "locks"
Parish, Walla, and Myers are 1/2 a season of solid, consistent footy from being locks. Myers; because he hasn't got on the park enough but geez he's a crucial cog if unfettered. Walla; because he needs to show he belongs/has a role in a full strength team. Parish; same as Walla.

14 locks would be very healthy.

We can then dream about Langford, Lav, Franga, and Hartley cementing their places which would leave just 4 spots to haggle over at the selection table each week... Kelly, Bags are surely picked... there'll be healthy competition for spots if they're all up and about.

MightyDon

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
If hocking is fit he plays, has been every bit as important to the mid field as Jobe, who has stepped up to take his spot or fill his role? Toughest player on our list by a fair margin

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
17. ESSENDON

B: Mark Baguley, Michael Hartley, Matt Dea
HB: David Myers, Michael Hurley, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
C: Darcy Parish, Jobe Watson, Brendon Goddard
HF: Travis Colyer, Cale Hooker, Kyle Langford
F: David Zaharakis, Joe Daniher, Orazio Fantasia
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Zach Merrett, Dyson Heppell
I/C: Tom Bellchambers, Jayden Laverde, Brent Stanton, Andrew McGrath

Depth
Midfield: Craig Bird, Alex Morgan, Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett, Dylan Clarke, Kobe Mutch, Sam Draper
Forwards: Yestin Eades, Shaun McKernan, Jackson Merrett, Mason Redman, Jake Long, Conor McKenna, Josh Green, James Stewart, Josh Begley
Defenders: James Kelly, Martin Gleeson, Aaron Francis, Mitch Brown, Patrick Ambrose, Jordan Ridley, Ben McNiece

The Bombers' back half has been bolstered dramatically by the return of Michael Hurley and David Myers, and there is also the possibility of redeploying swingman Cale Hooker to a key defensive role. They have also extended the careers of 2016 top-up players Matt Dea and veteran James Kelly, while Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Michael Hartley gained many admirers last year and should continue to improve in a better team. They also have reasonable back-up with Patrick Ambrose, Mitch Brown and Aaron Francis also capable of playing key roles. However, there is no escaping the consensus that the reconstituted Dons lack the overall class of the bulk of their rivals and it remains to be seen whether they can establish the cohesion required to become a miserly mob

Lol what rubbish our back 6 will have plenty of class.

Also this person has no idea with putting Myers at HB.

However, there is no escaping the consensus that the reconstituted Dons lack the overall class of the bulk of their rivals and it remains to be seen whether they can establish the cohesion required to become a miserly mob

Are these guys for real? After the top three or four it's wide open.

Rancid Trogs

Senior List
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
How quick is McGrath compared to Fanta?

In the initial acceleration phase, Fanta seems to have McGrath covered - although as the forward, Fanta is deciding when they go so is able to create separation. Fantasia does seem more explosive over the first five to ten strides. Over the long surge type runs however, McGrath is every bit as quick if not quicker. Both possess insane lateral movements however, with their agility really setting them apart!

Rancid Trogs

Thanks for your write up. This is exactly the sort of thing we need more of on Bigfooty. Appreciate you taking then time to do this.

Thanks mate, it's no dramas at all. Happy to post some stuff as I see it / write about it. Will hopefully have more time this year and plan on posting a fair bit more!

It appears Draper is not doing any match practice type work. I am told he is not injured. Surely he could be gaining some experience by competing against Lucy. I wonder what the story is.

Not sure. From what I can gather from other posters / the fact that he is quite new to footy, the club must feel as though he needs some serious up-skilling before they introduce him into match simulation. Perhaps they've deemed his lack of 'match awareness' at such a level that throwing him into a competitive situation right now would do more harm than good?

Rancid trogs should be writing for the bombers news app. We need more of this.

Haha, thanks mate. Appreciate the sentiments. That would be a dream job I reckon!

Could Stewart play round one? Sounds great!

Interesting question. Physically, he is ready to go having completed several pre-seasons and looking the imposing figure he does. If his form and confidence is up, I see no reason why he couldn't average between 1 and 2 goals a game this season (somewhere between 20 and 40 goals for the year). He does need to ensure he uses his athleticism to provide defensive pressure inside forward 50 - this will allow all of Hooker, Daniher and Stewart to play forward together - and he will need to be able to provide Leuey with five to ten minutes of ruck respite a quarter. If he can do this, he's probably the recruit of the year, so I get that it's a big ask. But he looks good so far!

So you're saying we will win the flag?

Haha, not quite. I'm sure every club thinks their pre-season is going ace! I think we'll finish somewhere between 6 and 12 (a big range, so not exactly a blood prediction I know). Will depend on how well the returning players adjust to the speed of the game and how cohesively our side gels.

Where's Francis training

Forward so far. Doesn't look as imposing or comfortable there for mine. But has all the attributes to be a sensational forward. I personally would just love to see him destroying forwards like a Michael Hurley sized Luke Hodge would!

17. ESSENDON

Depth
Midfield: Craig Bird, Alex Morgan, Heath Hocking, Ben Howlett, Dylan Clarke, Kobe Mutch, Sam Draper
Forwards: Yestin Eades, Shaun McKernan, Jackson Merrett, Mason Redman, Jake Long, Conor McKenna, Josh Green, James Stewart, Josh Begley
Defenders: James Kelly, Martin Gleeson, Aaron Francis, Mitch Brown, Patrick Ambrose, Jordan Ridley, Ben McNiece

The Bombers' back half has been bolstered dramatically by the return of Michael Hurley and David Myers, and there is also the possibility of redeploying swingman Cale Hooker to a key defensive role. They have also extended the careers of 2016 top-up players Matt Dea and veteran James Kelly, while Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Michael Hartley gained many admirers last year and should continue to improve in a better team. They also have reasonable back-up with Patrick Ambrose, Mitch Brown and Aaron Francis also capable of playing key roles. However, there is no escaping the consensus that the reconstituted Dons lack the overall class of the bulk of their rivals and it remains to be seen whether they can establish the cohesion required to become a miserly mob

Who wrote this rubbish?

JayDon

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2013
Home
AFL Club
Essendon
Tha
17. ESSENDON

Depth

That's a great team! I especially like the Half Backs: One kicks it 70m and the other breaks lines with ball in hand. A forward lines delight! Chaos, mayhem and disorder for the opposing backlines!!!
tenor.gif

Back