Training 2017 - Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How are the ovals marked to the different sizes exactly? Is it just a dude with some marker cones and a really long measuring tape walking around or is it more techy than that?
I think is more techy.

Honestly I think the names on lockers is a nice touch. Everyone whose ever been listed with that number whether they played a game or not. It'd recognise every player we've ever had listed which would be pretty cool. As a club as young as we are that's what I'd do anyway. If Fremantle Dockers was a bit older perhaps it wouldn't fit.

Having said that I see it as a very minor issue. It's certainly not one I see taking away from the standard of the new facility in any shape or form even if it's never done.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

How are the ovals marked to the different sizes exactly? Is it just a dude with some marker cones and a really long measuring tape walking around or is it more techy than that?
The goal posts are places by GPS and the lines marked with a paint sled

Silly question...... but how do they cleanup the other line markings when they change the dimensions? I'm having flashbacks to my school gym with markings for 10 different sporting codes.
Green paint usually, although I have seen a wash out version like a temporary hair dye.

If that is what they use they can train, fire the sprinklers off and it's ready to reset.

Last edited:

Right now there appears to be boundary lines for two ovals.
Steve Rosich was saying yesterday that the set of goal posts at the eastern end are the movable ones.

Laser lined is cheaper for long term , paint just too much of work .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That feature of mirroring the size of the ground that they will play on and setting out the game plan on it is an asset that you can't measure. Who ever requested that feature is a bloody genius.

Overstated SM....All AFL grounds have goal posts at either end & a centre circle.If your good enough,you will win anywhere!

Silly question...... but how do they cleanup the other line markings when they change the dimensions? I'm having flashbacks to my school gym with markings for 10 different sporting codes.
I've seen Adelaide Oval markings being washed off with a high powered hose. Not sure if it's a solvent or something that they use.

Honestly I think the names on lockers is a nice touch. Everyone whose ever been listed with that number whether they played a game or not. It'd recognise every player we've ever had listed which would be pretty cool. As a club as young as we are that's what I'd do anyway. If Fremantle Dockers was a bit older perhaps it wouldn't fit.

Having said that I see it as a very minor issue. It's certainly not one I see taking away from the standard of the new facility in any shape or form even if it's never done.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm a fan too but I'd probably limit it to life members only for some semblance of prestige. Would be a bit weird seeing guys like Clayton Collard, Scott Gumbleton and Joel Houghton up there.

Well yes, I was up on the hill because the ground level view some had today isn't my bag.
The view from up there was distant but still alright. In fact I liked it.

One drill today which had me intrigued and may be a glimpse of a structure Ross is considering, was a forward one late in the session.
It was clearly a forwards drill and included Taberner, Apeness, McCarthy, Kersten, Walters and Ballantyne But, included in the exercise was Hayden Crozier and Brennan Cox. You may recall Crozier was playing forward in the scratchie last week so this looks ominous.
The main surprise to me was Brennan Cox although he has been touted as both a defender and forward. Brennan looked alright too with some nice kicking on show. I won't be surprised if we see some experimental forward structures including Cox and Croz in the wc game on Saturday.

Sean Darcy continued the partnering up with Apeness today and the pair spent close to the entire morning running alongside each other contesting taps and marking. Also late in the morning was a group including Darcy, Apeness, Griffin and Taberner all rotating quickly in stoppage work. Taberner staying down and roving when Darcy and Apeness were contesting the tap and then Darcy doing the ruck roving role when Griffin and Taberner were rucking against each other.
I have noted before how very good Sean Darcy is with the ground ball. He is bloody impressive with the second effort gathering the ball and shooting out clean handballs. I remember a few weeks back hearing Ross up on the scoreboard at Freo Oval heralding the Big Kid after a clean gather and disposal off the ground. Not something you expect to see from such a big man.
We may see an early debut for Darcy.

Today's session although considered the main session this week, was shorter than what we have been doing at Freo Oval. It lasted 100 minutes; nearly forty short of what we have been putting in.

So it is welcome to Cockburn and for me, I have staked out a great elevated position and although I couldn't see it clearly today the boys looked absolutely thrilled yesterday, to finally be at their new home.
There is a grassed area just outside the gym and after training, a number of players brought out dumbells etc and proceeded to work outdoors.

The ground looks awesome.

Everyone in BF should pitch in and get you some binoculars :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back