Training 2017 - Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kersten had a slight injury sustained at the club and doubt it will imoact the start of the season for him.

Logue kicks off both feet nicely. He looks extremely strong. I can't fault his so far and am stoked he is with Freo. If he turns into a mid he'll be incredibly hard to tackle.
any idea which calf it was? :$

going to be a few debuts.
Bennell
McCarthy
Hill
Hamling
Kersten

Balic
Logue
Cox
Ryan
Darcy
Nyhuis

All reasonable ins at some stage.
Hopefully another in: A.Gameplan :D
So excited for 2017. Can already laugh at 2016 because the only way is up!

going to be a few debuts.

Balic
Logue
Cox
Ryan
Darcy
Nyhuis

All reasonable ins at some stage.

Let's not put too many expectations on Darcy, Cox, Duman or Strnadica. Them playing games next year would put them ahead of schedule. Honestly all four have a bit to go physically to be in contention for games whether it's fitness, agility or putting on more weight. Most first rounders (especially top ten picks) and mature agers though it's quite a reasonable expectation they play at least a few games. I think most expect Balic to play as well. Nyhuis at the end of last season had a bit to work on to get games IMO. There's enough there to see how he could be an AFL player over time but let's not get too excited just yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play but wouldn't be too surprised if he didn't either. Deluca is probably more likely to debut given we will be going into the season with less midfield depth outside the best 22 than we have previously.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's not put too many expectations on Darcy, Cox, Duman or Strnadica. Them playing games next year would put them ahead of schedule. Honestly all four have a bit to go physically to be in contention for games whether it's fitness, agility or putting on more weight. Most first rounders (especially top ten picks) and mature agers though it's quite a reasonable expectation they play at least a few games. I think most expect Balic to play as well. Nyhuis at the end of last season had a bit to work on to get games IMO. There's enough there to see how he could be an AFL player over time but let's not get too excited just yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play but wouldn't be too surprised if he didn't either. Deluca is probably more likely to debut given we will be going into the season with less midfield depth outside the best 22 than we have previously.

Why do you think we have less midfield depth? Barlow is the only regular best 22 midfielder who has left and he is immediately covered by B Hill. Mzungu and de Boer would be carving it up for Peel, and while that is the definition of depth Ryan as a mature defender immediately releases Weller and Balic becomes available after having his rehabilitation ticked off.

Grey and Deluca are now mature players with several preseasons in them, ready to rumble, and Langdon should be crashing the door down.

Not having a crack at you but I don't see any issues with our midfield depth.

Why do you think we have less midfield depth? Barlow is the only regular best 22 midfielder who has left and he is immediately covered by B Hill. Mzungu and de Boer would be carving it up for Peel, and while that is the definition of depth Ryan as a mature defender immediately releases Weller and Balic becomes available after having his rehabilitation ticked off.

Grey and Deluca are now mature players with several preseasons in them, ready to rumble, and Langdon should be crashing the door down.

Not having a crack at you but I don't see any issues with our midfield depth.

You're entitled to your opinion but for me I wanted us to draft one or two mids in the drafts. Most weeks we played at least two of Barlow, Mzungu, De Boer and Suban. We won't see the first three in freo colours again and tbh playing Suban just shows you need to find more midfielders (that can be from within btw). Lets not pretend we know what we'd get from Grey and/or Deluca in the midfield at AFL level either. I'll stick with my opinion until either I'm proven right or wrong or the season ends (I wouldn't consider myself right or wrong if we never have more than two injuries in the midfield and Suban barely plays).

Strange. If that is true then his time trial hasn't improved at all since coming into the AFL system. I suppose adding some bulk could be the cause.

I listened to a coach calling the times as the runners crossed the finishing line.

Hill has been running 2km time trials with Hawthorn and found the last km very taxing. So we will see if he gets better after Christmas for the second time trial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yarran apparently was sick on Fri. Didn't attend the jumper presentation so probably still not well.

Prepare yourself for the unsubstantiated rumours.;)
Crumpet face please don't take this post seriously.

You're entitled to your opinion but for me I wanted us to draft one or two mids in the drafts. Most weeks we played at least two of Barlow, Mzungu, De Boer and Suban. We won't see the first three in freo colours again and tbh playing Suban just shows you need to find more midfielders (that can be from within btw). Lets not pretend we know what we'd get from Grey and/or Deluca in the midfield at AFL level either. I'll stick with my opinion until either I'm proven right or wrong or the season ends (I wouldn't consider myself right or wrong if we never have more than two injuries in the midfield and Suban barely plays).

Freo already draft the kid that are not mid , no point continue with negative spin. Again not having a go at you, balic , blakely will spend sometime with peel if Neale,fyfe and Mundy all in good form . with possible rotation with s.hill and Walters in there depend on game day opposition.

I was at training and watched Logue closely. For anyone concerned about his kicking, don't be, it's absolutely fine. He is an extremely solid unit, his legs are like Fyfe's already and he looks like he's the sort of bloke that could captain the team in future years. He's a supreme looking specimen for afl IMO and I think we got an absolute beauty here. That's MO.
Did you see if he had any of his kids with him?

Freo already draft the kid that are not mid , no point continue with negative spin. Again not having a go at you, balic , blakely will spend sometime with peel if Neale,fyfe and Mundy all in good form . with possible rotation with s.hill and Walters in there depend on game day opposition.

Look I see it very much the same but I don't want to see much of S.Hill or Walters on the inside. I had Blakely as part of my best 22 a month or so before the draft with Balic outside it. Suban and Langdon (had him emergency I think) were the only other two mids outside my best 22. I'd swap D.Pearce for Langdon in a second but I was trying to predict a best 22 not just posting my opinion. I honestly think the club has taken a slight risk here which isn't always a bad thing. We can have an extra year of development into guys like Cox, Darcy, Strnadica etc before we say goodbye to Sandilands, Johnson, Griffin and Dawson within the next two years. Long term it could be a great move, we are alway saying talls take longer etc etc but I see Deluca as more likely to play than most of you guys because we don't have Barlow, Mzungu and De Boer is his way anymore. I honestly think he's more likely to get a game next year than Darcy or Cox and about as likely as Nyhuis at worst.

Yarran apparently was sick on Fri. Didn't attend the jumper presentation so probably still not well.

Prepare yourself for the unsubstantiated rumours.;)

He was fully sick and skipped it to smoke some durries aye cuz. Oh wait. You meant rumours *not* starting from our own board. Carry on

Look I see it very much the same but I don't want to see much of S.Hill or Walters on the inside. I had Blakely as part of my best 22 a month or so before the draft with Balic outside it. Suban and Langdon (had him emergency I think) were the only other two mids outside my best 22. I'd swap D.Pearce for Langdon in a second but I was trying to predict a best 22 not just posting my opinion. I honestly think the club has taken a slight risk here which isn't always a bad thing. We can have an extra year of development into guys like Cox, Darcy, Strnadica etc before we say goodbye to Sandilands, Johnson, Griffin and Dawson within the next two years. Long term it could be a great move, we are alway saying talls take longer etc etc but I see Deluca as more likely to play than most of you guys because we don't have Barlow, Mzungu and De Boer is his way anymore. I honestly think he's more likely to get a game next year than Darcy or Cox and about as likely as Nyhuis at worst.
Yeah I was worried about our midfield depth as well during the draft but I think we have a lot of defenders that can play through the midfield if required. Based on what I saw at training the other day Hughes and Nyhuis could be added to the mix. Logue, Luke Ryan and Duman have all had experience playing as mids. Mundy, SHill, Crozier and Weller can all be released to the midfield with our new defender depth. Other than Barlow we haven't lost a lot at AFL level imo - and hopefully we add Bennell and Balic as balanced mids next year.

Potential Mids: Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, Bennell, SHill, BHill, Walters, DPearce, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Tucker, Balic, Suban, Hughes, Nyhuis, Logue, LRyan, Grey, Deluca, Duman.

So I'd say over half our list could play midfield - that seems enough to work with.

Yeah I was worried about our midfield depth as well during the draft but I think we have a lot of defenders that can play through the midfield if required. Based on what I saw at training the other day Hughes and Nyhuis could be added to the mix. Logue, Luke Ryan and Duman have all had experience playing as mids. Mundy, SHill, Crozier and Weller can all be released to the midfield with our new defender depth. Other than Barlow we haven't lost a lot at AFL level imo - and hopefully we add Bennell and Balic as balanced mids next year.

Potential Mids: Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, Bennell, SHill, BHill, Walters, DPearce, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Crozier, Weller, Blakely, Langdon, Tucker, Balic, Suban, Hughes, Nyhuis, Logue, LRyan, Grey, Deluca, Duman.

So I'd say over half our list could play midfield - that seems enough to work with.
Agree :), next year can always add a gun mid in the first round , as t all always need time to develop .

Well yeah, Barlow and Suban played around 13 games each as they were best 22, so your point about most weeks 2 of those players being in the side is in line with my comment that Barlow is the only significant loss, especially when there is no doubt B Hill will play every game he is available.

Deboer and Mzungu played around 5 each which is fairly insignificant in a discussion about having reduced depth. I expect Balic, Langdon and Ryan to contribute more than 10 games between them, and I doubt Grey or Deluca will get many games dues to our midfield depth.

The point for me about your list of named players is that Duman is the only one unlikely to be considered, where as last season that list effectively included Fyfe, Bennell, Balic, Morabito, Deluca and Grey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back