Training 2017 - Preseason Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
Training watchers, does the skills training look like it's an extension of what we tried to do last preseason? Last year I thought we were being pretty ambitious trying to play like Hawthorn after one preseason but if skills development is a part of longer-view plan then I think it's worth persevering with over multiple preseasons, with the addition of running being a focus.

Has anybody seen Lyon at training sessions? I couldn't see him out on the ground for the brief time I was there today.

He was out there. He was mainly over on the scoreboard side (I think) and then during the match sim was over near the interchange benches.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Couple of things from today's training, don't want to just bang on about the same things each time but the same guys look set for a big season based on what I have seen on the track.
  • Fyfe - Just an absolute beast, and seems to be quietly going about the job. There was one drill where Brad Hill thought he would just scoot around Nat - BIG mistake, Nat buried him in a great tackle. His kicking is also very good, the selection of a target and the execution.
  • Son Son - He seems to be intent on working harder than anyone else out there. He runs at top speed in all the drills, his voice is the one you can clearly hear all through the session and his kicking is without question a class above anyone else in the team.
  • Sandi - I have a feeling he is cherry rip e for a big season this year. He has trained hard since the beginning, so I suspect his load is just being lightened up a little. I'm tipping he is going to be a weapon with the changes to the third man up rule.
  • Cam Mac - Every now and then he just picks a ball up and pings a shot from 50 metres, and he never seems to miss. The kid has one of the most natural kicking actions you will ever see (as opposed to Tabs) and his enthusiasm on the track is infectious. Seems to me he is exactly where he wants to be and will be a Freo boy for life.
  • Michael Apeness - Put on an exhibition for those of us under the moreton bay figs. In the end to end simulations whenever he was matched up one on one he seemed to just clunk the mark so cleanly. Some of the others were a bit dicey, but if he can provide that outlet at wing / half back I think it might solve a lot of our problems from last year where we just couldn't clear from defense.
  • Kersten - He is another who seems to be a really accurate kick for goal. Where many of the guys were missing the shots from the pocket I was watching, he and Cam Mac nailed everything, and they all seemed to fly perfectly through the air. Guys like that don't need to get as many opportunities as a guy like Chris Mayne because I think they will nail most "gettable" shots.
  • Sean Darcy - OK, I'll go out on a limb and say that I think he will get games as a forward / ruck before the season is out. He will take a couple of years to develop to his full potential, but he is already a strong mark and good kick in front of goals, just needs to build up his endurance and he seems like he is working hard to do that.
  • Hamling - Looks like a natural defender out there, as evidenced by his shithouse kicking for goal. Is quick off the mark, reads the play well and is rarely beaten in the contest. I think he will be a really handy addition, and our backline stocks are starting to look a little stronger.
  • Logue - While he is still very raw and makes some mistakes, he doesn't look out of place physically out there and he certainly has something about him. We could see him getting games before the year is out.
Some of the things I didn't like (just so I'm not seen as a sycophant).
  • There is still too much aimless kicking in the backline for my liking, and the same guys seem to hold it up a lot. Looking at you Ibbo, and also Johnno. In all of the end to end sims when the ball was moved quickly we looked slick and when the ball was held up in the backline we got bogged down and often took poor options which were easily closed down. I think it is crucial that we get the ball into the hands of the guys who can take the game on quickly and hit a target up the field. The absolute standout in this aspect for me is Walters, who run his guts out to make position then wheels and invariably hits a good target down the field. If we can get guys like Crozier and Weller doing the same thing we have half a chance of being a dangerous rebounding team.
  • Uber was walking laps slowly again and is a long way off rejoining the main group. We may not even see him at Peel this season from the sound of it which is a real shame as the coaching staff obviously see something in him.
  • With a couple of notable exceptions out goal kicking is still bloody atrocious. I honestly don't know how guys get to this level of footy with some of the kicking actions on display out there! Unfortunately this has been a bit of an Achilles heel for us for a number of seasons, yet there really doesn't seem to be any real coaching / mentoring in this area - just keep taking shots and hope for the best.
Overall I feel really enthusiastic about how the guys are training this year as opposed to last year. Yes, there is a lot of emphasis on skills again, but the running loads and intensity all round seems to be a lot higher this year than last year. It is telling that a guy like Sutty who can second in the 3 km time trial is still running lap after lap, and looks great doing it. I think he and Ballas are on a modified program, but still good to see them getting miles into the legs - that will be crucial when the rubber hits the road.

As Ross said last year - strap yourself in!

DannyTheDoorman

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Hajduk Split
Has anybody seen Lyon at training sessions? I couldn't see him out on the ground for the brief time I was there today.
Yep he was there for the full on match sims and he had one of the staff in the pink official runners top running messages and he was standing on the boundary where the visiting teams come out at the Souths Changerooms.

Halfbaked

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
  • With a couple of notable exceptions out goal kicking is still bloody atrocious. I honestly don't know how guys get to this level of footy with some of the kicking actions on display out there! Unfortunately this has been a bit of an Achilles heel for us for a number of seasons, yet there really doesn't seem to be any real coaching / mentoring in this area - just keep taking shots and hope for the best.
I could not agree more about the goal kicking, too many times after a drill they just take shot at goal with out any real intent.
One team I played for ANY miss shot at training resulted in 5 push ups . It also meant that your team mates would take the piss if you started missing too many.
The result was that every shot was taken very seriously and under a bit of pressure ( ok not match pressure but still pressure.)

Sorry Dudley Docker I some how ****ed up Quoting your post.

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
Michael Apeness - Put on an exhibition for those of us under the moreton bay figs. In the end to end simulations whenever he was matched up one on one he seemed to just clunk the mark so cleanly. Some of the others were a bit dicey, but if he can provide that outlet at wing / half back I think it might solve a lot of our problems from last year where we just couldn't clear from defense.
Appreciate the detail DD!
If Apeness is out of the rehab group it'll be his best preseason yet.I've always been hopeful that he'd get on the pitch and show us what he's worth.Clunking marks is great as he's a pretty solid kick for goal and as you say we need defensive outlets;but he will also be great value because he contests and almost always at least halves the marking duel.We've got a pretty dynamic mosquito fleet especially if the likes of Bennell(brute mosquito) and even Weller are rotating through there.Sounds good and we may even have the unheard of circumstance where there is competition for tall forward spots!
Did you notice who he was outmarking??

kp junior

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
I could not agree more about the goal kicking, too many times after a drill they just take shot at goal with out any real intent.
One team I played for ANY miss shot at training resulted in 5 push ups . It also meant that your team mates would take the piss if you started missing too many.
The result was that every shot was taken very seriously and under a bit of pressure ( ok not match pressure but still pressure.)

Sorry Dudley Docker I some how stuffed up Quoting your post.

Yep they should take 50 set shots from set positions every session, and all should be scored and recorded. Keep a scoreboard of who is leading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Appreciate the detail DD!
If Apeness is out of the rehab group it'll be his best preseason yet.I've always been hopeful that he'd get on the pitch and show us what he's worth.Clunking marks is great as he's a pretty solid kick for goal and as you say we need defensive outlets;but he will also be great value because he contests and almost always at least halves the marking duel.We've got a pretty dynamic mosquito fleet especially if the likes of Bennell(brute mosquito) and even Weller are rotating through there.Sounds good and we may even have the unheard of circumstance where there is competition for tall forward spots!
Did you notice who he was outmarking??
Sorry mate, can't remember - joys of getting old :)

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
It sounds a little disturbing that goal kicking seems an afterthought instead of a key focus. Is it really a glorified cool down?
Not a cool down unfortunately, it is done several times though the session. I am hoping I gets more serious soon, I do remember a couple of years ago when they had to do push ups after misses.

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
For those who missed it, the AFLW Dockers beat the Adelaide Crows earlier today in their first ever practice match - a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. (Technically this is still pre-season related... just for the women's game)

Link to the replay: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/crows-v-freo-trial-game.1156184/ - put your bets on a Freo AFLW premiership now, whiles the odds are still reasonable.

PS: Keep a really close eye on Houghton (no: 16) in this match - she moves like greased lightning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back