Training 2017 - Preseason Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With only around 5 weeks until our first pre season game hopefully the rehab group is non existent by then but it looks like there might be a few still in recovery mode ? Hopefully bennell and Alex Pearce can get a few weeks of training in the main group as well as a few others that are important if freo our to press for a finals birth after a total fail 2016 season

With only around 5 weeks until our first pre season game hopefully the rehab group is non existent by then but it looks like there might be a few still in recovery mode ? Hopefully bennell and Alex Pearce can get a few weeks of training in the main group as well as a few others that are important if freo our to press for a finals birth after a total fail 2016 season

I would rather give them an extra 2 or 3 weeks of training than rush them back. We rushed back Mundy last year, and was poor all year.

The talk was Bennell would miss the 1st 5-6 weeks of the year.

Alex Pearce is the interesting one. It was a broken leg so I guess it really does need a good 12 months or so but hopefully he can move into the main group training group in the next month or two. Bennell, barring further set backs, should also appear next month.

Any timeline on Lachie Neale? 3 sets of surgery but hopefully with the main group soon.

No Ballas, Neale out there this AM. There was this relatively smallish guy in the ball movement drill in a red vest playing against the Cam-Logue-Tabs group with deLuca and Collins that I didn't recognise. Quick and mobile. Does anyone who was there know who he is? They were in the group closest to the club rooms.

No Ballas, Neale out there this AM. There was this relatively smallish guy in the ball movement drill in a red vest playing against the Cam-Logue-Tabs group with deLuca and Collins that I didn't recognise. Quick and mobile. Does anyone who was there know who he is? They were in the group closest to the club rooms.
Grey?

Another guess smallish , umm Luke Ryan ? Hoping is my buddy but he is not that quick and mobile .

With all the interest in subes, I've had to tighten the odds with my underground bookie service and he's now at $2 for the brownlow, norm smith, all australian trifecta. Anyone wishing to give me *cough* get on these excellent odds PM me

A few observations from the session this morning.

Ballas and Lachie came out after the main session and did some run throughs with Grey and Bennell. Bennell then went off on his own doing some slow running. Bennell is in great nick - you'd be battling to be able to stretch any skin to fold.

Big Sean is a footballer first and athlete second like Cam Mac. He has decent skills for a big guy and hoovered up a half volley without any problems at all. He still has some fitness work to do though. He had the head wobble going running laps with Collins and some of the other guys but he kept going. Sam was checking to see how he was doing - nice to see the boys supporting each other. I noticed Mundy struggling during some of the endurance running. Hopefully he is just slowly building and looking after himself.

Fyfe and Sonny were their usual selves - dynamic and looking for perfection. Brad Hill loves to run offensively and if we win the clearance battle he will be one of the beneficiaries. Blakely looks impressive.

Sandi did the match simulations and seems to be building towards the start of the season. Big Griff running laps but looks ok. Little Griff matching up on KPF in the match simulation. Lachie W playing in the back half. Johnno looking smooth, distributing nicely and managing to keep his shorts up.

Apeness has thighs like a Norwegian speed skater - they've got to weigh 25kg each.

Harley Balic running laps at the end with strapping on his lower calf.

A lot more running than this time last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To add:

Johnno was moving well, barring off-field issues, I think he'll be ready to go.

Blakey needs a haircut and a shave, as he has the Castaway Tom Hanks vibe going! From a footy perspective, he is also looking bigger and stronger in the drills, more difficult to take down. It's a concern Neale is not yet on the park, but Connor will be a good inside option until he comes back.

Big Griff was looking unrestricted in the kick to kick drills as well, so hopefully he stays healthy as a back up to Sandi.

There weren't many watchers where I was standing! I wanted to stay on the far stands, but my husband was only willing to indulge me so much and wanted to stay in the shade, so we stayed close to the club rooms instead.

Brad Hill loves to run offensively and if we win the clearance battle he will be one of the beneficiaries.
I'm really hoping when we are dicking around with it at half back after a shallow kick in and the player with the ball looks upfield and sees nothing Brad Hill will be the guy that runs into space to make the play. One of the signs of Freo at their worst is when everyone goes into their shell and no one wants to take responsibility for trying to make the play. Brad is never shy about running to space and creating an option, its one of his most valuable assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back