Training 2017 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we saw glimpses of Mayes coming together as a footballer last season. He is one that I'm expecting to have a much improved 2017.
These sentiments have been echoed every year since we drafted him. In fact since his first year Sam Mayes has gone backwards significantly, yes last year he showed brief signs of improvement (might I add to the standard of his play in his first year) but I can't see him suddenly blowing up and being what we all originally thought he could be.

Personally I have moved on from the likes of Sam Mayes, I don't think he will ever reach the heights we have hoped he will achieve. To be honest I wouldn't even have him best 22 next year, the competition for spots in the HF, HBF, wing will be intense next season and I wouldn't be surprised to see Fagan and co favour the young future over the more older has beens. Sam has had his chance to prove he is AFL worthy. I hope we don't persist with his mediocrity anymore.

I think Mayes will be relegated in the pecking order in time by these latest recruits, but at the moment, until we see what the recruits can offer and what improvement he can achieve over last year, he is still in our best 22 or so players. I suspect his style of play will appeal to Fagan.

That sounds ridiculous.

Must be keen to impress the coach. or he's just fibbing

It is worth remembering that for a few years there we switched from the 3km to a 2km for our fitness test. We swapped back last year I think and so with only last year and this for most records there is a pretty good chance that he could be correct.

It's all in the head for Mayesy. Classic anxiety bunny. When he feels comfortable and confident the sky is the limit. Get around him.
I think that is borne out by his first year when he clearly played with freedom and without concerns for his position in the team. Having said that, there is nagging suspicion that he was slightly over-rated at pick 8.

I think that is borne out by his first year when he clearly played with freedom and without concerns for his position in the team. Having said that, there is nagging suspicion that he was slightly over-rated at pick 8.

Talent definitely isn't an issue. He could be a great attacking weapon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His new teammates have already nicknamed him "Bags" but draftee Hugh McCluggage won't be packing his anytime soon, declaring he's in for the long haul with the Brisbane Lions.

Described by many recruiters as the best natural footballer in this year's draft, midfielder McCluggage trained with the Lions for the first time on Wednesday in scorching 30 degree heat at Yeronga.

That has got to be the best news for you blokes. You've got a ripper there. Well done!:thumbsu:

i used to work with a fella we gave the nick name suitcase because we had to carry him, he despised it so pretty soon suitcase took hold and still 30 years later it gets used.

another good one we used back in the day was blister ie. he turned up after all the work was done.

or "beastmode, bags and strawbs dominate the middle and schac attack kicks a bag." or "the door swings open for Hinge, set to make his debut in round 1." or "Lyons outstanding on debut for the Lions."

that'll do, i have far too much idle time on my hands today.

It's all in the head for Mayesy. Classic anxiety bunny. When he feels comfortable and confident the sky is the limit. Get around him.

I've got an idea!! Let's take him out of his comfort zone at HFF where he is regularly kicking goals and progressing well, to put him at HBF where he is obviously out of place, and then watch him drop form and confidence.

Should work well. And I mean, we've got heaps of goalkickers- right?

I've got an idea!! Let's take him out of his comfort zone at HFF where he is regularly kicking goals and progressing well, to put him at HBF where he is obviously out of place, and then watch him drop form and confidence.

He was actually really good in defence as he developed there though

As has been mentioned a million times; Mayes wants to play down back.

or "beastmode, bags and strawbs dominate the middle and schac attack kicks a bag." or "the door swings open for Hinge, set to make his debut in round 1." or "Lyons outstanding on debut for the Lions."

that'll do, i have far too much idle time on my hands today.
Shame Hinge won't get an opportunity to play on Dawes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back