Training 2017 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely stinking this morning very muggy. Boys look all in very good nick, Harris has put on some obvious size. Rocky looking leaner than I have ever seen him. Also think Harwood may have dropped a bit of weight as well looking in top notch.

Keays is starting to look like pop eye, been focusing on those party arms, good for the way he plays I guess had a very nice fend off all through the juniors. Any questions feel free to ask.

Skinner doesn't look like he's had a knee reco at all, looked an absolute machine running laps. Very excited about him and reckon we might see him back a lot earlier than planned.

Luckily it wasn't yesterday in that disgusting 90% humidity. Today is only ~50%.

Did you notice Keays doing any non-preferred work?

Leemas thanks for your report. Couple of questions if you don't mind? 1. In regards to McCluggage what is it specifically that stands out? It has been noted that he just nows how to get the football and what do with it when he gets it. 2. What was Berry's kicking like? Was a bit concerned in regards when I went back and looked at his draft clips. 3. Cox, was he in the midfield group of defenders? Lastly, 4. Hipwood size wise, does he look like he has put much on? Reckon he will be quite dangerous as he gets older/bigger. Apologies for all of the questions and thanks in advance.

Leemas thanks for your report. Couple of questions if you don't mind? 1. In regards to McCluggage what is it specifically that stands out? It has been noted that he just nows how to get the football and what do with it when he gets it. 2. What was Berry's kicking like? Was a bit concerned in regards when I went back and looked at his draft clips. 3. Cox, was he in the midfield group of defenders? Lastly, 4. Hipwood size wise, does he look like he has put much on? Reckon he will be quite dangerous as he gets older/bigger. Apologies for all of the questions and thanks in advance.
It's like watching Nigel lappin x Simon black move around the park. He just glides across the ground so effortlessly, one touch player and didn't see him miss a target.

Not familiar with berry as still getting used to all the new blokes. I'll try get down more often so I can wrap my head around it all better and give more detailed reports.

Can't remember which group Cedric was with however he really is a beautiful kick of the football on both sides.

Hipwood he bulked up and looked in good nick. What impressed me about all the boys was not just the fact the vast majority have bulked up but also how lean they all look. not an ounce of fat anywhere on the boys. They all look really really in shape.

It's like watching Nigel lappin x Simon black move around the park. He just glides across the ground so effortlessly, one touch player and didn't see him miss a target.

Not familiar with berry as still getting used to all the new blokes. I'll try get down more often so I can wrap my head around it all better and give more detailed reports.

Can't remember which group Cedric was with however he really is a beautiful kick of the football on both sides.

Hipwood he bulked up and looked in good nick. What impressed me about all the boys was not just the fact the vast majority have bulked up but also how lean they all look. not an ounce of fat anywhere on the boys. They all look really really in shape.
Phwoar, McCluggage is Black and Lappin's love child :cool:. Not to make a direct correlation to Hawthorn because of Fagan but the one of the things that always stood out to me in regards to their players is their build and how lean they are without being overly big/bulky. Great to hear that our players have made an improvement in this area and an improvement in their professionalism. Thanks again.

Luckily it wasn't yesterday in that disgusting 90% humidity. Today is only ~50%.

Did you notice Keays doing any non-preferred work?
Yep needs a bit more work hahahah. They were all doing duel sided work and a lot of focus

Went along to training today, as Leemas said, it was a fairly warm day. Managed to take a few pictures. I'll upload the rest when I get home, but here's a sample of the better ones so far. I'm only an amateur photographer so if anyone has any tips or advice (especially with the focus in some pictures), let me know :)

DSC_1357.JPG

DSC_1402.JPG

DSC_1425.JPG

DSC_1469.JPG

DSC_1419.JPG

Not sure that holding is quite legal at the clearances

Hugh is seriously a talent. He just oozes class whenever he has the ball. Had my eye on him from the start and he hit almost every target. No wonder Robbo is checking him closely. Cox too, equally good on both right and left foot.

Hugh is seriously a talent. He just oozes class whenever he has the ball. Had my eye on him from the start and he hit almost every target. No wonder Robbo is checking him closely. Cox too, equally good on both right and left foot.
He really is the most exciting prospect we have. I think Hugh will reach some serious heights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was the forgotten man Freeman been at training? Really needs to up his professionalism from what I've heard and if he can get his head around what it takes to be a professional AFL player I think he could get an contract extension.
He's a monster of a guy

Freeman reminds of Jenkins. Will take a while for him to fill out and become a consistent player but well worth persisting with for a few more years.

Skinner doesn't look like he's had a knee reco at all, looked an absolute machine running laps. Very excited about him and reckon we might see him back a lot earlier than planned.

Geez that sounds like great news, given his injury history.

Photo of Daniel Rich must have been flipped somehow, looks like the ball is going onto his right boot.

In all seriousness a focus on the whole team developing their opposite could be one of those things that sees Rich actually take another step as a player. He'll still be tagged but if he can't be completely corralled into being unable to dispose of the ball, which the opposition seem to find easy a pie; tagger or not, it could be a big step up for his game.

How the he'll have we let our skulls slip so far under Leppa? Mind boggling really... Wtf have we been doing the past couple of years.

I think we may do a classic one step back two steps forward this year especially with us taking a lot of training time trying to improve basic skills but glad we have finally gotten in someone who knows how to guide and teach a group of young players.

How the he'll have we let our skulls slip so far under Leppa? Mind boggling really... Wtf have we been doing the past couple of years.

I think we may do a classic one step back two steps forward this year especially with us taking a lot of training time trying to improve basic skills but glad we have finally gotten in someone who knows how to guide and teach a group of young players.
They spent too much time behind a desk and in front of a computer, trying to learn Leppas confusing game plan.
Not enough time for skills.

They were awful under Leppa but I don't recall it being a focus under Vossy either. tbh I just think for whatever reason it's been completely neglected for almost a decade at the Lions which I think has been apparent on the field. Keeping a lid on it but very refreshing to hear for it to finally be a primary focus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back