Analysis Rank 'em 2017 Trade Period synopsis

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Isolating just trade business and nothing else, Essendon still did remarkably well. Smith a near AA forward/mid, Stringer comes in and kicks 30 goals in a season where Orazio missed heaps and he’ll continue to improve, and Saad has been huge off half-back for them. They aren’t the reason Essendon failed in 2018.

Port? Enormous failure. Only a Motlop showdown winner is all they have to show for their pick-ups, and their business may well have cost them Polec a year later. Yuck.

Tbonefreo

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2013
Wagga
AFL Club
Fremantle
Isolating just trade business and nothing else, Essendon still did remarkably well. Smith a near AA forward/mid, Stringer comes in and kicks 30 goals in a season where Orazio missed heaps and he’ll continue to improve, and Saad has been huge off half-back for them. They aren’t the reason Essendon failed in 2018.

Port? Enormous failure. Only a Motlop showdown winner is all they have to show for their pick-ups, and their business may well have cost them Polec a year later. Yuck.
What sort of money would Watts be on? 350k - 450k?

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics

We also transitioned a few of our 22 this year
Bags went from back pocket to fwd pocket
McGrath from defender to mid
Langford in for Watson

And we didnt really have daniher at all.

The coaching structure we had was our only mis-step all year. Neeld is gone, hoping caracella comes in to replace him
Missing worpel by a single pick is annoying but ah well.

A fit daniher and fantasia for rd1 next year and another good off season in trades and drafting and we should be nicely embedded in finals next year

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because replacing experienced young players with draft picks takes years to pay off, and because ins and outs dont usually dictate whether your other players improve or decline next year.

It seemed that way at the time, but Cameron was playing like he was worth the price, until he got injured.
Pick 12 for CC was never overs. It was his value last year as a contracted player. One of the hardest types of players to find are those that possess extreme line breaking speed and ability to hit the scoreboard and turn a game. Thats what CC has.
Brisbane got a player who wants to be there and was worth pick 12, we got an SA kid who has alot of potential.
Hopefully Fog develops and its a win win.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pick 12 for CC was never overs. It was his value last year as a contracted player. One of the hardest types of players to find are those that possess extreme line breaking speed and ability to hit the scoreboard and turn a game. Thats what CC has.
Brisbane got a player who wants to be there and was worth pick 12, we got an SA kid who has alot of potential.
Hopefully Fog develops and its a win win.

Disagree. Look at Ronke and Willie Rioli. Small forwards isn't a part of the ground you want to make a huge investment in.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
CC isnt a small forward. He is 6ft tall for petes sake.
He can play that role, but he can cut teams up from a wing or playing off HBF.

But he hasn't shown it. He was ineffective up the field this season pre-injury. At some point the overwhelming evidence has to convince you that he can't play up the field.

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
But he hasn't shown it. He was ineffective up the field this season pre-injury. At some point the overwhelming evidence has to convince you that he can't play up the field.
I guess I will have to forget the games he played for Adelaide then....
I have seen more if him playing for Adelaide than you have of him playing for Brisbane.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I guess I will have to forget the games he played for Adelaide then....
I have seen more if him playing for Adelaide than you have of him playing for Brisbane.

Congratulations. This achievement must fill you with a great amount of pride.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Which games did he cut teams up from HBF?

He used to come off the back of the square for the Crows at centre bounces with some success. I assume that's what he's referring to. Cleric clearly has some problems with the names of positions on the field.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Both failing to make finals after doing so the year before...
A lesson there somewhere... Ask Juddy about it from earlier in the year when he raised concerns for them on FC.
Probably had more to do with being given a draw which included Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Port Adelaide twice.

But I think this was part of the reason we targeted players under 25. There was a view that the list wasn't yet fully ready, but getting players of that age means that they'll be long term contributors.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Probably had more to do with being given a draw which included Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Port Adelaide twice.

But I think this was part of the reason we targeted players under 25. There was a view that the list wasn't yet fully ready, but getting players of that age means that they'll be long term contributors.
No one expected the hawks and pies to be top 4 teams
And funnily enough had we beat either of them twice, we'd be in finals and they wouldnt be top 4
Beat both of them twice and we're top 4

Such a wasted season

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
No one expected the hawks and pies to be top 4 teams
And funnily enough had we beat either of them twice, we'd be in finals and they wouldnt be top 4
Beat both of them twice and we're top 4

Such a wasted season
Well no, I'm obviously talking in hindsight. But with hindsight, we got one of the toughest draws in the league. Add some key injuries, obvious issues with the playing group early, and it all went to hell.

But that said, against the top 4 teams we played them 7 times for a single win. Making finals this year wouldn't have mattered. The key to us is to get JD and Raz back, and further develop Langford, McKenna, McGrath, Parish etc. We need further improvement before we'll be a top 4 side, but SSS certainly help us to get there quicker.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Well no, I'm obviously talking in hindsight. But with hindsight, we got one of the toughest draws in the league. Add some key injuries, obvious issues with the playing group early, and it all went to hell.

But that said, against the top 4 teams we played them 7 times for a single win. Making finals this year wouldn't have mattered. The key to us is to get JD and Raz back, and further develop Langford, McKenna, McGrath, Parish etc. We need further improvement before we'll be a top 4 side, but SSS certainly help us to get there quicker.
Agree
Admittedly I'm baffled at hawthorn as a top 4 team and that part of me is disappointed we didnt beat them twice. Make 3 or 4 from 7 against the top 4 and all of a sudden they aren't there anymore and we are
So we helped them be top 4.
And that's disregarding our early poor form. Should have beaten the hawks and pies the second time around.

Ants

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Essendon
Agree
Admittedly I'm baffled at hawthorn as a top 4 team and that part of me is disappointed we didnt beat them twice. Make 3 or 4 from 7 against the top 4 and all of a sudden they aren't there anymore and we are
So we helped them be top 4.
And that's disregarding our early poor form. Should have beaten the hawks and pies the second time around.
Yep, but we didn't. It sucks.

If we can get one of the players being discussed (Shiel, Gaff, Crouch), and get a bit further development out of the youngsters, we may be able to challenge. But as for most sides, lots of "ifs" there. Oh well, we're supporters, we always live on hope.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Yep, but we didn't. It sucks.

If we can get one of the players being discussed (Shiel, Gaff, Crouch), and get a bit further development out of the youngsters, we may be able to challenge. But as for most sides, lots of "ifs" there. Oh well, we're supporters, we always live on hope.
cant say it sucks. we were stupid in too many games. deserved what we got.

Back