Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Impact off the field? That’s just fluff on a cappuccino. Unless your inner sanctum this is just a throw away line.
It's the phrase that people use to defend their player for being s**t on field

It's the phrase that people use to defend their player for being sh*t on field
There are players at almost every club where what they offer off the field is a significant part of why they are well respected or even signed at all.

Matt De Boar and historically Sam Reid for us is a classic example. From the outside looking in, sometimes it is hard to see why they are so revered internally or even how they get a game. But the guys inside love them for how they drive standards and work harder than others etc etc.

Although a bit different, Luke Hodge was signed more to Brisbane for what he could offer off the field rather than on it, (he was still a very good player when he got there mind you)

There are players at almost every club where what they offer off the field is a significant part of why they are well respected or even signed at all.

Matt De Boar and historically Sam Reid for us is a classic example. From the outside looking in, sometimes it is hard to see why they are so revered internally or even how they get a game. But the guys inside love them for how they drive standards and work harder than others etc etc.

Although a bit different, Luke Hodge was signed more to Brisbane for what he could offer off the field rather than on it, (he was still a very good player when he got there mind you)

You are naming 30 year old players - not 21 year olds. List the 21 year olds that driving standards and work harder than others.

Hodge went to Brisbane as a 34 year old.

Yeh/nah - clear double standards being applied here.

On one hand you’re happy to cop Raynor’s lack of tank, but when it’s detrimental to Dow’s game it’s dismissed. It’s actually far worse to have a poor engine when you’re a midfielder and your success directly depends on your ability to get to contests. This has been Dow’s main issue.

The reality is Brisbane could have had an elite mid, and Brayshaw was right on their radar, yet they opted for a small forward.

It’s currently looking like a butchered pick from a Brisbane POV.
I suggest you watch more of Rayner when he gets back this year. Rayner --- daylight ---- Dow

On moto g(30) using BigFooty.com mobile app

I suggest you watch more of Rayner when he gets back this year. Rayner --- daylight ---- Dow

I'm alarmed that there is even a comparison. While consistency has been an issue for Rayner, his talent is so clear to see. Dow looks like he'll be out of the league soon.

In what way do you think Rayner has been an 'incredibly' underwhelming footballer? Big call.

10 touches and less than a goal a game can’t be dressed up in any way when you’re a #1 pick. 63 games is more than enough to have established himself in some way, and he hasn’t.

You might need to go and read back a few posts in this thread to get some context.
That he is unfit, lazy and an average at best footballer?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Unfit yes, other two most definitely not.
I know you don't like to hear it when it is a top pick from your own club but he isn't that good

Fitness isn't the only reason he can't even find the ball 10 times a game in a top side. Football IQ & ability also play a big part in this

I mean FFS your number 1 pick in his third year touched the ball more than 6 times once in his last month of football. He had 11 touches that day

He is going to be a bit like McCartin & Patton that his knee injury is going to stop the media for going after him for not living up to a number 1 picks expected output. Hell he wouldnt be in the top 20-30 from that draft so far

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you don't like to hear it when it is a top pick from your own club but he isn't that good

Fitness isn't the only reason he can't even find the ball 10 times a game in a top side. Football IQ & ability also play a big part in this

I mean FFS your number 1 pick in his third year touched the ball more than 6 times once in his last month of football. He had 11 touches that day

He is going to be a bit like McCartin & Patton that his knee injury is going to stop the media for going after him for not living up to a number 1 picks expected output. Hell he wouldnt be in the top 20-30 from that draft so far
How many times have you watched him play?

How many times have you watched him play?
Anywhere from 8-10 times a season plus finals

You telling me you are happy with his performances over 3-4 years as a number 1 pick?

Hell you wouldn't/couldn't be happy if you used pick 20 on him

I reckon some are being way too harsh on Rayner.
Pick 1 on a HFF player who can't find the ball and doesn't really kick many goals, does nothing in finals and doesn't offer much defensive pressure. He does how every have the occasional highlight moment

Sounds a lot like Rohan at Geelong tbh

Ah, haven't seen much of him I see. Football iq is definitely not something he lacks. When he finds the footy he is composed and skilful beyond his years. Getting from contest to contest is the issue.

You telling me you are happy with his performances over 3-4 years as a number 1 pick?

He was always going to take a couple years longer to hit anything near his prime, that’s how low a fitness base he was coming from when he was drafted. I’m happy with the flashes and signs he’s shown so far.
Pick 1 on a HFF player who can't find the ball and doesn't really kick many goals, does nothing in finals and doesn't offer much defensive pressure. He does how every have the occasional highlight moment

Sounds a lot like Rohan at Geelong tbh
He’s been one of our better finals performers over the last few years and he put in the work last pre-season to impact more consistently throughout games before his injury. Time will tell where he ends up but I’m confident he still becomes a very good, impactful player.

We all knew Rayner was going to be a slow burn, but his actual rate of improvement has been pretty negligible. To standardise things a bit (to factor in shortened quarters in 2020) he's grabbing a possession every 6.2 minutes - in 2018, his debut season, he's getting it every 5.7 minutes.

Everyone expects him to be the next Dustin Martin or Christian Petracca, but these guys were copping double the number of touches at the same point in their careers and also kicking a goal a goal despite spending more time in the midfield than Rayner is. He's tracking closer to someone like Cam Zuhaar, who was a rookie pick.

I suspect if the Lions hadn't drafted two future All-Australians in Bailey and Starcevich in the same draft they'd be getting more heat for taking Rayner at Pick 1.

Ah, haven't seen much of him I see. Football iq is definitely not something he lacks. When he finds the footy he is composed and skilful beyond his years. Getting from contest to contest is the issue.
If he had better football iq he would get in better positions to get more of the ball to cover over his lack of fitness

There are plenty of talented players that lack fitness and can find the ball more than 9 times a match

He was always going to take a couple years longer to hit anything near his prime, that’s how low a fitness base he was coming from when he was drafted. I’m happy with the flashes and signs he’s shown so far.
He’s been one of our better finals performers over the last few years and he put in the work last pre-season to impact more consistently throughout games before his injury. Time will tell where he ends up but I’m confident he still becomes a very good, impactful player.
6 disposals, 2 tackles & 2 goals
5 disposals, 2 tackles & 1 goal
8 disposals, 2 marks & 1 goal
15 disposals, 5 marks & 1 goal

I know stats don't tell a full story but * me if he was one of your best either (a) your performances were more s**t than I realized or (b) he must be the most impactful player of all time

So you are saying you have only watched half of his games and feel that you are in a position to rate his overall performance? Please. And to say that we wouldn't be happy drafting him at 20 is laughable.

10 touches and less than a goal a game can’t be dressed up in any way when you’re a #1 pick. 63 games is more than enough to have established himself in some way, and he hasn’t.
What do you mean by established himself? As in established himself in our best 22 or established himself as a star of the comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back