Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

My view Fritsch is very good at what he does and is an excellent player that every club would take.
However, he is very reliant on the players around him, put him in an average side, he'd be a very different player.
I think the comparison to Stevie J and alike are very premature.

My view Fritsch is very good at what he does and is an excellent player that every club would take.
However, he is very reliant on the players around him, put him in an average side, he'd be a very different player.
I think the comparison to Stevie J and alike are very premature.
His ability to hit the scoreboard as that hybrid type player was compared, not their playing style.

He'll never reach Johnson's level. He's a very different type of player.

Fritsch is very crafty and makes the most of limited opportunities.

I can't really think of another player like him.

His ability to hit the scoreboard as that hybrid type player was compared, not their playing style.

What’s your theory on him missing the top 10 in the b&f after such a good year?

What’s your theory on him missing the top 10 in the b&f after such a good year?
There were plenty of games where he was quiet. There were 8 games where he kicked one goal or less. That's a third of his year. All our forwards had quiet games. I think it's the reality of modern footy.

He doesn't get a lot of opportunities and averages only 10 disposals. It's not easy being a third tall in today's footy. Plus Pickett kicked 40.

That said, he finished 11th, so he wasn't far off the mark.

I reckon you can be really valuable to a side and its structure, but not be consistently getting high votes per game in a B&F. Especially, when there was no shortage of your teammates having career best seasons.

There were plenty of games where he was quiet. There were 8 games where he kicked one goal or less. That's a third of his year. All our forwards had quiet games. I think it's the reality of modern footy.

He doesn't get a lot of opportunities and averages only 10 disposals. It's not easy being a third tall in today's footy. Plus Pickett kicked 40.

That said, he finished 11th, so he wasn't far off the mark.

I reckon you can be really valuable to a side and its structure, but not be consistently getting high votes per game in a B&F. Especially, when there was no shortage of your teammates having career best seasons.
I just found it interesting. He is very good - tore us to shreds. His big games were massive.

So now there is a Carlton supporter down playing Fritsch?

The guy who would have won the Norm Smith had Petracca not had an absolute statistical monster of a game. He just kicked 6 in a GF, which is the most since 1997

That's more than Stevie J, Buddy, Roughed, M Lloyd, Betts, Hawkins, Reiwoldt x2, J Brown, Carey ext could kick in a GF

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

So now there is a Carlton supporter down playing Fritsch?

The guy who would have won the Norm Smith had Petracca not had an absolute statistical monster of a game. He just kicked 6 in a GF, which is the most since 1997

That's more than Stevie J, Buddy, Roughed, M Lloyd, Betts, Hawkins, Reiwoldt x2, J Brown, Carey ext could kick in a GF

Yes had a brilliant grand final in the same way Johannisen, Short, Houli times 2, and Sheed did and were all unlucky not to or did win the Norm Smith the 5 years prior. No one is saying he isn’t a good player just that he is a level below the stars.
Everyone knows he can kick goals hence the Jenkins comparison.

Yes had a brilliant grand final in the same way Johannisen, Short, Houli times 2, and Sheed did and were all unlucky not to or did win the Norm Smith the 5 years prior. No one is saying he isn’t a good player just that he is a level below the stars.
Everyone knows he can kick goals hence the Jenkins comparison.
So a Harry McKay type?

So a Harry McKay type?

In a way yes. Harry certainly has to offer more defensively but he does provide a target for get out kicks and obviously draws all the defenders attention while still averaging the most contested marks in the league, things Fritch obviously doesn’t. Harry also has a fair few nothing games where he still kicks 2-4 goals

Why is comparing Fritsch to Jenkins talking him down? Jerka averaged over 2 goals for 5 years straight which is a fair effort.

I expect Fritsch to continue to improve but it is fair criticism of his game atm that outside kicking goals he doesn’t do much luckily kicking goals is the most important skill in the game.

Why is comparing Fritsch to Jenkins talking him down? Jerka averaged over 2 goals for 5 years straight which is a fair effort.

I expect Fritsch to continue to improve but it is fair criticism of his game atm that outside kicking goals he doesn’t do much luckily kicking goals is the most important skill in the game.
Yep Jenkins kicked almost 240 goals over a 5 year period while offering ruck support. It’s an incredible effort.

Recent history has shown us that when a team win a premiership their supporters add a 25% loading onto how good a player is. That is on top of the 25% most bias supporters put on their players. That’s why we get Fritch being discussed along side Stevie J.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wild Bill

''That’s why we get Fritch being discussed along side Stevie J.''

I expect Fritsch to continue to improve but it is fair criticism of his game atm that outside kicking goals he doesn’t do much...
I'm not sure how any criticism of Fritsch is valid in a year where he kicked 59 goals, kicked 6 in a grand final, made AA40, and plays the third tall, where obviously opportunities are limited.

No disrespect, but anyone criticising Fritsch for his year in 2021 needs to take up a new sport.

I'm not sure how any criticism of Fritsch is valid in a year where he kicked 59 goals, kicked 6 in a grand final, made AA40, and plays the third tall, where obviously opportunities are limited.

No disrespect, but anyone criticising Fritsch for his year in 2021 needs to take up a new sport.
Context is key and in a conversation about how highly someone should be rated then yes even after a fantastic season some criticism will come. It’s also not so much criticism rather pointing out things his game lacks. Much like we do with some really top midfielders inability to hit targets or the scoreboard.
As mentioned earlier McKay was AA and he should be criticised heavily on some of his weaknesses this season.

Context is key and in a conversation about how highly someone should be rated then yes even after a fantastic season some criticism will come. It’s also not so much criticism rather pointing out things his game lacks. Much like we do with some really top midfielders inability to hit targets or the scoreboard.
As mentioned earlier McKay was AA and he should be criticised heavily on some of his weaknesses this season.
His game lacks nothing for the role he plays. Literally nothing.

By nature a third tall will have limited opportunities. Why ?

Most of the season Melbourne played two key talls (McDonald/Brown/Weideman). Naturally, they're the main targets.

We also rest a ruck forward. Either Gawn or Jackson. They are also significant targets.

We also have two pressure small forwards buzzing around the F50 ground balls, i.e. Spargo and Neale-Bullen.

There's also Pickett, who kicked 40 goals.

Then there's Fritsch trying to provide an option. His opportunities are limited. To kick 59 goals IS making the most of limited opportunities.

You really need to scrape beneath the surface and actually try and analyse the game.

Last edited:

Most of the season Melbourne played two key talls (McDonald/Browb/Weideman). Naturally, they're the main targets.

We also rest a ruck forward. Either Gawn or Jackson. They are also significant targets.

We also have two pressure small forwards buzzing around the F50 ground balls, i.e. Spargo and Neale-Bullen.

Then there's Fritsch trying to provide an option. His opportunities are limited. To kick 59 goals IS making the most of limited opportunities.

You really need to scrape beneath the surface and actually try and analyse the game.
I don't think anyone is saying he is a bad player, his role and position isn't as desirable as many others. Personally I think this is his ceiling as I don't see much scope for him up the ground and in a good team like Melbourne that's great. However similar to Tom Lynch from Adelaide if Fritsch is still at Melbourne when they start to decline I think he'll find it a lot tougher to impact games compared to say a McKay from Carlton.

I don't think anyone is saying he is a bad player, his role and position isn't as desirable as many others. Personally I think this is his ceiling as I don't see much scope for him up the ground and in a good team like Melbourne that's great. However similar to Tom Lynch from Adelaide if Fritsch is still at Melbourne when they start to decline I think he'll find it a lot tougher to impact games compared to say a McKay from Carlton.
LOL

And to think he's not a 200cm plus key forward who won the Coleman.

Thanks for the intel, Matt.

Fritsch is more similar to Brad than Steve Johnson.

Especially when Brad went full time forward.

Very good comparison, obviously Fritsch isn't at Brads level though

So his ceiling is AA level and almost Norm Smith worthy, that puts him above 95% of the comp already

Most of the season Melbourne played two key talls (McDonald/Browb/Weideman). Naturally, they're the main targets.

“The role he plays”.
This is the whole point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back