Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie Ballard and Wil Powell seriously underrated
I'd have Powell comfortably top 10. For a guy I thought an odd choice and a thrown away pick, he made me look stupid.

Liam Baker criminally underrated of late too
1 - Brayshaw
2 - Naughton
3 - Baker
4 - Kelly
5 - Powell
6 - Jiath
7 - Cerra
8 - Bailey
9 - Fritsch
10 - Taylor

Yes their mids a s**t so is their Key Forward stocks and Thorpedo isn't setting the world on fire either

He has more coaches votes then Max King again is he not generational?

Yes he came 8th in a team that made a Grand Final hardly a bad effort

Did Buddy play at CHB his 1st season?

Brayshaw is a Macrae type very good consistent player will get multiple AA blazers but they're not getting picked over top Key Forwards
Nick larkey kicked more goals last year playing in the worst team then Astro playing for the attacking grand finalist and he was pick 73 in the 2016 draft .
Generational
Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn I suppose.

If I’m picking a side. I’m picking Naughton before Brayshaw. Big blokes that clunk marks like that don’t come around as often as a Brayshaw type.
That's a fair call, I think it's pretty line-ball between the two as it stands. Feel like it will be very hard for anyone to catch them as 1 and 2

That's a fair call, I think it's pretty line-ball between the two as it stands. Feel like it will be very hard for anyone to catch them as 1 and 2
Its probably a needs call between them at the moment. If you have talls or not would change things. But at the same time either could go ahead. If Naughton fixed his goal kicking he could jump ahead

Its probably a needs call between them at the moment. If you have talls or not would change things. But at the same time either could go ahead. If Naughton fixed his goal kicking he could jump ahead
Yeah, probably boils down to how we actually do these things, is it, re-do the draft now, is it, if you had a team from scratch or is it just who you think is the best player. All slightly different approaches that probably slightly changes who you take.

One is top of some brownlow predictors, one is a KPF you can build your forwardline around, completely valid arguments for both being the guy you'd take first.

We were covered for KPDs at the time (and still are) so I stand by us going for Cerra (who I still rate highly) but you cant help but wonder if we had have shown a bit of creativity and taken Naughton with the idea of playing him forward. Do we even go for Hogan the next year if we do that? Such a sliding doors moment for us. Still, can hardly be unhappy with our drafting the last 6 years, no one bats 100

Not sure if this will work or if it needs its own thread but as a bit of fun lets do a draft and anyone can jump in for their own club. Try to cast your mind back to the clubs needs at the time as well as factoring in how these guys careers have progressed.

Order from Wikipedia:

1. Brisbane - Naughton
2. Freo - Brayshaw
3. Carlton
4. North
5. Freo
6. Collingwood
7. St Kilda
8. St Kilda
9. Dogs
10. Carlton
11. GWS
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Sydney
15. Brisbane
16. Dogs
17. Richmond
18. Brisbane
19. Goldy

20. Richmond
21. West Coast
22. Geelong
23. North
24. Geelong
25. Richmond
26. West Coast
27. GWS
28. GWS
29. Melbourne
30. Carlton
31. Melbourne
32. West Coast
33. Sydney
34. Richmond
35. St Kilda
36. Geelong
37. Melbourne

I'm happy to kick it off for Brisbane.

Pick 1 - Aaron Naughton.

Tempted to go Brayshaw on current needs, but at the time we had a fairly experienced midfield with a fairly promising batch of young mids from previous drafts. Adding another key forward who has turned out to be better than those we developed ourselves (sorry McStay and Hippy) is the best choice I think. We ended up having to target Daniher as we didn't feel we could win a premiership without a #1 target.

Not sure if this will work or if it needs its own thread but as a bit of fun lets do a draft and anyone can jump in for their own club. Try to cast your mind back to the clubs needs at the time as well as factoring in how these guys careers have progressed.

Order from Wikipedia:

1. Brisbane
2. Freo
3. Carlton
4. North
5. Freo
6. Collingwood
7. St Kilda
8. St Kilda
9. Dogs
10. Carlton
11. GWS
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Sydney
15. Brisbane
16. Dogs
17. Richmond
18. Brisbane
19. Goldy

20. Richmond
21. West Coast
22. Geelong
23. North
24. Geelong
25. Richmond
26. West Coast
27. GWS
28. GWS
29. Melbourne
30. Carlton
31. Melbourne
32. West Coast
33. Sydney
34. Richmond
35. St Kilda
36. Geelong
37. Melbourne

Pick 1 - Aaron Naughton.

Tempted to go Brayshaw on current needs, but at the time we had a fairly experienced midfield with a fairly promising batch of young mids from previous drafts. Adding another key forward who has turned out to be better than those we developed ourselves (sorry McStay and Hippy) is the best choice I think. We ended up having to target Daniher as we didn't feel we could win a premiership without a #1 target.
In a shock to everyone, Freo select…

Andy Brayshaw

I like your idea Scoman though I'm not sure how long it will go with the views we get in here but, to help gain some traction, I'll ping Elmer_Judd who I know would love the idea of these type of things =)

Last edited:
Still fairly confident Clark will be close to the top once he gets his body right. Not one mid in the draft can do what he does although Cerra is close. Not saying he is there yet. I just think back to the 2020 final against the dgs when he was pulling off some rediculous stuff when the game was on.

Order from Wikipedia:

1. Brisbane - Naughton
2. Freo - Brayshaw
3. Carlton
4. North
5. Freo
6. Collingwood
7. St Kilda
8. St Kilda
9. Dogs
10. Carlton
11. GWS
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Sydney
15. Brisbane
16. Dogs
17. Richmond
18. Brisbane
19. Goldy

20. Richmond
21. West Coast
22. Geelong
23. North
24. Geelong
25. Richmond
26. West Coast
27. GWS
28. GWS
29. Melbourne
30. Carlton
31. Melbourne
32. West Coast
33. Sydney
34. Richmond
35. St Kilda
36. Geelong
37. Melbourne

Pick 1 - Aaron Naughton.

Essendon fans waiting to pick between Jack Petrucelle and Andrew Macpherson at pick 49...

If I’m picking a side. I’m picking Naughton before Brayshaw. Big blokes that clunk marks like that don’t come around as often as a Brayshaw type.

Nope, taking the likely brownlow winner Brayshaw ahead of Naughton or anyone else in draft.

Said my comments/criticisms of Naughton elsewhere, but if he keeps producing the goods on à more frequent basis like he this last round, I would change my mind.

Still very young for a young power forward though.

Brayshaw is an amazing and sublime player, definitely Freo's next and possible first premiership captain (think Fyfe stands down at the end of the season)

Nope, taking the likely brownlow winner Brayshaw ahead of Naughton or anyone else in draft.

Said my comments/criticisms of Naughton elsewhere, but if he keeps producing the goods on à more frequent basis like he this last round, I would change my mind.

Still very young for a young power forward though.

Brayshaw is an amazing and sublime player, definitely Freo's next and possible first premiership captain (think Fyfe stands down at the end of the season)
While you are here, make a call. Carlton are up.... See above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Order from Wikipedia:

1. Brisbane - Naughton
2. Freo - Brayshaw
3. Carlton
4. North
5. Freo
6. Collingwood
7. St Kilda
8. St Kilda
9. Dogs
10. Carlton
11. GWS
12. Adelaide
13. West Coast
14. Sydney
15. Brisbane
16. Dogs
17. Richmond
18. Brisbane
19. Goldy

20. Richmond
21. West Coast
22. Geelong
23. North
24. Geelong
25. Richmond
26. West Coast
27. GWS
28. GWS
29. Melbourne
30. Carlton
31. Melbourne
32. West Coast
33. Sydney
34. Richmond
35. St Kilda
36. Geelong
37. Melbourne

Pick 1 - Aaron Naughton.

Also, yoinking this idea for the 2016 thread.

Yeah, probably boils down to how we actually do these things, is it, re-do the draft now, is it, if you had a team from scratch or is it just who you think is the best player. All slightly different approaches that probably slightly changes who you take.

One is top of some brownlow predictors, one is a KPF you can build your forwardline around, completely valid arguments for both being the guy you'd take first.

We were covered for KPDs at the time (and still are) so I stand by us going for Cerra (who I still rate highly) but you cant help but wonder if we had have shown a bit of creativity and taken Naughton with the idea of playing him forward. Do we even go for Hogan the next year if we do that? Such a sliding doors moment for us. Still, can hardly be unhappy with our drafting the last 6 years, no one bats 100
You guys have nailed every draft, I wouldn't be worried about any of your selections!

Not much love for LDU in here.

Yep it’s taken a little while, with his previous injuries and loss of his father , but in an otherwise lamentable year for the club, Luke has finally shown what he’s capable of and will win our best and fairest in a canter ( not much comp for that award this year, sadly)

He’s made tremendous strides forward, and he finally has the belief that he is The Man, of our midfield.
He also has scope for further improvement like adding a goal or two per game to his repertoire, his potential and upside excites all North fans.
Add Cunnington and Phillips to the midfield mix, and I think we’re on the verge of seeing something special.
Very happy to have taken him at pick 4 .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Not much love for LDU in here.

Yep it’s taken a little while, with his previous injuries and loss of his father , but in an otherwise lamentable year for the club, Luke has finally shown what he’s capable of and will win our best and fairest in a canter ( not much comp for that award this year, sadly)

He’s made tremendous strides forward, and he finally has the belief that he is The Man, of our midfield.
He also has scope for further improvement like adding a goal or two per game to his repertoire, his potential and upside excites all North fans.
Add Cunnington and Phillips to the midfield mix, and I think we’re on the verge of seeing something special.
Very happy to have taken him at pick 4 .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
His 2nd half of the year has been outstanding. Turning into the player we had hoped at 4.

LDU is going great. Good to see him come good.
player now that many thought he'd be when he was considered the pick of that draft. great to watch. strong, hard running and doesn't stop.
in this form, only Brayshaw is ahead of him from this draft.

Darcy Fogarty now making his move up the order...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back