Draft Review 2017 - Revisit the 2017 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't see much in Dow. Seems to panic a fair bit and lacks footy smarts. Biggest bust of this draft.

Cerra has regressed a bit but I think he will bounce back. Sublime ball users like him don't grow on trees.

IMO Dow was heavily reliant on his burst and speed as a junior and it has really caught up to him at AFL level. Was likened to Dangerfield by some as an u18, but probably doesn’t have the same ability up forward. Certainly has the explosiveness.

Needs a few massive preseasons to get that edge back. Once he catches up with the speed of the game he will have that extra second to pick the right option and use the ball better. He’s a good size for a modern day mid.

An obvious case of the second year blues does not help either. Not a bust just yet.

IMO Dow was heavily reliant on his burst and speed as a junior and it has really caught up to him at AFL level. Was likened to Dangerfield by some as an u18, but probably doesn’t have the same ability up forward. Certainly has the explosiveness.

Needs a few massive preseasons to get that edge back. Once he catches up with the speed of the game he will have that extra second to pick the right option and use the ball better. He’s a good size for a modern day mid.

An obvious case of the second year blues does not help either. Not a bust just yet.

Not a bust, but he certainly doesnt strike me as an explosive player.

He seems not quite strong enough, and not quite quick enough off the mark to be that kind of player.

I guess the question is can he adapt and find a niche.

Not a bust, but he certainly doesnt strike me as an explosive player.

He seems not quite strong enough, and not quite quick enough off the mark to be that kind of player.

I guess the question is can he adapt and find a niche.

Think I have to disagree. Dow is very explosive. Every game he has 1 or 2 moments where he explodes from a pack breaking multiple tackles and he really is unstoppable. Then unfortunately he can butcher the kick or choose the wrong option, perhaps due to fitness.

Not strong enough yet to do it consistently and can’t ride the bumps and keep going like seasoned mids.

Plenty of work left for him to get to pick 3 level.

Think I have to disagree. Dow is very explosive. Every game he has 1 or 2 moments where he explodes from a pack breaking multiple tackles and he really is unstoppable. Then unfortunately he can butcher the kick or choose the wrong option, perhaps due to fitness.

Not strong enough yet to do it consistently and can’t ride the bumps and keep going like seasoned mids.

Plenty of work left for him to get to pick 3 level.

Its a different kind though to Dangerfield.
He's more of a buster than a burster if that makes sense.

Trying to think of a comparison that better fits but I cant off the top of my head without really insulting the kid.

1. Kelly
2. Stevenson
3. Worpel
4. Naughton
5. Rayner
6. Ryan
7. Brayshaw
8. Taylor
9. Myers
10. Daniels

The entire top 10 have dropped off a bit, other than Stephenson and Naughton.

Its a different kind though to Dangerfield.
He's more of a buster than a burster if that makes sense.

Trying to think of a comparison that better fits but I cant off the top of my head without really insulting the kid.
Leaving quality/quantity aside and speaking purely on style, his U18 contested work reminded me of Ben Cousins, really flinging himself into the contest and shrugging/riding contact.

1. Kelly
2. Stevenson
3. Worpel
4. Naughton
5. Rayner
6. Ryan
7. Brayshaw
8. Taylor
9. Myers
10. Daniels

Hunter Clark an exception to the players taken in the top 10 who have dropped off. His stats in the last 6 weeks and his impact has shot through the roof.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my eye looking at glimpses of potential with a view to the long term I'd have a top 3 in no particular order of-

Jaidyn Stephenson, Cameron Rayner and Aaron Naughton.

1. Kelly
2. Stevenson
3. Worpel
4. Naughton
5. Rayner
6. Ryan
7. Brayshaw
8. Taylor
9. Myers
10. Daniels

Stephenson looks to be a great player and definitely top 5 at the moment imo but I think his suspension will let others overtake him, I think Naughton is #2 behind Kelly and for a 2nd year player very impressive and 2 goals and 2 assists on the weekend
I like that you have the 2 Giants in the top 10 but I think they are just outside but if they have injury free years they will enter in the conversation to push up the ladder. taylor missing for 4 weeks with a calf atm and back for finals

Not sure how anyone can not have Naughton minimum #2 from this draft. I have him #1, obviously Kelly the better player right now but Naughton is doing things I haven’t seen a 19 yr old Key Forward do before. Dogs got a steal

Not sure how anyone can not have Naughton minimum #2 from this draft. I have him #1, obviously Kelly the better player right now but Naughton is doing things I haven’t seen a 19 yr old Key Forward do before. Dogs got a steal

On potential and exposed form he is 1st pick for me as well.

I think i had him 3rd on my list but i wasn't trying to consider potential at all.

Although it just doesn't fell right having anyone over kelly.

From my eye looking at glimpses of potential with a view to the long term I'd have a top 3 in no particular order of-

Jaidyn Stephenson, Cameron Rayner and Aaron Naughton.
What have you seen from Raynor to put him along side the other 2? He needs to find it a lot more than 9 times a game.

I think right now there are 4 names you would consider taking at number 1.

The ready made mid - Tim Kelly
The star KPP - Aaron Naughton
The long term mid - James Worpel
X Factor forward - Jaiden Stephenson

It would vary on your needs I suppose. Starved of any good key forward for the last 15 years we would obviously take Naughton. The gold coast suns would probably take one of the mids and whilst Jaiden Stephenson as a medium forward doesnt hold the structural importance of a inside mid/kpp hes probably the one who has the most runs on the board (behind kelly), but the added years you would get from his career in comparison to kelly.

All arguments would have a reasonable basis.

What have you seen from Raynor to put him along side the other 2? He needs to find it a lot more than 9 times a game.
Cam will probably never be a 30+ possession permanent mid, he will be 20-25 possession player with a high impact per possession game style.

I've seen every minute of every game he has played in his career, half of them live. Cam will be a slow burn, he has shown some fantastic glimpses and he has worked seriously hard on his major deficiency ie. endurance, he has a desire for the contest(his pressure acts of late have been elite) that can not be coached. He has serious game changing midfield/resting forward/x factor beast written all over him in the style of De Goey.

I concede Stephenson, Naughton and others are ahead of him right now, however I'll stick my neck out and say Rayner is going to be a beauty, it could be 2-3 years away though, bookmark it.

For the eagles allen,ryan and petrucelle are all playing plenty of senior footy already .
Whilst we shouldve taken kelly with one of our first 2 picks brander is tracking nicely at wafl level.
Ainsworth hasnt improved this year which is a worry and brayshaw looks good in the wafl but could be too slow at afl level
If brander hangs around he'll get his chance and the draft will have been a very good one for the eagles

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back