11. Fritsch
12. Starcevich
13. Clark
14. Rayner
15. McCartin
16. Worpel
17. Stephenson
18. Higgins
Fritsch kicking 59 goals (second most for the year) and 6 in grand final (most in a GF in 20+ years) and still can't break into the top 10?

Last edited:
Fritsch kicking 59 goals (second most for the year) and 6 in grand final (most in a GF in 20+ years) and still can't break into the top 10?

Little bit on demonstrated ability up to now, little bit on potential. He's a gun but I just wouldn't pick him in front of any of those in the top 10.

I wonder if five premiership players within four years is a record? Only a brain bleed stopping Higgins too.

EDIT: nope, 2006 goes way past it. Truly a super draft that one

was that including rookies?

by my count the 2014 draft crop had five premiership players in their first four seasons, plus three more from that year’s rookie draft.

decent conversion rate. Eleven players from that draft year now have at least one flag

One last note: Dylan Moore > Worpel.

On 2021 form yes.

Worpel probably still has to be ahead due to that best and fairest in his second season.

I will say, I think Moore has a better chance if being an All Australian in the future. He went from a delisted re-rookie to ranking elite for his position in the space of 20 games.

1. Brayshaw
2. Naughton
3. Allen
4. Bailey
5. Taylor
6. Kelly
7. Ryan
8. Balta
9. LDU
10. Cerra
11. Fritsch
12. Starcevich
13. Clark
14. Rayner
15. McCartin
16. Worpel
17. Stephenson
18. Higgins

Not trying to be biased but surely Stevo’s at least 12th on this list, he’s had a rising star year (35 goals too), two average years in between but a solid year this year while missing a month in the middle and shown more then most on this list

Controversial probably but I'd have Starc ahead of Bailey from the Lions
Fair call, Starcevich is a brilliant prospect in his own right. I think in the near future he will spend time in the midfield where he will really explode as a player and people will take notice. I think he is in the Elliot Yeo mould, and I am confident he will get to that level. Super stoked to get he and Bailey in the same draft, two absolute excitement machines heading into the future. Both are on a sharp upwards trajectory and could be anything.

Dow showed a bit in the 2nd half of the year but O'brien lucky to get on the rookie list.
I feel like Dow has been gifted a lot of games even when his form didn't permit selection. They invested heavily in him and have got very little back so far. If Dow and Obrien were late draft picks I think it's fair to say neither of them would be on the list today.

Cerra is well on his way to being an A grader, if only Carlton took him instead of Dow they wouldn't have needed to cough up those extra picks. Hindsight is a wonderful thing though

Absolutely, some shocking errors in judgement by a few clubs at the top end of that draft.

Imagine taking Cam Raynor over an entire draft pool too! Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dow showed a bit in the 2nd half of the year but O'brien lucky to get on the rookie list.

O'Brien played pretty well all year in the reserves and should have been called up, then played well in his 4 games when Teague finally conceded on playing him.

May or may not have deserved to be demoted to the rookie list, but he's hardly 'lucky' to be rookied. That's far more a product of list reductions, and having to make way for imports.

Absolutely, some shocking errors in judgement by a few clubs at the top end of that draft.

Imagine taking Cam Raynor over an entire draft pool too! Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Not sure what you're getting at.
Rayner was the standout talent of the draft year, we'd be silly to have not taken him. He has had a bad run with injury and has been played out of position for most of his career so far, but in saying that he has also had quite a few standout performances including a few BOGs. When he was drafted he had fitness issues and we knew that he would be a slow burn until he develops a tank to play in the guts. Not disappointed with the selection at all, when he gets a good run at it and builds his tank he will blossom. 2021 preseason he slimmed down a ton and he was primed to play full time mid before doing his acl. 2022 might be the year.

With Cam it's not at all about talent or application, because he oozes those two things, it's purely about fitness and continuity in his body.

Last edited:
Raynor has never received a single Brownlow vote. These ‘standout performances’ don’t actually exist.

Glimpses of talent, sure.

With Pick 1 you’re hoping for a future star, eg Walsh, not a small forward with no tank.

Hopefully he gets a good run at it in 2022 because he’s been disappointing to date.
What are you talking about? He has received votes, notably the game where he tore the Hawks apart and got 3. Just to mention a specific one off the top of my head. Get your facts straight before posting nonsense.

Not sure what you're getting at.
Rayner was the standout talent of the draft year, we'd be silly to have not taken him. He has had a bad run with injury and has been played out of position for most of his career so far, but in saying that he has also had quite a few standout performances including a few BOGs. When he was drafted he had fitness issues and we knew that he would be a slow burn until he develops a tank to play in the guts. Not disappointed with the selection at all, when he gets a good run at it and builds his tank he will blossom. 2021 preseason he slimmed down a ton and he was primed to play full time mid before doing his acl. 2022 might be the year.

With Cam it's not at all about talent or application, because he oozes those two things, it's purely about fitness and continuity in his body.

Interesting.

So Raynor is a ‘slow burn’ doesn’t have much of a tank but has had a few standout performances so he’s OK, but that is also pretty much where Dow is at at this stage yet that is not good.

Had a decent second half of the year, just needs to build up some size and improve his endurance. His game against Freo, which he copped Brownlow votes for, showed his capability as a player.

What are you talking about? He has received votes, notably the game where he tore the Hawks apart and got 3. Just to mention a specific one off the top of my head. Get your facts straight before posting nonsense.

Post was deleted.

Interesting.

So Raynor is a ‘slow burn’ doesn’t have much of a tank but has had a few standout performances so he’s OK, but that is also pretty much where Dow is at at this stage yet that is not good.

Had a decent second half of the year, just needs to build up some size and improve his endurance. His game against Freo, which he copped Brownlow votes for, showed his capability as a player.

Post was deleted.
Haha, very quick to delete when called out for posting bs.😂

And if you think the Dow and Rayner situations are similar you are way off. Completely different situations, Dow has looked lost ar AFL level with serious questions on his ability to play at a high level.

Rayner on the other hand, there has never been any doubts on his talent and ability to impact games. He has shown he can be a huge impact. As I said before, it's purely about his body, which he is working on.

Very different situations.

Haha, very quick to delete when called out for posting bs.😂

And if you think the Dow and Rayner situations are similar you are way off. Completely different situations, Dow has looked lost ar AFL level with serious questions on his ability to play at a high level.

Rayner on the other hand, there has never been any doubts on his talent and ability to impact games. He has shown he can be a huge impact. As I said before, it's purely about his body, which he is working on.

Very different situations.

Yeh/nah - clear double standards being applied here.

On one hand you’re happy to cop Raynor’s lack of tank, but when it’s detrimental to Dow’s game it’s dismissed. It’s actually far worse to have a poor engine when you’re a midfielder and your success directly depends on your ability to get to contests. This has been Dow’s main issue.

The reality is Brisbane could have had an elite mid, and Brayshaw was right on their radar, yet they opted for a small forward.

It’s currently looking like a butchered pick from a Brisbane POV.

Yeh/nah - clear double standards being applied here.

On one hand you’re happy to cop Raynor’s lack of tank, but when it’s detrimental to Dow’s game it’s dismissed. It’s actually far worse to have a poor engine when you’re a midfielder and your success directly depends on your ability to get to contests. This has been Dow’s main issue.

The reality is Brisbane could have had an elite mid, and Brayshaw was right on their radar, yet they opted for a small forward.

It’s currently looking like a butchered pick from a Brisbane POV.
I'm not dismissing that at all. I'm saying Dow's main issue is his footballing ability, which is a concern. Fitness aside, when he gets the football he looks lost and rushed and skills are average at best.
The same cannot be said for Rayner.

And if you think we drafted Rayner as a small forward, it shows how little you actually know about him. We drafted him as a high impact mid who can go forward and hurt. He is a dual All Australian U18 midfielder.
There was a lot of talk about his fitness in his draft year and how he would need to build a tank to play his preferred position in the AFL, and we drafted him knowing this. Earlier this year he finally got to the point where the coaches wanted him in the midelfield, but unfortunately did his acl.

If only they could have had Carlton successful drafting over the same period.

If that was the case they may have played finals........three consecutive years....oh wait

Still, they are probably jealous they didn't give up a top pick for a bloke who could only finish 5th in Freos b&f despite their star player being out all year

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

If only they could have had Carlton successful drafting over the same period.

If that was the case they may have played finals........three consecutive years....oh wait

Still, they are probably jealous they didn't give up a top pick for a bloke who could only finish 5th in Freos b&f despite their star player being out all year

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Compare how our Pick 1 was tracking in his third year - 30 Brownlow votes and an AA nod.

Very keen to see how Cerra goes in a team he’s invested in. Should form a nice combo with Walsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back