Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Burton's disposal efficiency looks great because so many kicks are sideways in the D50 to a loose man!
McGrath actually ran up the ground and actually gained metres
. Intercept marked too.

Burton averages 353 metres gained
McGrath averages 238 metres gained
Marchbank averaged 265 metres gained

Epic Smack-down......Ouch.

View attachment 376003
But Andrew McGrath had 7 contested possessions!!!

2nd time he's been named in the AFL team of the week. Wouldn't be surprised if AA selectors had a little discussion about his form (not that he'll get named in the squad of 40 even if he holds this form for the entire season).

It is funny Burton gets in the team of the week with his least impressive performance of the year. Must have been a really bad week for Key Defenders. More likely the snoozers at AFL.com have no idea about footy.

Media is getting behind him. Next some idiot like Darcy will use this (being the in the team of the week x number of times) as a reason to vote for him as the RS.

What is the record for club nominations in a season?

Blues have already had SPS and Marchbank, with Williamson, Curnow, Silvagni and Fisher all looking extremely likely to get one as well. Even Cuningham or Macreadie could nab one as the competition thins out in the later rounds.

It is nice to finally have some talent to look forward too even if it isn't translating to wins just yet.

As for the winner, it's gotta be McGrath. Feel Burton will drop off as the season progresses, which is no shame for a young KPP.

Have been saying it since last year Burton is as cool as a cucumber with the ball he is all class. Look out when he spends more time in the midfield with a bigger tank!

Burton selected in the mock up State of Origin for SA.

A lot of people in the media are jumping on the bandwagon some saying as much as its a two horse race. Burton, McGrath.

Im not to sure about that SPS pulls a couple more BOG's Marchbank/SPP keeps churning out good games all definitely in with a chance. Although I do think its going to be hard for anyone else simply because of these guys body of work by years end.

Parfitt would've been up there if he didn't do the hamstring. Not saying he would've been ahead of McGrath or Burton or probably some others, but he showed very good signs and I can't wait to have him back.

Burton's disposal efficiency looks great because so many kicks are sideways in the D50 to a loose man!

McGrath actually ran up the ground and actually gained metres. Intercept marked too.
Burton averages 353 metres gained
McGrath averages 238 metres gained
Marchbank averaged 265 metres gained
That is a knockout of a smackdown.

Send in the paramedics.

Burton selected in the mock up State of Origin for SA.

A lot of people in the media are jumping on the bandwagon some saying as much as its a two horse race. Burton, McGrath.

Im not to sure about that SPS pulls a couple more BOG's Marchbank/SPP keeps churning out good games all definitely in with a chance. Although I do think its going to be hard for anyone else simply because of these guys body of work by years end.
Probably more a reflection of the state of SA footy tbh

Are you guys okay? How is a player that has played a defensive game on small forwards supposed to average more metres gained?

Why are people comparing stats that are irrelevant to each player when they play different roles? Both are going great and will get better.

If McGrath plays the Jason Johanissen role of run and carry from half back, then he'd average more uncontested possessions and metres gained.

Burton is supposed to have a higher disposal efficiency than McGrath considering the role that each play. For McGrath to have over 80% is a testament to his skills.

I think McGrath will take out the rising star once he is put into the midfield and on the wing. Those quick hands and leg speed will come very handy. He also lifts when the game is there to be won, which I'm hoping to see more of in the midfield. Just do it Woosha!

I really wanted Burton to slip to our 2nd round pick, but Hawthorn picked him up. Great pick up by Hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 376003
But Andrew McGrath had 7 contested possessions!!!

2nd time he's been named in the AFL team of the week. Wouldn't be surprised if AA selectors had a little discussion about his form (not that he'll get named in the squad of 40 even if he holds this form for the entire season).
the fact you have to tie that to McGrath is pretty sad dude.

They don't even play in the same position - there's a lot more flankers than there are CHB's to compete with

the fact you have to tie that to McGrath is pretty sad dude.

They don't even play in the same position - there's a lot more flankers than there are CHB's to compete with

Burton was named at CHB in team of the week but plays more like HBF.

Plays on tall and small, including beating Buddy in a couple of contests.

That is almost as impressive as the time McGrath shut down Betts (Even though he still kicked 6):rolleyes:
you do realise that McGrath only played on Betts for a period of time, during which he kicked 0 goals; yet either side of McGrath playing on him kicked a bag? Clearly not or you wouldn't make such a stupid comment

Burton was named at CHB in team of the week but plays more like HBF.

Plays on tall and small, including beating Buddy in a couple of contests.
given that the entire point is that there are less CHBs to compete with, and that's the role he was put in, it really doesn't have a lot of relevance if you think he plays on small guys too. He played in the position known as "centre half back" did he not?

you do realise that McGrath only played on Betts for a period of time, during which he kicked 0 goals; yet either side of McGrath playing on him kicked a bag? Clearly not or you wouldn't make such a stupid comment
And I am sure that Burton kicked 0 goals in the 2 one on ones against Burton. Buddy still managed to kick 5. If Burton was the CHB of the round how come he didn't go to Buddy after he got on top of Gibson, which was in in the first quarter and shut him down?

I did watch the game Crows/Dons dedarcle. When McGrath went to Betts in the 3rd quarter the game was over and Betts already had 5 and the cue was in the rack. Betts and McGrath didn't really play on each other for most of last as Betts was running through the middle and managed to kick his 6th on Baguley. Note Betts did kick a goal in the 2nd when the Crows surged forward and McGrath was caught not knowing whether to guard Betts (Baguley nowhere to be seen) and another Crow in the goal square and ended up guarding neither, which was more of a team failing. Doubt Eddie is losing much sleep about the prospect of McGrath going to him next time they meet.

I just find it funny when supporter oversell the performances of promising young players through sheer one eyed bias. In this case the claims were too similar to ignore and a good example of why people should really only comment on players from teams they don't support in this thread.

And I am sure that Burton kicked 0 goals in the 2 one on ones against Burton. Buddy still managed to kick 5. If Burton was the CHB of the round how come he didn't go to Buddy after he got on top of Gibson, which was in in the first quarter and shut him down?

I did watch the game Crows/Dons dedarcle. When McGrath went to Betts in the 3rd quarter the game was over and Betts already had 5 and the cue was in the rack. Betts and McGrath didn't really play on each other for most of last as Betts was running through the middle and managed to kick his 6th on Baguley. Note Betts did kick a goal in the 2nd when the Crows surged forward and McGrath was caught not knowing whether to guard Betts (Baguley nowhere to be seen) and another Crow in the goal square and ended up guarding neither, which was more of a team failing. Doubt Eddie is losing much sleep about the prospect of McGrath going to him next time they meet.

I just find it funny when supporter oversell the performances of promising young players through sheer one eyed bias. In this case the claims were too similar to ignore and a good example of why people should really only comment on players from teams they don't support in this thread.

Betts and McGrath still had 3 or 4 one on ones in the 2nd half and McGrath won each of them or at least halved the contest IMO.

Worthy talking point IMO.

given that the entire point is that there are less CHBs to compete with, and that's the role he was put in, it really doesn't have a lot of relevance if you think he plays on small guys too. He played in the position known as "centre half back" did he not?

Nah not really. Most positions in footy are anachronistic anyway. Brand/Gibson seemed the more likely to take the deepest KPF. Burton has played on players like Walker and Hogan in previous games but I don't think you could call him a traditional CHB, BP or HBF. Tall defender, small defender, third tall, zoning loose man, rebounding half back, he tends to float around a lot even within games. I'd call him more of a flanker but it's semantics. The fact that he is able to loosely be defined as a key position player helps him with awards like these because he could really be named anywhere in the back 6 of a TOTW type thing so I get your point.

I think the reason that McGrath (sensational third quarter on Saturday btw) was brought in to the conversation was that over the season there have been comments made on here claiming that he was the standout of the Rising Star field even when Burton had put in a body of work at least as impressive over the season. A lot of scoffing and "if Burton was so good then why is McGrath such a clear favourite?" type comments. Add in comments by people that clearly haven't seen him play much calling him a run-of-the-mill KPD getting easy sideways touches (when he averages over +100m gained relative to McGrath) and you're gonna get some typical BF animosity and dick measuring.

Are you guys okay? How is a player that has played a defensive game on small forwards supposed to average more metres gained?

Why are people comparing stats that are irrelevant to each player when they play different roles? Both are going great and will get better.

If McGrath plays the Jason Johanissen role of run and carry from half back, then he'd average more uncontested possessions and metres gained.

Burton is supposed to have a higher disposal efficiency than McGrath considering the role that each play. For McGrath to have over 80% is a testament to his skills.

I think McGrath will take out the rising star once he is put into the midfield and on the wing. Those quick hands and leg speed will come very handy. He also lifts when the game is there to be won, which I'm hoping to see more of in the midfield. Just do it Woosha!

I really wanted Burton to slip to our 2nd round pick, but Hawthorn picked him up. Great pick up by Hawthorn

Unfortunately it's looking unlikely that McGrath makes the move to midfield/wing this year regardless of how much all our supporters are screaming for it. Woosha hasn't even entertained the idea yet.
Wins in a canter if put in the guts though IMO.

Betts and McGrath still had 3 or 4 one on ones in the 2nd half and McGrath won each of them or at least halved the contest IMO.

Worthy talking point IMO.
I don't really put any stock on anything that happens in a game once you are 10 goals down. All a bit too late to have any relevance.

Back