Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Jack Silvagni

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Harley Balic

Votes: 2 0.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

McGrath is probably leading at the moment but not many are standing up to contend. SPS looks shot and i suspect will spend big chunks of the back half of the year playing VFL

Yeah he was up against it going in with virtually no pre season. They'll play the long game with him, he looks a player.

Rate burton highly and he will win the rising star. But come on last night he kicked two goals from 40 metres out and Bruce mcavaney was carrying on throwing out his specials like the goals were out of the ordinary.... please!!! Jesus they were dead in front with no pressure on him ,,get ya hand of your snout Bruce !!

Where are all these burton haters from the start of the year????
I don't think there were "haters". Just a lot of opposition supporters who hadn't seen much of him and naturally preferred their player more. He got good exposure last night in prime time kicking those 2 goals.

Rate burton highly and he will win the rising star. But come on last night he kicked two goals from 40 metres out and Bruce mcavaney was carrying on throwing out his specials like the goals were out of the ordinary.... please!!! Jesus they were dead in front with no pressure on him ,,get ya hand of your snout Bruce !!
You make it sound like they were junk time, set shots in a game that was sealed.

That first goal came with 5 mins left in the 3rd quarter when we'd been dominating play but failing to get a goal. Potentially without that reward on the scoreboard Hawthorn may have given up enough for Adelaide to put the foot down and run away with it. So it was a significant goal.

The goal itself involved selling some candy to Tex Walker, slipping his tackle, steadying and then kicking from a step inside 50 with a Crows player coming in to smother from the front right.

The second goal was probably closer to 40m but certainly not "dead in front" or "under no present". Again there was a Crows player moving in on him from the front. Even if there weren't there was still huge pressure on the kick given the context - a shot to put his side in front against the top of the table side at home.

Both huge goals for any player to kick - let alone one who hasn't even played a full seasons worth of games.

You make it sound like they were junk time, set shots in a game that was sealed.

That first goal came with 5 mins left in the 3rd quarter when we'd been dominating play but failing to get a goal. Potentially without that reward on the scoreboard Hawthorn may have given up enough for Adelaide to put the foot down and run away with it. So it was a significant goal.

The goal itself involved selling some candy to Tex Walker, slipping his tackle, steadying and then kicking from a step inside 50 with a Crows player coming in to smother from the front right.

The second goal was probably closer to 40m but certainly not "dead in front" or "under no present". Again there was a Crows player moving in on him from the front. Even if there weren't there was still huge pressure on the kick given the context - a shot to put his side in front against the top of the table side at home.

Both huge goals for any player to kick - let alone one who hasn't even played a full seasons worth of games.
Wasn't trying to suggest they were basic goals but they weren't no buddy leaping players then running and kicking a goal.wasnt no eddy betts snapping from the pocket . They were set shots straight in front where any player first or tenth year should kick them!! Was a scrappy foward press dominated game where nothing was overly special.. and that's my point

Wasn't trying to suggest they were basic goals but they weren't no buddy leaping players then running and kicking a goal.wasnt no eddy betts snapping from the pocket . They were set shots straight in front where any player first or tenth year should kick them!! Was a scrappy foward press dominated game where nothing was overly special.. and that's my point
They weren't set shots. Both in general play and definitely under pressure. I suggest you watch the highlights package. Your assessment is way off.

Someone doesn't think Burton will win the award = Burton hate? :confused:
I can vouch for ORourke, i was in many heated conversations just because i suggested he has as good a CHANCE as any.

The replys where he is just your run of the mill prospect and i shouldn't bring him up if he has little chance.

They were actually high pressure goals in between many crows applying pressure, some he had to side step just to get an open shot.

Not talking up the goals i under stand your point, just stateing the facts.

You're not wrong about Mcavaney though, he is usually over the top.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

They were actually high pressure goals in between many crows applying pressure, some he had to side step just to get an open shot.

Not talking up the goals i under stand your point, just stateing the facts.

You're not wrong about Mcavaney though, he is usually over the top.

Yeh I'm not downgrading his goals I celebrated them thought they were good my point was more to do with mcavaney really

They weren't set shots. Both in general play and definitely under pressure. I suggest you watch the highlights package. Your assessment is way off.
Wasn't an attack on his goals I applaud the kid was just the use of special just getting thrown around willy nilly sry if you don't get where I'm coming from

Wasn't an attack on his goals I applaud the kid was just the use of special just getting thrown around willy nilly sry if you don't get where I'm coming from
TV commentators job is to inject hype and excitement. They do that for everything. Just listen to BT going off on 7 now calling Oraaaziooo Fantasiaaaa as he slowly walks in on a set shot.

Yeh I'm not downgrading his goals I celebrated them thought they were good my point was more to do with mcavaney really
Understood. The "no pressure" part annoyed me but i knew what you ment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did McGrath play against the Swans?

Missing a big interstate game wont help his chances.

Round 14

Burton: 21 disposals - 6 marks - 5 rebounds 50s - 2 goals

McGrath: 13 disposals - 2 marks - 0 tackles

Advantage Burton :D

Wow indeed. :oops:

Burton broke his leg badly in 2015 and missed most of that year which forced him to slide in the draft. He never played any footy as a defender as a junior prior to this year, yet he's added another element to his game. Whether you like it or not, Burton is now the fancy favorite and rightly so. He's played well right from the get go in one of the worst teams in the league without much help around him. He'll likely finish second in Hawthorn's best and fairest. Meanwhile McGrath hasn't even been close to Essendon's top five players this year.

You are precious..this award means so much to you..

It makes for a reasonable counter-point to the moronic argument that our youf are s**t.

This backline smashed the supposedly best forward line in the comp - at that supposedly best forward line's home ground:

Duryea Brand Hardwick
Birchall Burton Hodge

One guy is supposedly over the hill, one guy has played about 2 or 3 games because he keeps getting broken bones, 1 guy is a role player spud who fluked a couple of flags, 1 is a kid with minimal experience, and 1 is a kid who has never played in defence until this year and gets put on KPFs - and keeps them quiet.

Its only a matter of time before Hardwick gets a nomination. Keeping Betts to 1 goal at the ground where he tears teams apart surely is a reasonable for a guy with about 10 games experience.

You've posted nothing but dribble in this thread. Burton is the outright favorite now. No other player will come close to winning it.
careful... if burton goes down with a serious injury next game. its now on you.

careful... if burton goes down with a serious injury next game. its now on you.
Exactly. Suspension or injury pretty much kills a players chances at this award. Just look at the majority of past winners. They played at least around 20 games.

I'm not allowed to correct someone who is objectively wrong?

And a player from my team is favourite for this award in a year where there's going to be very little else going my team's way. So I'm following it pretty closely, what does it matter to you?

Back