• Jacob Hopper(GWS)

Votes: 48 10.4%
  • Brayden Fiorini(GC)

Votes: 22 4.8%
  • Wayne Milera(ADEL)

Votes: 20 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
eth, I am a huge fan of Francis. I was hoping like hell he would slide to our pick #8 in the 2015 draft. We missed by a few in the end.

Drafted as a 3rd tall (or maybe huge midfielder), I notice he's now listed as 194cm. I figure at that height he could easily play CHF/CHB. And bloody well.

In those positions, I think it's hard to win the Rising Star in your 1st/2nd season. With some exceptions, I think the award is more likely to go to a midfielder who can rack up 20 possies each week.

You got any info on what he has been training as / where expected to play this year? If say it's in defence, I see little chance he wins the award.
Personally, I can't see him winning it because the way I see it, we have 30 or so players that could play 15+ games, and I can foresee them making several rests for Francis.

I'd be hoping he plays a bit of HB, a bit of HF and a bit of midfield

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
You got any info on what he has been training as / where expected to play this year? If say it's in defence, I see little chance he wins the award.

Third tall forward mainly, still building his fitness base which was impressive before the Christmas break, but has struggled to improve on it. Though don't think he'll ever be a training monster, his best gifts are more game nous. If he wins I think it'll be on the back of inconsistency with sporadic dominating to build hype.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
eth, I am a huge fan of Francis. I was hoping like hell he would slide to our pick #8 in the 2015 draft. We missed by a few in the end.

Drafted as a 3rd tall (or maybe huge midfielder), I notice he's now listed as 194cm. I figure at that height he could easily play CHF/CHB. And bloody well.

In those positions, I think it's hard to win the Rising Star in your 1st/2nd season. With some exceptions, I think the award is more likely to go to a midfielder who can rack up 20 possies each week.

He won't win it. He is still not "there" aerobically yet.

Will need to be rested after every 3 games or so I think which is a shame (but was known pre-draft.) All the news is that he is working hard though so I have no doubt he will get there eventually.

My expectations are for him to play 8-12 games and absolutely tear the opponent apart in 2 of them. (and thus earn a rising star nom)

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lovell in u18 TAC championships averaged 35 possessions a game, Tasmanian MVP and made u18 AA. Burton before injuring his leg was considered a potential top 5 draft pick was highly regarded in SA.

Both should get good game time this year and with 2 preseasons under their belts. At $101, Lovell could become a likeable player for some!

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Lovell in u18 TAC championships averaged 35 possessions a game, Tasmanian MVP and made u18 AA. Burton before injuring his leg was considered a potential top 5 draft pick was highly regarded in SA.

Both should get good game time this year and with 2 preseasons under their belts. At $101, Lovell could become a likeable player for some!

Where do you expect both of them to spend the majority of their time.

I know next to nothing about Lovell but Burton showed some flashes floating off that half forward line last year, is that where he will stay?

matey

Premiership Player
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With Mitchell, Lewis and Hill all leaving I am guessing that Lovell will play midfield and rotate/float down forward. He has a good leap/can take a mark for his size, good acceleration off the mark and has a very good side step. I think his nickname is chopper which suits his nugget build.

I think Burton will play HB and HF depending on the opposition but he will eventually move into the midfield.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
With Mitchell, Lewis and Hill all leaving I am guessing that Lovell will play midfield and rotate/float down forward. He has a good leap/can take a mark for his size, good acceleration off the mark and has a very good side step. I think his nickname is chopper which suits his nugget build.

I think Burton will play HB and HF depending on the opposition but he will eventually move into the midfield.
I would think Burton would mainly play HB due to how many marking options you have in your forward line now with Roughead, Gunston, Vickery and Sicily. It does give you more flexibility though that Burton can play forward as he did in juniors before he broke his leg. Anyway, I'm interested to see how he will perform this year considering he's not carrying the broken leg he carried last pre-season so we should see more of him and this should give him the best chance to really cement himself in your side.

andrewb

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Unlikely to be a bomber I would have thought. With the returning players it is going to be difficult to break into the senior team, at least in the short term, and we have a wealth of options at half back.

Brisbane and Carlton seem like the teams with the most opportunity for a kid to shine at the moment

freebloke

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Unlikely to be a bomber I would have thought. With the returning players it is going to be difficult to break into the senior team, at least in the short term, and we have a wealth of options at half back.

Brisbane and Carlton seem like the teams with the most opportunity for a kid to shine at the moment

I think McGrath has the highest chance.

Half backs have won the rising stars recently (or have beeb nominated a bit).

With Dempsey gone, McGrath will be the preferred HB choice for the bombers. Yes, Goddard will probably go back, but still McGrath will get a game as Woosha will want to pump games into him.

Who won the award last year? You may find he played in a Grand Final team.

If you're good enough, you'll allow yourself the opportunity..........even if you have a host of superstars returning :)

Hawthorn supporters are getting embarrassing with their Burton manlove. The kid hasn't done anything yet and he's already being talked up as the 2nd coming. At least let the dude string some games together first.
It might have something to do with him having a restricted preseason, playing l a handful of games at Box Hill before going back under the knife to have his pins removed, miss 3 months of footy mid-year and then with just 2 games of VFL on his return he debuts and cements his spot in a side vying for 4 straight flags.

The kid had a fantastic first year considering all that he had to overcome and he has talent and swagger by the bucketload, so of course Hawthorn fans are going to be excited about what he could do with a full preseason and all his surgeries behind him.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory

With Dempsey gone, McGrath will be the preferred HB choice for the bombers. Yes, Goddard will probably go back, but still McGrath will get a game as Woosha will want to pump games into him.

Don't think he's a guaranteed starter. Some positives but hasn't been dominating match work, while some direction competition has.

I think you might find McKenna will play ahead of McGrath. Although ideally we'd be getting 15-20 games into both, as well as Francis, Parish and possibly Jake Long.

andrewb

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon

We have so much depth in the backline - Hurley, Hartley, Mitch Brown, Ambrose, Francis and even Hooker as bigs; Kelly, Goddard, Dea, Baguley, Gleeson, McKenna as smalls. That's before you add in Stanton and J Merrett who have been training back. Lots of competition for spots, he will get max 10 games

We have so much depth in the backline - Hurley, Hartley, Mitch Brown, Ambrose, Francis and even Hooker as bigs; Kelly, Goddard, Dea, Baguley, Gleeson, McKenna as smalls. That's before you add in Stanton and J Merrett who have been training back. Lots of competition for spots, he will get max 10 games
J Merrett has been training forward.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think I saw an injury report on him earlier this month, but it will be interesting to see Adelaides outside players early in the season as they look to have potential
Yeah Milera had been on a modified program since around Christmas with a knee complaint but going by this article he's been back in full training since last Monday.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-01-18/milera-on-the-mend

It will be indeed interesting to see the development of some of Adelaide's younger outside players in particular Atkins, Cameron, Knight, Milera and possibly Gallucci.

Last edited:
Back