• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
He might.

Hawthorn's list is so bog average that he's likely to be playing every week if he's fit.

Whereas other better players in stronger teams will have to spend some time in the twos.
Ahhh good ol Jade with his "Hawthorns list is rubbish" routine.

Why don't you tell the punters that you also ran with that s**t prior to the Hawks going Back2Back2Back?

You know SFA about the Hawks list so stop pretending that you do.

Ahhh good ol Jade with his "Hawthorns list is rubbish" routine.

Why don't you tell the punters that you also ran with that s**t prior to the Hawks going Back2Back2Back?

You know SFA about the Hawks list so stop pretending that you do.

Hawthorn's list is utter crap.

Filled with blokes at the end of their careers, or plain average players, or kids that have shown absolutely nothing and yet all of a sudden are going to be stars according to Hawks fans.

It's so poor in fact, that the teams with the stronger midfields will not only beat Hawthorn, but probably give them a fair hiding - the side you'll field at times is barely AFL standard.

Hawthorn's list is utter crap.

Filled with blokes at the end of their careers, or plain average players, or kids that have shown absolutely nothing and yet all of a sudden are going to be stars according to Hawks fans.

It's so poor in fact, that the teams with the stronger midfields will not only beat Hawthorn, but probably give them a fair hiding - the side you'll field at times is barely AFL standard.
I think your being a bit harsh.

16/5 record last season.
Only lost 2 key players from that team and regained Roughead among others.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Any evidence to support that?
16/5 record last season.
Only lost 2 players from that team.
And regained Roughead among others.

Evidence only comes at the end of the season.

But here's some supporting points:

- Five games won by under a goal (granted, that is also a positive, shows you had some champion players)
- Of all finalists, only North had a worse defense
- Didn't win a single final
- Lost 4 of your last six games, and only barely got over Collingwood
- Lost your number one and number two players
- Despite your obvious failing form, not a single player under the age of 21 was good enough to play in Hawthorn's last game. The Dogs had five (and Boyd was 27 days over that mark).
- The worst contested side in the league, and you STILL got rid of your best contested players. For anyone that thinks contested ball isn't important, the top five sides were this years preliminary finalists, plus Adelaide

Now all of that is just a lead indicator for 2017. That doesn't even take in to account the fact that you 'sold' your drafting position for several years, making it extremely difficult to correct your position.

I grant you, you still have 'some' very good players on your list, and that is why you were still able to scrap your way to enough wins to play finals - but without talent to replace these aging players (and really, you have none to speak of comparative to other clubs), your list is toast.

- Five games won by under a goal (granted, that is also a positive, shows you had some champion players)
- Despite your obvious failing form, not a single player under the age of 21 was good enough to play in Hawthorn's last game. The Dogs had five (and Boyd was 27 days over that mark).
- The worst contested side in the league, and you STILL got rid of your best contested players. For anyone that thinks contested ball isn't important, the top five sides were this years preliminary finalists, plus Adelaide

Now all of that is just a lead indicator for 2017. That doesn't even take in to account the fact that you 'sold' your drafting position for several years, making it extremely difficult to correct your position.

I grant you, you still have 'some' very good players on your list, and that is why you were still able to scrap your way to enough wins to play finals - but without talent to replace these aging players (and really, you have none to speak of comparative to other clubs), your list is toast.
Yeah evidence wasn't what i really wanted to say. Thats why i tryed a quick ninja edit. I agree evidence only comes at end of season.

You make some valid points but i still think (as my ninja edit says) your being to harsh.

Even with our glaring weakness we still finnished 16/5. So we are atleast AFL standard. If not above it.

You and I wont have to wait long to reassess though. Rd1.

Yeah evidence wasn't what i really wanted to say. Thats why i tryed a quick ninja edit. I agree evidence only comes at end of season.

You make some valid points but i still think (as my nija edit says) your being to harsh.

Even with our glaring weakness we still finnished 16/5. So we are atleast AFL standard. If not above it.

Yeah - am known for the occasional bout of hyperbole....

Sure!

Always happy to put the proverbial money where my mouth is.

What details you thinking?
If Hawthorn win, I get your signature and avatar until Easter Monday. Likewise if Essendon win, you get mine til Easter Monday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
A lot of the talk on the Brisbane board is that McCluggage is easily in the top 6 best players at the club. I think speaks more to lack of quality players on the list than anything else. But expect him to play a lot despite the lack of an AFL ready body.

A lot of the talk on the Brisbane board is that McCluggage is easily in the top 6 best players at the club. I think speaks more to lack of quality players on the list than anything else. But expect him to play a lot despite the lack of an AFL ready body.

Kid is a jet. Essendon fans were having a good look at him when it became apparent we might draft him.

Barring injury I would expect him to play the bulk of the season in your firsts.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon

You make some valid points but i still think (as my ninja edit says) your being to harsh.

Yeah he is being a bit too harsh IMO, but Hawthorn 2016 reminds me a lot of Geelong 2014. Actually, it is pretty much identical. A lot of close wins saw them make the top 4, but went out in straight sets. The next year, they didn't make the 8 for the first time in so long.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Very hard to make a call on those that haven't played AFL. It really depends who gets given games by their respective clubs and who adapts the most quickly to AFL level. I'd say someone like Francis if I had to pick, and while I don't think he'll win the award, I think the second year Markov will play over 15 games and might suprise by pulling some votes.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

They replaced 2 x 30+ year olds with a 22 and a 23 year old respectively. Whilst getting rid of two first round draft picks in the process.

I'm not sure I follow how they've sold their list down the river tbh. "you have none to speak of comparative to other clubs" I'm pretty sure both of those guys would be near the top of most clubs wish lists from a total player pool if available, each have 10 years left.

They obviously did their due diligence on O'Meara as he looks very likely to play Rnd 1.

Last edited:
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Yeah he is being a bit too harsh IMO, but Hawthorn 2016 reminds me a lot of Geelong 2014. Actually, it is pretty much identical. A lot of close wins saw them make the top 4, but went out in straight sets. The next year, they didn't make the 8 for the first time in so long.
Can't remember going into a year when 14 teams have good reason to think their team can play finals. Roos, Blues, Bris and Tigers for me will miss. Port and Suns outsiders but can make it - the rest will be disappointed to miss. It's a real log jam for spots and I would only lock in GWS, Swans and Dogs. 11 teams for 5 spots. Going to be a good viewing season.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't remember going into a year when 14 teams have good reason to think their team can play finals. Roos, Blues, Bris and Tigers for me will miss. Port and Suns outsiders but can make it - the rest will be disappointed to miss. It's a real log jam for spots and I would only lock in GWS, Swans and Dogs. 11 teams for 5 spots. Going to be a good viewing season.
Yeah it's going to be an interesting season. I think Tigers might be in the log jam if things go their way, but most likely not. Their depth is pretty shallow.

I would probably almost lock Adelaide in as well. Really shaky on Hawthorn and Geelong, especially if they have a bad start to the season.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure if subtle Essendon troll or not, but that's generally how I read your posts.

Given your past history at accurately predicting Essendon's finishing position, where have you got us this year Billy?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Not sure if subtle Essendon troll or not, but that's generally how I read your posts.

Given your past history at accurately predicting Essendon's finishing position, where have you got us this year Billy?

I think you can play finals. Last year playing the kids have put you in a good position in 2017 - it is the flip side with us needing this year to get games into our 2014 and 2015 draft years and working out who will make it at this level. Durdin, Nielson, EVW, McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner all need to get games.

We could also do with a couple of bottom 4 finishes to get some top end talent - the early word is the top end talent in 2017 will be very good. Looking at the Dogs you can bounce back quickly by drafting well. Also not a bad time to bottom out and wait for the Giants to start to fall.

I have you battling with the Dees, Saints, Port and the Eagles for 7th and 8th. My gut says you miss but I also have essendon as the hardest to place of all 18 teams. Concerns over your forward line, Joe's goal kicking and not knowing how the suspended players will return make it near impossible to predict - but hey - if anyone can get close its going to be me.;)

Gibson, Hanson, Swallow, Waite need to be pushed out of the best 22 by the kids you Ess have Stanton, Goddard, Bird, Howlett and Kelly need to be out of your side by years end. Getting the top end talent in and playing the kids have put you a couple years in front of us. Your kids are closer to being ready to step up and replace these players.

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Carlton have a number of possible candidates. Just reckon a second year player might win it. My money is on Charlie Curnow - big body and an athletic powerhouse (forget about SPP from Port - Curnow's got this kid covered); only seen glimpses last year due to injury - can seriously play!

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Carlton have a number of possible candidates. Just reckon a second year player might win it. My money is on Charlie Curnow - big body and an athletic powerhouse (forget about SPP from Port - Curnow's got this kid covered); only seen glimpses last year due to injury - can seriously play!
He could definitely have a breakout year. I saw most of his games, and his marking and athleticism was impressive. I think he'll be one of your best performed forwards this year and even if he isn't one of the best few players in RS contention for this year, I think he'll be one of the top few breaking out among Carlton's younger players.

Back