RLWC '22 2017 RLWC Final: Australia v England

Remove this Banner Ad

Heighington returns for England

Link

Newcastle-bound forward utility Chris Heighington has been recalled to the England side for Saturday's Rugby League World Cup 2017 final against Australia in Brisbane.

The 34-year-old veteran of 317 NRL appearances will play his seventh and most important match for his adopted league nation from the bench, with St Helens skipper James Roby elevated into the starting line-up to replace injured hooker Josh Hodgson in the only change to the England squad.

Heighington played off the bench in England's opening two games against Australia in Melbourne and Lebanon in Sydney.

England team to face Australia: Gareth Widdop, Jermaine McGillvary, Kallum Watkins, John Bateman, Ryan Hall, Kevin Brown, Luke Gale, Chris Hill, James Roby, James Graham, Sam Burgess, Elliott Whitehead, Sean O'Loughlin (c). Interchange: Alex Walmsley, Thomas Burgess, Ben Currie, Chris Heighington. Reserves: Jonny Lomax, Scott Taylor, George Williams, Mark Percival.

Kangaroos unchanged for World Cup final

Link

Kangaroos Coach Mal Meninga has named an unchanged squad for the Rugby League World Cup Final against England on Saturday night at Suncorp Stadium.

“This is the culmination of a lot of hard work and I am proud of the efforts of the entire squad leading into the World Cup Final,” Meninga said.

“It has helped significantly to have an unchanged line-up over the quarter final and semi final stages as we look to build into the Final.

“This will be an enormous occasion for the game and for these players and I’m sure they will all do their country proud on Saturday night.”

The 21-man squad to face England is as follows:

1.Billy Slater
2.Dane Gagai
3.Will Chambers
4.Josh Dugan
5.Valentine Holmes
6.Michael Morgan
7.Cooper Cronk
8.Aaron Woods
9.Cameron Smith (c)
10.David Klemmer
11.Boyd Cordner
12.Matt Gillett
13.Josh McGuire
14.Wade Graham
15.Jordan McLean
16.Reagan Campbell-Gillard
17Tyson Frizell
18.Felise Kaufusi
19.Tom Trbojevic
20.Cameron Munster
21.Ben Hunt

Australia will start as boiling hot favourites, but England impressed me for 73 minutes v Tonga and if they can bring that sort of form on the weekend, then an upset may be on the cards.

Team news and other stuff to follow.
I don’t like to be annoying but it isn’t a Grand Final!
Btw, Australia by 30.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back