Prediction 2017 Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

According to an article on the GCS website (re Joyce) the GCS will try and emulate the Doggies game plan in 2017. Sensible move but it puts at jeopardy any player who considered slow (especially for their position) and cannot make good decisions and execute by hand and especially by foot. If the GCS expect to make a serious tilt at a flag and not just make up numbers then this will be a major factor in their successes or failure. As an example can the club run Barlow, Hallahan and Lonergan in the midfield?
You need 1 or 2 in an unders.. doggies have wallis and libba who aren't fast but add grunt

hii.png

both teams strong considering we still have rookies to come in (may only be 2 with Schade also being selected)

Rischitelli not consider because of his knee

hii.png

both teams strong considering we still have rookies to come in (may only be 2 with Schade also being selected)

Harbs in 100% best 22 IMO. Not sure who I'd take out of your list though - maybe Fiorini or Brodie at the moment.

Harbs in 100% best 22 IMO. Not sure who I'd take out of your list though - maybe Fiorini or Brodie at the moment.

Haven't always been a Harbs fan but he showed something last year when we needed him (especially in the Freo win where he was immense). I think both him and Hall will benefit by having a stronger side next year.

hii.png

Confused again with numbers you list in NEAFL. Thinking we only have 2 rookie spots to fill. Schade was confirmed by club so that leaves 1 spot. You have 3 rookies on top of Schade

I feel quite sorry for Sexton. He worked hard last year to first get his spot in the seniors, and then cement it, even with the injuries. Massive improvement from him in 2016. Now he is gonna find it three times as hard to keep that spot

I hope he has a ripper preseason and fights hard for his spot

I feel quite sorry for Sexton. He worked hard last year to first get his spot in the seniors, and then cement it, even with the injuries. Massive improvement from him in 2016. Now he is gonna find it three times as hard to keep that spot

I hope he has a ripper preseason and fights hard for his spot
Absolute lock in best 22

Off form, 110%

But a few players coming back from injury, A few brought in from other clubs and of course our draftees. It is not going to be easy
That's a good thing though right. I agree it's going to on like Donkey Kong for spots massive pressure to perform or you will get dropped pretty quickly. I think Hall will be the most worried. If he doesn't stick to instructions he will be in the NEAFL on a regular basis.

That's a good thing though right. I agree it's going to on like Donkey Kong for spots massive pressure to perform or you will get dropped pretty quickly. I think Hall will be the most worried. If he doesn't stick to instructions he will be in the NEAFL on a regular basis.

Absolutely! It is a fantastic thing. I just really hope he continues to challenge himself to get better like he did this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely! It is a fantastic thing. I just really hope he continues to challenge himself to get better like he did this year
It's comforting to know that if a few drop like flies we could (hopefully) count on him

Our team is coming together nicely!

Pretty crazy that we could have Bowes, Brodie, Scheer, Fiorini, Ah Chee, Hallahan and Lonergan all waiting to come in.

Most of those guys would be named round 1 in a bottom 4 side... Guess that means we're much better than a bottom 4 side.

Our team is coming together nicely!

Pretty crazy that we could have Bowes, Brodie, Scheer, Fiorini, Ah Chee, Hallahan and Lonergan all waiting to come in.

Most of those guys would be named round 1 in a bottom 4 side... Guess that means we're much better than a bottom 4 side.
And we finally look to have some real depth!!!

So the list is set at 45, considering Rischa is injured that leaves two full teams to take the field for round one and dominate...

Saad Thomo Mckenzie
Kk May Harbrow
Rosa Barlow Hanley
Martin Lynch Miller
Day Wright Ainsworth
Witts Ablett Swallow
Lyons Sexton Fiorini Hall

Two's
Lemmens Leslie Joyce
Scrimshaw Brooksby Willis
Shaw Lonergan Schoenfeld
Scheer Loersch Davis
Matera Grant Ah chee
Nicholls Brodie Bowes
Currie Spencer Mcpherson Hallahan

Which one of the rucks is going to make the jump and own that spot?
Which rookies ability will translate to the AFL the quickest?
Will Sexton keep progressing?
Will Ah Chee become a Star?
Will Ablett play fwd a lot this year?
Will Swallow play a full season?
Will Fiorini be a consistent force?
Can Ainsworth be the player we have been hoping Matera would be right from the getgo?
Will injuries reduce to normal levels?
Will Tmac become a star?
Will Rischa return to his best before mid season?
Scrimshaw could be anything, which will it be and how long will it take?
4 months to go! Its been a cracking off season probably highlighted by the Coch!!
Coch's out for Tony#
Its been Swell boys, have a great christmas!!

So the list is set at 45, considering Rischa is injured that leaves two full teams to take the field for round one and dominate...

Saad Thomo Mckenzie
Kk May Harbrow
Rosa Barlow Hanley
Martin Lynch Miller
Day Wright Ainsworth
Witts Ablett Swallow
Lyons Sexton Fiorini Hall Good looking 22

Two's
Lemmens Leslie Joyce
Scrimshaw Brooksby Willis
Shaw Lonergan Schoenfeld
Scheer Loersch Davis
Matera Grant Ah chee
Nicholls Brodie Bowes
Currie Spencer Mcpherson Hallahan This one too

Which one of the rucks is going to make the jump and own that spot?
Which rookies ability will translate to the AFL the quickest?
Will Sexton keep progressing?
Will Ah Chee become a Star?
Will Ablett play fwd a lot this year?
Will Swallow play a full season?
Will Fiorini be a consistent force?
Can Ainsworth be the player we have been hoping Matera would be right from the getgo?
Will injuries reduce to normal levels?
Will Tmac become a star?
Will Rischa return to his best before mid season?
Scrimshaw could be anything, which will it be and how long will it take?
4 months to go! Its been a cracking off season probably highlighted by the Coch!!
Coch's out for Tony#

Which one of the rucks is going to make the jump and own that spot? Witts
Which rookies ability will translate to the AFL the quickest? McPherson
Will Sexton keep progressing? Yes
Will Ah Chee become a Star? Yes
Will Ablett play fwd a lot this year? Maybe
Will Swallow play a full season? No
Will Fiorini be a consistent force? Yes
Can Ainsworth be the player we have been hoping Matera would be right from the getgo? Yes
Will injuries reduce to normal levels? Yes
Will Tmac become a star? No
Will Rischa return to his best before mid season? No
Scrimshaw could be anything, which will it be and how long will it take? Star..12-18 mths
Coch's out for Tony#

I am thinking that Sam Day will end up replacing Rory at CHB during the year. Unfortunately while Rory gives 100 percent every game his kicking is not up to AFL standard. A game plan based on the Doggies style does not allow a player who cannot kick. Thompson's first choice is a short handball followed by a kick down the line then finally, a kick to the fat side. He and his teammates deliberately minimise any times he has a "hot" kick. Statistics might show a higher efficiency rate but this is because he plays "safe". You cannot afford the luxury of a player in the back 6 who cannot kick!

Here's my best 22 atm. This list does not include new draftees cause we've barely seen them play at state level, let alone AFL level.
I'll elaborate on that further below, but I'll give every player a chance to prove themselves in the NAB Challenge.

DEF:
Adam Saad, Steven May, Trent McKenzie
Jarrod Harbrow, Rory Thompson, Kade Kolodjashnij
MID:
Tom Nicholls, Gary Ablett, David Swallow
Matt Rosa, Michael Barlow, Pearce Hanley
FWD:
Alex Sexton, Tom Lynch, Jack Martin
Brandon Matera, Sam Day, Peter Wright
I/C:
Jarryd Lyons, Aaron Hall, Brayden Fiorini, Touk Miller
EMG:
Daniel Currie, Matt Shaw, Jesse Lonergan

Reasons for including certain players:

Rory Thompson - I know he's played poorly the last few years, but at the same time he's been injured a lot and hasn't had the chance to gain any continuity. I'm willing to give him a chance if it means we can maintain our three-pronged forward line.
Trent McKenzie - Get's first crack over Scrimshaw as third tall defender simply cause of age and experience, and the fact he has played that role well before. Can play well when he's not lazy.
Jarrod Harbrow - Can still be damaging down back and provide leadership. Trust me when I say he will be better when the ball's not inside defensive 50 all the time.
Tom Nicholls - Get's first crack mainly cause he offers more outside of ruck-work (such as tackling, winning his own ball, winning clearances).
Alex Sexton - I was never a huge fan of his, but he has improved a lot in the past year or so and has ironed out most of his bad habits.
Brandon Matera - Get's first crack over Ah Chee, Ainsworth & MacPherson mainly due to age and experience. A lot of people forget his early 2014 form and can get there again if he works hard. And honestly, he'd probably kick more goals than the others anyway.
Brayden Firioni - Has done enough with his limited opportunities. Has shown he can play very well at AFL level and is far above NEAFL level. Rocket isn't just gonna sit there and watch him rack up 30-40 possessions in the reserves every week (only times he hasn't got 30 disposals was when he got injured and when he came back from injury). I know a lot of players dominate NEAFL, but this was in his first year and with injury problems.

Reasons for excluding certain players:

Michael Rischitelli - I'm sorry, but he has gotten progressively worse each year (for the most part) and with this ACL injury I find it very hard for him to ever be in the best 22 again at his age (especially with all these young mids coming through).
Jesse Lonergan - Didn't show enough despite ample opportunity. Also, a lot of players ahead of him who have shown more. Will still get games to prove himself though, as he's not that far out of the best 22.
Daniel Currie - Simply due to the fact I think Nicholls offers more and deserves first crack and cannot fit 2 ruckman in the team. But really, it's almost 50/50 decision as some can argue Currie's hit-outs and marking is more valuable than what Nicholls offers.
Jarrod Witts - Having watched him closely at Collingwood, he still has a long way to go. Still very inconsistent, makes too many mistakes and doesn't do enough. Has never really dominated even at VFL level. Important to remember he was originally a project player from the NSW Scholarship program so he will take time.
Ryan Davis - A handy depth player, but needs to add more strings to his bow being a medium forward. Also, after being out of the AFL system for 6 years still has trouble adjusting to the speed of AFL level, being run down in tackles often.
Jesse Joyce - Not sure there's room for another small defender with Saad and Harbrow in the team. Will probably need to add more strings to his bow and iron out a few errors in his game.
Darcy MacPherson - Love the kid, but very hard to mount a case for him being on the rookie list. Gives immense effort every time, but is still a bit raw.
1st year draftees - Aside from Bowes & Scheer, who have played a handful of NEAFL games, the other draftees have played barely any senior football at all. Outside of the AFL Academy VFL exhibition match, only Ainsworth played VFL last season (which was just one match). They all still need to prove themselves at state level. Also, with any first year player, there are concerns as to whether their bodies can hold up for a full season at AFL level (especially with the interchange cap). Bowes and Scheer did show a bit at NEAFL level (Bowes in particular), but needs to do it more consistently. This is not to say none of them can play senior football, but none of them had played much senior football. All I'm saying is we just need to at least see them at NAB Challenge or NEAFL before they can seriously be considered for best 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back