Prediction 2017 Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally think Nichols is ahead of Witts/Currie. Day to replace Thompson at CHB early in season if GCS any chance of being serious finals contenders. KK has spot to lose but for my thinking is he is poor defensively and his kicking is average at best. Additionally I think Hall and Sexton are in the best 18. Barlow, Lyon and Hanley will be great additions.

B: Saad May McKenzie
HB: Harbrow Thompson KK
C: Hanley Barlow Swallow
HF: Abblet Lynch Martin
F: Day Wright Ainsworth
R: Witts Miller Hall

Int: Ah Chee Lyons Sexton Bowes

DEF:
Adam Saad, Steven May, Trent McKenzie
Jarrod Harbrow, Rory Thompson, Kade Kolodjashnij
MID:
Tom Nicholls, Gary Ablett, David Swallow
Matt Rosa, Michael Barlow, Pearce Hanley
FWD:
Alex Sexton, Tom Lynch, Jack Martin
Brandon Matera, Sam Day, Peter Wright
I/C:
Jarryd Lyons, Aaron Hall, Brayden Fiorini, Touk Miller
EMG:
Daniel Currie, Matt Shaw, Jesse Lonergan

Reasons for including certain players:

Brandon Matera - Get's first crack over Ah Chee, Ainsworth & MacPherson mainly due to age and experience. A lot of people forget his early 2014 form and can get there again if he works hard. And honestly, he'd probably kick more goals than the others anyway.
It's pretty sad we have to look almost three years back, though...

This'll sound mean, but I was incredibly relieved we recruited Ainsworth due to Matera's mediocrity over the majority of his career - which is a shame considering the talent he shows every now and again. He shows signs of being AFL-standard, but that should be a minimum standard, not a shining light of hope at this stage - especially when a lot of his problems stem from laziness. He's simply too lazy to be that defensive forward we're in need of. You only need to see how easily the ball escapes our forward line to see how woeful he is, because apart from not kicking enough goals personally (24 this year isn't anything to rave about), he doesn't even create opportunities through goal assists or pressure acts for his teammates to score from. To put this in perspective, he got / averaged as many tackles as Ty Vickery, y'know, that guy who's renown for his second efforts... Basically, he's been a C-grade forward coasting on our small forward depth being garbage. The only thing at this stage that makes me hope he can succeed is his football pedigree (his last name), and that's it.

I would choose him ahead of our newest recruits for our first game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting dropped due to poor form or Ainsworth forces his way in and he's dropped to make room as a result.

It's pretty sad we have to look almost three years back, though...

This'll sound mean, but I was incredibly relieved we recruited Ainsworth due to Matera's mediocrity over the majority of his career - which is a shame considering the talent he shows every now and again. He shows signs of being AFL-standard, but that should be a minimum standard, not a shining light of hope at this stage - especially when a lot of his problems stem from laziness. He's simply too lazy to be that defensive forward we're in need of. You only need to see how easily the ball escapes our forward line to see how woeful he is, because apart from not kicking enough goals personally (24 this year isn't anything to rave about), he doesn't even create opportunities through goal assists or pressure acts for his teammates to score from. To put this in perspective, he got / averaged as many tackles as Ty Vickery, y'know, that guy who's renown for his second efforts... Basically, he's been a C-grade forward coasting on our small forward depth being garbage. The only thing at this stage that makes me hope he can succeed is his football pedigree (his last name), and that's it.

I would choose him ahead of our newest recruits for our first game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting dropped due to poor form or Ainsworth forces his way in and he's dropped to make room as a result.

I'm not saying he is in the best 22, but due to the uncertainty of the spot, he gets first crack due to age and experience. His tackle numbers were low this year, but they were higher in previous years. And we know he can play well consistently if he works hard. When I made this best 22, to be fair, I made it based on the assumption that everyone is in top form.

I'm not a massive fan of Matera either, and don't care if he gets a game or not, as long as he gets what he deserves, but he is the more senior player who has shown the most imo, and I'm not just gonna ignore someone cause I think they can't get back to their best. If that was the case I would've exclused Thompson, McKenzie and Matera.

I'm not saying he is in the best 22, but due to the uncertainty of the spot, he gets first crack due to age and experience. His tackle numbers were low this year, but they were higher in previous years. And we know he can play well consistently if he works hard. When I made this best 22, to be fair, I made it based on the assumption that everyone is in top form.

I'm not a massive fan of Matera either, and don't care if he gets a game or not, as long as he gets what he deserves, but he is the more senior player who has shown the most imo, and I'm not just gonna ignore someone cause I think they can't get back to their best. If that was the case I would've exclused Thompson, McKenzie and Matera.
His tackling numbers have always been lacklustre, though. For instance, Aaron Hall in 2013 (back when he was regarded as an awful half-forward before turning into a ball magnet in the midfield) racked up more tackles than Brandon Matera's best year. Daniel Rioli (from Richmond) managed to rack up more tackles in his first year compared to Matera's best year, too. Travis Cloke has better tackling numbers. He might be more senior, but even Callum Ah Chee applied more forward pressure this year (getting 49 tackles from 16 games vs Matera's 34 from 17 games). Even Darcy McPherson managed to get 22 tackles in the space of four senior games. If you compare his tackling numbers to other small forwards in the league, Matera's actually ranked as one of the worst and has been for a long time. It's actually pretty shocking and a big reason why he'll eventually be pushed out of the side IMO.

Do you know why the Hawks have a beastly forward line? Breust (94 T). Puopolo (100 T). Rioli (128 T).

Matera is so far behind it's not funny. His best year (tackling-wise) was 2015 with 55 tackles. His best year (as a small forward in general, imo) was 2014 with 49 tackles. Basically, his best year so far is still very B-grade - he hasn't reached anywhere close to an A-grade output - and that's pretty damning when you think about it.

Nonetheless, I agree with all of your selections (including Matera).

I just felt like getting on my soap box over Matera. :p

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Gold Coast. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Adam Saad ~ Steven May ~ Kade Kolodjashnij
HB: Pearce Hanley ~ Rory Thompson ~ Jarrod Harbrow

CENTRE: Michael Barlow ~ David Swallow ~ Matt Rosa
FOLL: Tom Nicholls ~ Aaron Hall ~ Touk Miller

HF: Callum Ah Chee ~ Tom Lynch ~ Gary Ablett
FF: Sam Day ~ Peter Wright ~ Jack Martin

INT: Alex Sexton ~ Jesse Lonergan ~ Jarryd Lyons ~ Ben Ainsworth

Starting off with the back six. The major concern for me is lack of depth in KPD. There's Jack Leslie who has developed his game well at NEAFL level and is now more mature physically than when drafted however after that the list behind May and Thompson drops off to dual position players like Day and if needed Brooksby. Jack Scrimshaw was drafted so I give you that one but he isn't a KPD and in an ideal situation will never be one, moving into the midfield when he bulks up.More of a HBF in the mould of KK and the former Malceski initially.

They weren't defenders capable of handling the power forwards but they did have height on there side so i was surprised to see Tape, Schade and Cameron all let go at the end of 2016 along with mature rookie listed KPD player Tom Keough who was also de-listed. Can't comment to much on Keough's NEAFL form but to let him go after one year with KPD depth a weakness seems odd. Possibly setting themselves up for a big tilt at the more predominantly tall based draft next year but it leaves them short in season 2017.

Saad, Kolodjashnij and Harbrow are staples in the team and bring different elements to the back six. As a small to medium sized defender/ midfielder Alex Sexton rolls through there to being given roles on dangerous opposition players. Hanley is a good addition for experience, run and carry and foot skills but isn't a defensively orientated player. More of an attacking defender than someone who will be assigned an opponent.

Any midfield that loses the class of Prestia and O'Meara needs to do a rebuild of sorts and I think adding senior experienced players like Barlow, Lyons and Hanley in particular the Suns have recoevered there losses somehwat. You get an added mix of inside and outside midfield work from those 3 players and that was before loading up in the draft. Brodie, Bowes and Scheer are all very capable midfielders and with time will cement themselves amongst the best midfield 5. Ainsworth I see as a more of a forward early days that can rotate midfield and be damaging there but his best use is as a smaller forward in my opinion. In time, with development and adding some size Scrimshaw will more than likely roll through the midfield as well.

Hall and Miller have been commonly used midfielders for the Suns over the past couple of years. Both very classy players and with Swallow create a youthful centre square trio which is obviously minus Ablett. It's a new set up but something that needs to be run with for improvement and continued progression in the team.

Barlow and Rosa offer good experience on the wings to the there younger, less experienced team mates. Barlow is known to be able to rack up touches and clearance numbers, Rosa the outside run, carry and class. Overall a good balance in the starting midfield and the stronger contested body of Lonergan comes into the second string midfield off the interchange.

Lynch and Wright are the focal points in the attacking half with Wright and Day likely to be used chop out rucks for Nicholls as well. Again like down back the KPD stocks are fairly dry also. Apart from them there is Day, Brooksby, possibly Loersch and dare I say it Grant but that is all. Lynch and Wright are quality players, not doubting that but they need support both on game day and if they were to be missing with injury.

Got no qualms with the players at there feet in AhChee, Ablett, Martin, Lyons and Ainsworth. Some real class and outside brilliance there but they will need there bigger forwards to create a contest to get the ball to ground. One positive with having those names around the forward half is that they will make it hard for opposition teams to rebound it easily. The pressure to lock the ball inside 50 will be strong. Those names can all move through the midfield as well to be part of the second string mdifield. Having a fit Ablett in the second string midfield while slotting goals from half forward is a big luxury.

I've touched on the draftees already but I'll rehash. 4 picks in the top 10 you can't go wrong and I think they'be balanced the picks well. A small forward in Ainsworth, attacking half back in Scrimshaw, contested ball beast in Brodie and the balanced midfield game of Bowes.

Brad Scheer is an attractive cherry on the top of the cake. Brooksby and Loersch added back into the squad give some depth in the tall stocks but that is really papering over the cracks with the lack of depth in Key Position Players evident.

Think it will be another tough season ahead, with the hope of an injury free year from the best talls on the list. 2017 needs to be a draft/ trade/ free agecy period with plenty of tall talent being brought in.

Hey guys and girls, sorry to intrude but looking to visit all the club best 22's over the next few weeks before Xmas. Here's my crack at Gold Coast. Appreciate any feedback

FB: Adam Saad ~ Steven May ~ Kade Kolodjashnij
HB: Pearce Hanley ~ Rory Thompson ~ Jarrod Harbrow

CENTRE: Michael Barlow ~ David Swallow ~ Matt Rosa
FOLL: Tom Nicholls ~ Aaron Hall ~ Touk Miller

HF: Callum Ah Chee ~ Tom Lynch ~ Gary Ablett
FF: Sam Day ~ Peter Wright ~ Jack Martin

INT: Alex Sexton ~ Jesse Lonergan ~ Jarryd Lyons ~ Ben Ainsworth

Starting off with the back six. The major concern for me is lack of depth in KPD. There's Jack Leslie who has developed his game well at NEAFL level and is now more mature physically than when drafted however after that the list behind May and Thompson drops off to dual position players like Day and if needed Brooksby. Jack Scrimshaw was drafted so I give you that one but he isn't a KPD and in an ideal situation will never be one, moving into the midfield when he bulks up.More of a HBF in the mould of KK and the former Malceski initially.

They weren't defenders capable of handling the power forwards but they did have height on there side so i was surprised to see Tape, Schade and Cameron all let go at the end of 2016 along with mature rookie listed KPD player Tom Keough who was also de-listed. Can't comment to much on Keough's NEAFL form but to let him go after one year with KPD depth a weakness seems odd. Possibly setting themselves up for a big tilt at the more predominantly tall based draft next year but it leaves them short in season 2017.

Saad, Kolodjashnij and Harbrow are staples in the team and bring different elements to the back six. As a small to medium sized defender/ midfielder Alex Sexton rolls through there to being given roles on dangerous opposition players. Hanley is a good addition for experience, run and carry and foot skills but isn't a defensively orientated player. More of an attacking defender than someone who will be assigned an opponent.

Any midfield that loses the class of Prestia and O'Meara needs to do a rebuild of sorts and I think adding senior experienced players like Barlow, Lyons and Hanley in particular the Suns have recoevered there losses somehwat. You get an added mix of inside and outside midfield work from those 3 players and that was before loading up in the draft. Brodie, Bowes and Scheer are all very capable midfielders and with time will cement themselves amongst the best midfield 5. Ainsworth I see as a more of a forward early days that can rotate midfield and be damaging there but his best use is as a smaller forward in my opinion. In time, with development and adding some size Scrimshaw will more than likely roll through the midfield as well.

Hall and Miller have been commonly used midfielders for the Suns over the past couple of years. Both very classy players and with Swallow create a youthful centre square trio which is obviously minus Ablett. It's a new set up but something that needs to be run with for improvement and continued progression in the team.

Barlow and Rosa offer good experience on the wings to the there younger, less experienced team mates. Barlow is known to be able to rack up touches and clearance numbers, Rosa the outside run, carry and class. Overall a good balance in the starting midfield and the stronger contested body of Lonergan comes into the second string midfield off the interchange.

Lynch and Wright are the focal points in the attacking half with Wright and Day likely to be used chop out rucks for Nicholls as well. Again like down back the KPD stocks are fairly dry also. Apart from them there is Day, Brooksby, possibly Loersch and dare I say it Grant but that is all. Lynch and Wright are quality players, not doubting that but they need support both on game day and if they were to be missing with injury.

Got no qualms with the players at there feet in AhChee, Ablett, Martin, Lyons and Ainsworth. Some real class and outside brilliance there but they will need there bigger forwards to create a contest to get the ball to ground. One positive with having those names around the forward half is that they will make it hard for opposition teams to rebound it easily. The pressure to lock the ball inside 50 will be strong. Those names can all move through the midfield as well to be part of the second string mdifield. Having a fit Ablett in the second string midfield while slotting goals from half forward is a big luxury.

I've touched on the draftees already but I'll rehash. 4 picks in the top 10 you can't go wrong and I think they'be balanced the picks well. A small forward in Ainsworth, attacking half back in Scrimshaw, contested ball beast in Brodie and the balanced midfield game of Bowes.

Brad Scheer is an attractive cherry on the top of the cake. Brooksby and Loersch added back into the squad give some depth in the tall stocks but that is really papering over the cracks with the lack of depth in Key Position Players evident.

Think it will be another tough season ahead, with the hope of an injury free year from the best talls on the list. 2017 needs to be a draft/ trade/ free agecy period with plenty of tall talent being brought in.
KPD's May and Thompson
Day and Leslie
Brooksby and Loersch
Mckenzie is our third tall and in an injury crisis could play fullback in a similar vein to Rampe at the Swans (not saying he is as good)..
Scrimshaw to develop into a running 3rd tall (he is 6'4 already)..
Schade was given a lot of chances and is never going to be good enough..
I think you will find that we are as good and as deep as most teams (not all) in the league at KPD... sorry don't agree with your point..
As for your prediction for being another tough year, couldn't disagree more.. Suns will make finals this year and you won't win any writing awards..

Not quite the right thread but near enough...
all our best 22's are getting very similar, I'm sure this will invite a bit more conjecture..
I've ranked our list in order of importance to us winning, based on each player being fully fit (and in form). Obviously had to guess a bit as the draftees haven't played at this level yet..
Tom Lynch
Gary Ablett
Steven May
Jack Martin
David Swallow
Adam Saad
Jarrod Harbrow
Peter Wright
Pierce Hanley
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Kade Kolodjashnij
Matt Rosa
Michael Barlow
Sam Day
Trent McKenzie
Aaron Hall
Jarryd Lyons
Rory Thompson
Alex Sexton
Brayden Fiorini
Ben Ainsworth
Jarrad Witts
Callum Ah Chee
Daniel Currie
Tom Nicholls
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Bowes
Will Brodie
Nick Davis
Brandon Matera
Jesse Joyce
Jack Leslie
Matt Shaw
Jack Scrimshaw
Sean Lemmens
Mckenzie Willis
Josh Schoenfeld
Mitch Hallahan
Brad Scheer
Keegan Brooksby
Darcy McPherson
Jarrod Grant
Cameron Loersch
Max Spencer

Not quite the right thread but near enough...
all our best 22's are getting very similar, I'm sure this will invite a bit more conjecture..
I've ranked our list in order of importance to us winning, based on each player being fully fit (and in form). Obviously had to guess a bit as the draftees haven't played at this level yet..
Tom Lynch
Gary Ablett
Steven May
Jack Martin
David Swallow
Adam Saad
Jarrod Harbrow
Peter Wright
Pierce Hanley
Touk Miller
Michael Rischitelli
Kade Kolodjashnij
Matt Rosa
Michael Barlow
Sam Day
Trent McKenzie
Aaron Hall
Jarryd Lyons
Rory Thompson
Alex Sexton
Brayden Fiorini
Ben Ainsworth
Jarrad Witts
Callum Ah Chee
Daniel Currie
Tom Nicholls
Jesse Lonergan
Jack Bowes
Will Brodie
Nick Davis
Brandon Matera
Jesse Joyce
Jack Leslie
Matt Shaw
Jack Scrimshaw
Sean Lemmens
Mckenzie Willis
Josh Schoenfeld
Mitch Hallahan
Brad Scheer
Keegan Brooksby
Darcy McPherson
Jarrod Grant
Cameron Loersch
Max Spencer
IMO a fit and in form Aaron Hall would be right up near the top. just had to see him in the first few rounds this year to see how damaging a player he can be when he's at his best.

Fair call, I just reckon he needs to do it both ways.. I remember in the last pre-season he was a tackling machine, had 13 one game (maybe the Eagles).. needs to get super fit, build that tank and work it both ways... then he goes in the top five.. can't put him there based on his whole bofy of work just yet.. IMO..

It's not so much his tackle numbers that's the issue its his tackle efficiency. Regardless, he's one of those players that will be very damaging when we become good. Every good team has a couple of those sorts who don't defend that well but are super damaging metres gained wise and inside 50 creators.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not so much his tackle numbers that's the issue its his tackle efficiency. Regardless, he's one of those players that will be very damaging when we become good. Every good team has a couple of those sorts who don't defend that well but are super damaging metres gained wise and inside 50 creators.

He's my favourite player when he's ON........but, so frustrating when he's not....

Sure O'meara and Prestia are better prospects than Hanley and Barlow.

But Hanley and Barlow are BY FAR better current players than the earlier 2. At their best, Hanley is an A grade outside midfielder/wingman, Barlow is an A grade inside midfielder, easily better than O'meara and Prestia.

Think Gold Coast is better off without the 2 for the present and arguably for the future as well.

FB: Adam Saad ~ Steven May ~ Jarrod Harbrow
HB: Kade Koladjashnig ~ Rory Thompson ~ Trent Mckenzie
C: Aaron Hall ~ David Swallow ~ Pearce Hanley
HF: Jack Martin ~ Tom Lynch ~ Alex Sexton
FF: Branden Matera ~ Peter Wright ~ Ben Ainsworth
R: Tom Nichols, Gary Ablett, Michael Barlow
Int: Jarryd Lyons, Michael Rischitelli, Touk Miller, Brayden Fioni

Sure O'meara and Prestia are better prospects than Hanley and Barlow.

But Hanley and Barlow are BY FAR better current players than the earlier 2. At their best, Hanley is an A grade outside midfielder/wingman, Barlow is an A grade inside midfielder, easily better than O'meara and Prestia.

Think Gold Coast is better off without the 2 for the present and arguably for the future as well.

FB: Adam Saad ~ Steven May ~ Jarrod Harbrow
HB: Kade Koladjashnig ~ Rory Thompson ~ Trent Mckenzie
C: Aaron Hall ~ David Swallow ~ Pearce Hanley
HF: Jack Martin ~ Tom Lynch ~ Alex Sexton
FF: Branden Matera ~ Peter Wright ~ Ben Ainsworth
R: Tom Nichols, Gary Ablett, Michael Barlow
Int: Jarryd Lyons, Michael Rischitelli, Touk Miller, Brayden Fioni

Good effort mate, and agree about JOM and Dion. Hanley, Barlow and Lyons more than cover those 2.
Rischitelli is out til mid season, so Rosa in there, and I think Nicholls (coming off an injury) and Matera may miss out in favour of your old mate Wittsy, and maybe Ah Chee might take Matera's spot. Only an opinion.;)

Good effort mate, and agree about JOM and Dion. Hanley, Barlow and Lyons more than cover those 2.
Rischitelli is out til mid season, so Rosa in there, and I think Nicholls (coming off an injury) and Matera may miss out in favour of your old mate Wittsy, and maybe Ah Chee might take Matera's spot. Only an opinion.;)
Thanks . What happens when Nichols is back? Do you play both Nichols and Witts or just the better.

My latest attempt is something like this....

B. Saad Thompson Day
HB. Harbrow May Kolodjashnij
C. Hanley Barlow Hall
HF. Lyons Lynch Swallow
F. Martin Wright Fiorini
R. Witts Ablett Miller
I/C. Rosa McKenzie Sexton Ah Chee.
EMG. Currie Leslie Ainsworth Bowes

Injured: Nicholls Rischitelli

Really like the Suns so I thought Id have a go at best 22 from an outsiders perspective. I thing Day will play down back. while also switching forward when Wright goes in the ruck and that your two tall forwards will be paired with four smalls. I also think Florini is a truly outstanding prospect.

My team:
FB: Saad Thompson Day
HB: Harbrow May Kolo
C: Hanley Barlow Hall
R: Witts Ablett Swallow
HF: Fiorini Wright Miller
Ff: Martin Lynch Ainsworth

I/C Lyons, Bowes, Rosa, Achee

Last edited:
Really like the Suns so I thought Id have a go at best 22 from an outsiders perspective. I thing Day will play down back. while also switching forward when Wright goes in the ruck and that your two tall forwards will be paired with four smalls. I also think Florini is a truly outstanding prospect.

My team:

Pretty sure Jack Martin will fill a hbf position at least early on in season.

My team:

Like this team. Mckenzie and Sexton the unlucky ones there but there is always going to be unlucky ones..
I would love to see Brodie demand a spot too but we will have to wait and see..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back