Prediction 2017 Round 1 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm bored and ready for some freaking Suns footy. Figured I'd update the 22 before the JLT or whatever.

A.Saad ---- R.Thompson ---- S.May
J.Harbrow ---- S.Day ---- K.Kolodjashnij
P.Hanley ---- M.Barlow ---- M.Rosa
J.Martin ---- T.Lynch ---- A.Hall
B.Ainsworth ---- P.Wright ---- C.Ah Chee
J.Witts ---- T.Miller ---- G.Ablett
J.Lyons ---- D.Swallow ---- J.Bowes ---- A.Sexton

J.Scrimshaw ---- K.Brooksby ---- T.McKenzie
B.Fiorini ---- J.Leslie ---- J.Joyce
M.Willis ---- J.Lonergan ---- J.Schoenfeld
M.Shaw ---- J.Grant ---- R.Davis
B.Matera ---- C.Loersch ---- D.Macpherson
D.Currie ---- W.Brodie ---- B.Scheer
T.Nicholls ---- M.Spencer ---- M.Hallahan ---- S.Lemmens

Harbrow will not be fit for round 1.
If that is the case Ill have a go at your Round 1 team:
B: Day Thompson Saad
HB: Bowes May Kolo
C: Hanley Swallow Rosa
R: Witts Miller Ablett
HF: Lynch Wright Hall
FF: Martin Lynch Ainsworth
I/C Barlow, Ah Chee, Fiorini, Sexton

If that is the case Ill have a go at your Round 1 team:
B: Day Thompson Saad
HB: Bowes May Kolo
C: Hanley Swallow Rosa
R: Witts Miller Ablett
HF: Lynch Wright Hall
FF: Martin Lynch Ainsworth
I/C Barlow, Ah Chee, Fiorini, Sexton
If we had two Tom Lynch's, I'd back us in for the premiership!

The reality is round 1 is a soft game against the Lions. The game would be a ripper to play a Bowes and or Ainsworth.

The reality is round 1 is a soft game against the Lions. The game would be a ripper to play a Bowes and or Ainsworth.
I hope our players aren't thinking this way.. the reality is we probably underestimated them last year and got our asses handed to us..
The Lions will be up and about and striving for relevance.. dismiss them at our peril..

Interesting that after a pre-season of Martin, Hanley, Swallow, and Fiorini all having their names thrown around for a spot in defence that Bowes has comes out of nowhere, and could be the one sent down there come round 1. And I don't mind the idea of having him learn the ropes from a half-back flank, especially if Harbrow isn't right to go. I wonder if the plan is still the same for Fiorini, even with Bowes back as well? I guess we'll find out more when Rocket names his side for next weekend.

I hope our players aren't thinking this way.. the reality is we probably underestimated them last year and got our asses handed to us..
The Lions will be up and about and striving for relevance.. dismiss them at our peril..
yep the Lions are a huge unknown. New coach bringing new structures and confidence into the group, nowhere to go for them but up, and add a fit Beams, McClugg, and an apparently rejuvenated Rockliff and they have a very good midfield. Plus form goes out the window in the Qclash, and we do not want to send the message to our young team that any other club is an easy beat, or that we can just rock up and expect 4 points.

Obviously no side is to be underestimated. However the 1st round of the AFL season every side should be pumped.

The Lions will improve but there biggest problem will be to kick a winning score with a very inexperienced forward line.

If the GCS cannot get a win here, it is going to be a very very long year.

I just think realistically it would a good game to blood a new draftee.

My pick for Lions game:

A.Saad ---- S.May --------T.McKenzie
J Martin ----R. Thompson-K.Kolodjashnij
P.Hanley ---M.Barlow-----J.Lyons
G.Ablett ----T.Lynch ----- A.Hall
B.Matera----P.Wright -----S.Day
J.Witts ----- T.Miller -------D.Swallow
J.Lonergan--M.Rosa ------J.Bowes ---- A.Sexton

Touk a pure midfielder going off most the teams posted. Hows his preseason to date?

Interesting that so many people have Miller as a full time midfielder.

Personally it's really hard for me to imagine that Miller gets a full time gig considering the quality of the surrounding players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally it's really hard for me to imagine that Miller gets a full time gig considering the quality of the surrounding players.
Could be because Rodney Eade said he would be a starting mid this year reguardless of whos available.. or he was our best and most consistent midfielder in the second half of last year, been voted into the leadership team and despite an injury early in the preseason was one of the better performed in the practice match, or he lacks a second best position

More than talented enough to be there. So tough, consistent and dependable.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Could be because Rodney Eade said he would be a starting mid this year reguardless of whos available.. or he was our best and most consistent midfielder in the second half of last year, been voted into the leadership team and despite an injury early in the preseason was one of the better performed in the practice match, or he lacks a second best position
That's interesting, do you mind linking me to Eade saying that?

Hope you don't mind the intrusion but have piled into you boys yet again to make the top 8 - this time at $6 - and have been all over the pre-season coverage! At last you have something close to a full list coming into Rd 1.

I pray Bowes is the real deal and can give you some real quality off the HBF this year. It's been excruciating watching Harbrow and Malceski turn it over incessantly for the last two years. It's hard to believe Harbrow is the same player that used to dominate for the Dogs.

Getting Kolodjashnij back to something like his best - which Rocket is inferring he is - will help too. Shore up that half back line, keep a fit list and the improvement will be rapid.

I know it's only one preseason game but I was impressed with Brodie. Anyone think he could get a go in round 1?

I love the look of Brodie and with a couple more good JLT games anything is possible, but I dont think so. Unlike Ainsworth and Bowes, there is alot of competition for spots in his position. We already have Swallow, Touk, Hall, Barlow, Sexton, and Lonergan as pure midfielders plus 4 or 5 others who will spend time there, and at the moment Brodie can't really play in another position at the highest level compared to some of these guys. And looking at many best 22 predictions, we already have the likes of Sexton, Lonergan, Fiorini fighting it out for 1 or 2 spots. So he is going to have to either demand a spot by his performances, or be given games because we get hit by injuries again (fingers crossed this isnt the case).

Also, because he has come in off the back of an interrupted 1st pre-season, we might look to take a slower approach and have him develop in the NEAFL for a bit. There is no need to rush him in, he is going to be a gun for us for many years to come (assuming he stays).

But in saying that I would love to see him manage 10 or so games throughout the season and gives us a peak at whats to come. There is a reason he was discussed as a possible #1 pick earlier last season.

But in saying that I would love to see him manage 10 or so games throughout the season and gives us a peak at whats to come. There is a reason he was discussed as a possible #1 pick earlier last season.

Agree on the 10 or so games for the season for Brodie, hoping similar for Ainsworth and Bowes.

They might be playing well enough to get games, but if we are any good we can't have too many 1st and 2nd year players in the team at once.

All these 20 and under young guys will simply not have the engine yet to run and spread all game, let alone game after game.

Playing Ainsworth deep forward and Fiorini and Bowes in defence will help a bit, but running is such a big part of winning games in 2017 then I doubt we can carry more than 3 or 4 1st or 2nd year players and still expect to get enough run and spread to win consistently.

I keep thinking back to our floggings in the last few years and how we often we were outrun and how many uncontested possessions we gave up.

The 4 worst teams at giving up uncontested possessions last year were Essendon, Saints, Freo, then the Suns.

Give them a good taste, but if we are playing well, a good taste will be enough.

I love the look of Brodie and with a couple more good JLT games anything is possible, but I dont think so. Unlike Ainsworth and Bowes, there is alot of competition for spots in his position. We already have Swallow, Touk, Hall, Barlow, Sexton, and Lonergan as pure midfielders plus 4 or 5 others who will spend time there, and at the moment Brodie can't really play in another position at the highest level compared to some of these guys. And looking at many best 22 predictions, we already have the likes of Sexton, Lonergan, Fiorini fighting it out for 1 or 2 spots. So he is going to have to either demand a spot by his performances, or be given games because we get hit by injuries again (fingers crossed this isnt the case).

Also, because he has come in off the back of an interrupted 1st pre-season, we might look to take a slower approach and have him develop in the NEAFL for a bit. There is no need to rush him in, he is going to be a gun for us for many years to come (assuming he stays).

I will be literally physically ill if Fiorini is left out of the Rd 1 side - IMO he already in the top 12 players at club.

I turned on to watch last night's game and they saw a replay of last 10 mins of the weekend's Brisbane game. Fiorini shot out a handball as quick as a flash under immense pressure and hit his target on point. The kid can use it by foot and is good in tight. I'm waiting for rd 1 team to come out before I see if I become physically ill - if named I'm dropping $50 on him for the rising star at $11.

Fiorini is a jet. Very astute pick up. Literally a Dal Santo clone.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back