Prediction 2017 Round 1 Best 22

WCE1987

All Australian
Sep 3, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Black Ducks, Scorchers, Rams
Hey GC's how is Jack Martin looking? Read its one of his first good un-interrupted pre seasons.

Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears
Hey GC's how is Jack Martin looking? Read its one of his first good un-interrupted pre seasons.
Seems to have put on a little bit of weight, (can hardly tell but most of us have been watching him under a microscope so we can tell). Looks fit as anything, I think he starts tearing games apart this year. Not every week but he will really start to make an impact. Doesn't matter were he plays on the field, he is going to be great

Bazza37

Club Legend
Feb 10, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
B : McKenzie Thompson Saad
HB : Hanley May Kolodjashnij
C : Hall Barlow Sexton
HF : Martin Lynch Lyons
F : Ainsworth Wright Ablett
Foll : Currie Miller Swallow
l : Lonergan Rosa Ah Chee Fiorini
Emg : Brodie Bowes Witts (Their time will come)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

LynchysMob

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
B : McKenzie Thompson Saad
HB : Hanley May Harbrow
C : Hall Barlow Sexton
HF : Martin Lynch Lyons
F : Ainsworth Wright Ablett
Foll : Currie Miller Swallow
l : Witts Kolodjashnij Rosa Ah Chee
Emg : Brodie Bowes Fiorini (Their time will come)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
No Harbs round one bro. Can't see us playing two rucks personally but never know I guess.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
I think Harbrow is still inline to play round one. Miller said that only Rischa and Day are out for round one.

I wouldn't be surprised if he came back through the NEAFL if he doesn't get up for JLT 3. No reason to rush him in, especially with an interrupted pre-season, and more importantly it opens up room for both Bowes and Fiorini to feature down back! :eek:

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I wouldn't be surprised if he came back through the NEAFL if he doesn't get up for JLT 3. No reason to rush him in, especially with an interrupted pre-season, and more importantly it opens up room for both Bowes and Fiorini to feature down back! :eek:
Honestly think Brodie deserves his spot in the side before Bowes right now - at least based on the JLT games. Think it would be very stiff not to give him a round 1 start after how well he's performed so far.

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders
Honestly think Brodie deserves his spot in the side before Bowes right now - at least based on the JLT games. Think it would be very stiff not to give him a round 1 start after how well he's performed so far.

Thats fair, although I assume that the only reason Bowes was rested for the Essendon game was because his spot is safe. Either that or he had minor niggle or something, otherwise I don't know why he wouldn't have played like Brodie and Ainsworth.

But yes Brodie has exceeded expectations to say the least given what Rocket said about him debuting later on, and I dont think anyone would be left scratching their heads if he were to get a spot come round 1.

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Where to you play brodie though? As a pure inside mid?

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Where to you play brodie though? As a pure inside mid?
Inside mid mostly but he looked as though he could swing forward a bit against Essendon with his 2 goals - A Luke Parker type role perhaps. Not 100% sure but I just feel his form so far has warranted a round one spot in the side

winning

All Australian
Nov 5, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I think the pressure is on Kolodjashnij to keep his spot in the seniors.

While he is presently in the best 22 the early part of the season will need him to be more accountable in the backline or risk losing his spot to some of the new boys.

Competition is healthy at GCS which is a very very good sign.

SunsBhoy

Club Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

While he is presently in the best 22 the early part of the season will need him to be more accountable in the backline or risk losing his spot to some of the new boys.

Noticed watching both games live that KK is playing much deeper than before is playing last line of defence and Fiorini and Bowes have been playing more half back , might take him a little to adjust.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Noticed watching both games live that KK is playing much deeper than before is playing last line of defence and Fiorini and Bowes have been playing more half back , might take him a little to adjust.

He seems to be playing McKenzie's 3rd tall/last line of defence role in the JLT with Trent out injured. Noticed he was also taking quite a few kick ins using his long kick to try and clear the zone.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is the first year I've ever really had trouble picking out best 22. What a good ******* problem to have. After our game Thursday night I'll have my final crack at it. I'm already leaving out players I don't want to leave out so that's a good start
Will also be a good problem having to fit Harbs and Rischa back in when they become available again.

Fat Pizza

Premiership Player
Feb 1, 2001
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Fitzroy

KK will finish top 5 in our B&F this year.

azza77

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings, Manchester Utd
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread, but what role do you see Barlow playing this year. Do you expect him to be in the guts and doing a lot of the grunt work, leading the inside midfield brigade?

Or do you expect him to be still playing the tagging / half forward role that was rumoured earlier this PS?

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers
Hey guys sorry if this is the wrong thread, but what role do you see Barlow playing this year. Do you expect him to be in the guts and doing a lot of the grunt work, leading the inside midfield brigade?

Or do you expect him to be still playing the tagging / half forward role that was rumoured earlier this PS?

I see him playing more time in the guts than pretty much anyone else on our list. He may do tagging jobs from time to time but don't think that impacts on his output as he still ends up finding the footy in that role.

Most other mids on our list are more dangerous as forwards than him (Ablett, Miller, Hall, Lyons) or can rotate to the backline or to a wing (Hanley, Fiorini and Swallow), which means he is best suited to playing in the guts than most others.

Unlike most other sides we don't really any other tall inside mids (until we drafted Will Brodie) so he has point of difference too many of the mids on our list.

Big Rig Power

Debutant
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hey fellas just woundering if u guys think bowes will be one to drop out if harbrow plays rd 1?

Also love the way brodie has been going about it as im sure everyone here does to just woundering if u guys think hell will make rd 1 team specially if his next game is like the last 2

thanks

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Hey fellas just woundering if u guys think bowes will be one to drop out if harbrow plays rd 1?

Also love the way brodie has been going about it as im sure everyone here does to just woundering if u guys think hell will make rd 1 team specially if his next game is like the last 2

thanks
Don't think harbrow plays 1.
Rocket stated probably needs a few in the neafl

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

thanks

He has come from not being much of a chance at Rd 1 to being right in the frame for Rd 1.

It counts against him that we are loaded for depth in the midfield and he doesn't have an obvious secondary position (e.g. forward) that gives him the flexibility of a Bowes.

Probably 6 players fighting it out for 2 spots tomorrow night - Grant, Joyce, Leslie, Bowes, Ah Chee, Brodie + Lemmens according to Rocket presser is apparently still in the frame which is a little concerning...

Of the squad one of Witts/Currie have to play and Schoenfeld is probably the only one who is probably not a realistic shot due to the position he plays.

ATM of that group I would probably be leaning towards Bowes as he can play back and Brodie if he can beat out Ah Chee for the last spot tomorrow night

Back