News 2017 Round 1 Blockbuster Friday Night vs Collingwood

It's gonna be a massive start to the season for us.

Collingwood in round one on a Friday night has the potential to break our Home and Away attendance record.
Round two is will be the unfurling of the premiership flag for Libba's 100th game.
Round three: 100 games for Crameri, 50 games for Smith.
Round four: 250 games for Cloke.
Round five: 300 games for Murphy.

Missed the finals that year I think.
We did. I believe the greatest ever team to miss the finals, and perhaps the stiffest. I challenge anyone to dispute those.

We had a 12-6 win/loss record and a percentage of 130, finishing outside the top four by 0.6%.

If you think that's stiff, that's not the half of it. With two rounds to go, we were sitting fourth with a 10-6 record and a percentage of 124.6, which was 2.3% more than Essendon who occupied fifth position. In our final two matches, we defeated Fitzroy and North by 18 and 60 points respectively. We got jumped by Essendon because they won their final two games by 73 and 46 points.

Believe it or not, in 1955 we had more members than every other team for the first and only time in our history.

SCRAY72

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2002
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We did. I believe the greatest ever team to miss the finals, and perhaps the stiffest. I challenge anyone to dispute those.

We had a 12-6 win/loss record and a percentage of 130, finishing outside the top four by 0.6%.

If you think that's stiff, that's not the half of it. With two rounds to go, we were sitting fourth with a 10-6 record and a percentage of 124.6, which was 2.3% more than Essendon who occupied fifth position. In our final two matches, we defeated Fitzroy and North by 18 and 60 points respectively. We got jumped by Essendon because they won their final two games by 73 and 46 points.

Believe it or not, in 1955 we had more members than every other team for the first and only time in our history.
And all downhill membership and supporter base wise ever since. Clubs like Richmond , Essendon and Carlton went past us due to lack of success. The baby boomers including some that lived in the west started to follow the big clubs and so did their kids.
Until now. The club has broken the drought, has marketable players aplenty and represent the fast growing region in Australia.
Time to build the supporter base.

TommyD13

Premiership Player
Jul 31, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Adelaide United Southampton
dads a pies fan so i am soo looking forward to this one. Also when does the rest of the fixture get announced?

It is unveiled at your 1st home game, so you would think our round 2 match would be a home match at Etihad. Make it against GWS.
Why shouldn't the 2017 round 1 game be at the G and be our home game? Surely we are not going to have every round 1 game a Collingwood home game? And surely we wouldn't try to play a round 1 game against Collingwood at Etihad, ever?

If it truly is to be our blockbuster, then the game should always be round 1 at the G, with home game rights rotated each year, as with all of the other blockbusters.

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Why shouldn't the 2017 round 1 game be at the G and be our home game? Surely we are not going to have every round 1 game a Collingwood home game? And surely we wouldn't try to play a round 1 game against Collingwood at Etihad, ever?

If it truly is to be our blockbuster, then the game should always be round 1 at the G, with home game rights rotated each year, as with all of the other blockbusters.

Who's saying it isn't?

Who's saying it isn't?
Have a look at the post by MYOB in which he said we would unveil our flag at our first home game in round 2. I believe that the AFL could and should make the 2017 round 1 game against Collingwood at the G our home game...and therefore we'd unveil the flag in front of an 80,000 plus crowd and get the financial windfall that should flow from that.

Have a look at the post by MYOB in which he said we would unveil our flag at our first home game in round 2. I believe that the AFL could and should make the 2017 round 1 game against Collingwood at the G our home game...and therefore we'd unveil the flag in front of an 80,000 plus crowd and get the financial windfall that should flow from that.
AFL have to get as many Collingwood fans through the gate as possible in Round 1. They'll start dropping off as early as Round 2 after we pump them.

That's why it has to be a Collingwood home game. :)

Business trumps sentiment every day of the week at AFL House.

The Original Swooper

Premiership Player
Mar 11, 2007
3rd house on the left
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
OFC FC
AFL have to get as many Collingwood fans through the gate as possible in Round 1. They'll start dropping off as early as Round 2 after we pump them.

That's why it has to be a Collingwood home game. :)

Business trumps sentiment every day of the week at AFL House.

When we beat the Pies in the 2017 PF then go B2B, we'll get 90K to our home game R1 2018. :p:rainbow:

Close.

There were actually 17,844 people in attendance that afternoon.

We got 68,050 against North Melbourne in the final round of 1998.
No it was 68,477 against Richmond
We led by a point at 3qtr time
Lost 19 19 133 to us 14 17 101

We were second on the ladder before the game

Was at the game. Ended up losing the elimination final against Collingwoo was at that game to

Back