Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm still enjoying the afterglow from yesterday's win so let's kick off predictions for next years team.

2 list management decisions I'll assume are Merrett retires and Green requests a trade.

B: Gardiner Andrews Harwood
HB: Mayes McStay Cutler
C: Zorko D Beams Rich
HF: Hanley Close Bastinac
FF: Walker Schache Taylor
Ruck: Martin Rockliff Robinson
Bench: Christensen, Paparone, Bell, Bewick

Not too sure on the last 2 spots on the bench. Both could easily be overtaken by Mathison, Keays, etc.

I'm still enjoying the afterglow from yesterday's win so let's kick off predictions for next years team.

2 list management decisions I'll assume are Merrett retires and Green requests a trade.

Not too sure on the last 2 spots on the bench. Both could easily be overtaken by Mathison, Keays, etc.

Hard to imagine we'll start the year with that backline. We'll be searching high and low for a key defender this off-season.

It really drives home what a loss Clarke is.

On another note, I'm not convinced Taylor starts over Lester, Mathieson and Keays.

Was going to start this thread last week.

Will be interesting. Having Beams x2, Bell, Christenson, McStay and Bewick available will make a difference.

Hipwood doesn't make the cut? (yet Paparone does?)

He has shown just as much if not more then Schache.
He has shown more, but he's no where near physically ready to play all 22 rounds next season. Schache is more physically developed and has the endurance. Hipwood will be given games, but I suspect that Walker, Close and Schache will be our best 22. Hopefully Freeman can have a big pre-season.

He has shown more, but he's no where near physically ready to play all 22 rounds next season. Schache is more physically developed and has the endurance. Hipwood will be given games, but I suspect that Walker, Close and Schache will be our best 22. Hopefully Freeman can have a big pre-season.
Will be interesting to see what we do. Hipwood can play both ends. So maybe he goes back next year. Walker is our forward/ruck. That leaves schache freeman close and hipwood as key forwards. Unfortunately cant play them all. I suppose your right. Mine would be close and schache before hipwood and freeman. Cant remember a time we have had so many promising talls playing 2s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Real cult of personality with McGrath. Don't see him playing seniors again. Got a run early last year for having a crack in pre season but aside from courage didn't show much IMO.

IMO hipwood has to be in. I think it's close v walker for 3rd tall. The other one will probably get plenty of games due to form, resting, fitness anyway - nice to have depth. A couple of alternatives for in game coverage for the talls - I believe there is scope to have 1 tall play off the bench as rotation cover for 7 talls on field (3 fwds, 3 def, I ruck), although the height Leppa picks in defence means we often have an extra tall down there for flexibility if required (eg. Yesterday Gardiner, Merritt, Andrews, hammer) and lester/Janson/bell can pinch hit as third talls.

Don't see freeman getting much of a go, just not footy smart or fit enough to contribute aside from 5 possessions a game others give to him. He doesn't provide any defensive pressure or get to the right spots without the ball.

I'd also have Mathieson in ahead of Bewick, bell, lester already.

I don't think mcstay, Andrews or Gardiner are up to being the monster 1 on1 defender yet. So any team IMO needs to assume either Merritt plays on or we recruit someone.

I don't think I'm alone here, but I think Schache and Hipwood can be a fantastic duo, just like Roughead and Franklin or Brown and Bradshaw etc. Purely for that reason, I think they should play as many games together as possible. If that costs us a win or two over the next year or two so be it.

I really hope we can get a Steven Hill, Andrew Gaff, Jared Polec, Josh Kelly etc. style player with our first pick. Some outside speed with class. If we do I'd be playing him as much as possible too (provided he is ready enough to play AFL).

Don't mind our forward line but geez our back 6 look pretty average as a group. Need a key back and a permanent move of Christenson to defence or something similar.
agree RE Christensen, thought he looked good down there before injury.

I think our Defensive 6 looks good in 3 years time, but next year the same 6 will be still be undersize and inexperienced comparatively. Would love a Key Back aged anywhere from 24-28.

I don't think I'm alone here, but I think Schache and Hipwood can be a fantastic duo, just like Roughead and Franklin or Brown and Bradshaw etc. Purely for that reason, I think they should play as many games together as possible. If that costs us a win or two over the next year or two so be it.

I really hope we can get a Steven Hill, Andrew Gaff, Jared Polec, Josh Kelly etc. style player with our first pick. Some outside speed with class. If we do I'd be playing him as much as possible too (provided he is ready enough to a play AFL).
I suppose the only thing to be wary of is the 2nd year blues, particularly as they put on muscle which might see them struggle to adjust for a year or 2. Hard to see Freeman getting a go if Close keeps playing like that. Close applied far more defensive pressure than Freeman typically does. Walker needs to lift also or risk being overtaken.

I really hope we can get a Steven Hill, Andrew Gaff, Jared Polec, Josh Kelly etc. style player with our first pick. Some outside speed with class. If we do I'd be playing him as much as possible too (provided he is ready enough to play AFL).
Hugh McGluggage has been compared to Jason Akermanis, would that be good enough?

Christensen, Bell & Beams will make a huge difference to our team. Hopefuly we can recruit a couple more decent mature players over the offseason as well

Don't mind our forward line but geez our back 6 look pretty average as a group. Need a key back and a permanent move of Christenson to defence or something similar.

At the start of the year we were saying the other way around. A lot can change in 12 months or less. :)

should put out an under 23 side round 1 next year-

Tom Cutler, Sam Skinner, Reuben William.
Sam Mayes, Harris Andrews, Darcy Gardner.

Archie Smith, Rhys Matheison, Ben Keays.
Nick Robertson, Jared Jansen, Billy Evans.

Lewis Taylor, Eric Hipwood, Jaden McGrath.
Michael Close, Josh Schache, Josh Clayton.

Liam Dawson, Marco Paparone, Dan McStay, Jonathan Freeman.

emergencies- Hugh McGluggage, Shai Bolton, Jacob Allison.:)

highlights a serious lack of elite young mid fielders on our list. Plenty of keys there.

I did like Bundy down back TBH. Is he quick enough to play on small forwards though? Mayes seems to becoming a bit of a general down back which is a role he will only grow into. If Merrett is gone and we don't find a mature KPD we may need to try Josh Walker down that end. Interesting times ahead with plenty of competition for spots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back