Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

He started there and I think he's one of the most natural forwards and strongest goal kickers we have in our team. I understand he was moved to defense under Leppa and there's a quote somewhere about him saying he wanted to be a defender but I tend to think his skillset isn't being properly utilised and we now have a plethora of options to fill his role is defense long term.

OK cool. So we are just going to overlook the strides forward he made down as a half back last year.

Ignoring his rookie status, I reckon he'd be first in line if any of our midfield brigade were injured. He's a solid boy and has a few years under his belt. I'm happy we picked him up as I think he can play an important role in feeding the ball out to Rich/Beams etc. and allow Rocky to spend more time forward.
The important line being ignoring his rookie status. However Skinner is on the LTI list and if Barrett forces his way into the round 1 side that should be viewed as a positive

OK cool. So we are just going to overlook the strides forward he made down as a half back last year.

Pretty weak argument. By the same token you could you say when he was moved down there, "are we just going to ignore all the talent he's shown and time he's spent as a junior and in the AFL as a forward?"

He definitely made strides as a defender in the tail end of last year, but I still feel he's a more natural forward and shown he can contribute to the team more in a forward role. Moot though if Fagan feels he's better suited to defense. We'll just have to wait and see where he ends up.

Pretty weak argument. By the same token you could you say when he was moved down there, "are we just going to ignore all the talent he's shown and time he's spent as a junior and in the AFL as a forward?"

He definitely made strides as a defender in the tail end of last year, but I still feel he's a more natural forward and shown he can contribute to the team more in a forward role. Moot though if Fagan feels he's better suited to defense. We'll just have to wait and see where he ends up.
I wonder if anyone has noticed anything at training, what group he is training with? It might confirm.
I feel confident with the coaching group and Fagan that the best decision will be made for him and the team.
But i believe he is a more natural forward/wingman. But i haven't yet seen anything to suggest he will be moved there.

Yeah, it's a bit like saying Akermanis should never have left playing in the back pocket after playing in defence and excelling for the entirety of the 99 season when Leigh Matthews transferred him down there from the forward/mid role he had previously played and as a junior to later becoming the best small forward I've ever seen (and yes better than my all time favourite Mickey Conlan) of any team / era in my lifetime.

Of course not saying Mayes is at that level, but I'd prefer him forward too.

On the flip side, there is nothing to suggest that unlike Akermanis moving forward again after 99, that Mayes won't go back forward as we saw with Chrissie Johnson turning into the best small rebounding defender I've ever seen after another Matthews master stroke in the 2000 season.

What is the general consensus on Jake Barrett getting a crack in the senior side in Round 1? Anyone think it's a good possibility? I suppose his form in the pre season games will have a big say in whether he gets a go or not.
I think there's a role for someone like him or Jansen as that inside bull in our best 22. Beams, Zorko and Rich are better utilised receiving handballs into space rather than winning the hard ball. Rocky needs support and should also spend a significant amount of time forward. Robbo has the responsibility of playing on the best opposition mid, so he can't be expected to be our main clearance winner as well. So I think Barrett has a spot there if he's good enough. IMO he's likely to be there early on.

Barrett is rookie list isn't he? So probably not a huge chance of playing early.
Don't forget Skinner can essentially go on to the long term injury list even now so a spot already available for Barrett

Here's mine:
Back: J.Frost Andrews Gardiner
Half-Back: Rich McStay Harwood
Centre: S.Mayes D.Beams Keays
Half-Forward: Hipwood Walker McLuggage
Forward: Zorko Schache Bell
Foll: S.Martin M. Robison Rockliff
Interchange: Lester, Matheison, Christensen, Bastinac

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's mine:

Barrett for Lester.

Here's mine:
Barrett for Lester.

Anyone for Lester: Paps, Berry, Barrett, Nick Robbo even Bewick.

foxsports article today re each sides starting 22 round 1- http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bes...n/news-story/728867c7d94ae5c6eccf50a10df0fb0a

BRISBANE LIONS

B: Ryan Harwood, Jack Frost, Darcy Gardiner

HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Ryan Lester

C: Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Lewis Taylor

HF: Tom Bell, Josh Schache, Sam Mayes

F: Allen Christensen, Michael Close, Daniel McStay

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Dayne Beams

INT: Ryan Bastinac, Rohan Bewick, Rhys Mathieson, Hugh McCluggage

EMG: Ben Keays, Eric Hipwood, Josh Walker

OTHERS: Tom Cutler, Jarrad Jansan, Claye Beams, Nick Robertson, Jacob Allison, Jake Barrett, Jarrod Berry, Josh Clayton, Cedric Cox, Liam Dawson, Jonathan Freeman, Corey Lyons, Marco Paparone, Sam Skinner, Alex Witherden

ROOKIES: Blake Grewar, Matthew Hammelmann, Cian Hanley, Mitch Hinge, Oscar McInerney, Archie Smith, Reuben William

AGAIN, Brisbane fans will have to be patient with their list, which is the youngest in the competition by quite some margin. Due to that, we could see some of the club’s most recent draftees blooded early in the season, such as No. 3 pick Hugh McCluggage — a player who could walk into most top 22s around the league. The Lions’ spine includes several youngsters like Michael Close, Josh Schache and Harris Andrews, while ex-Pie Jack Frost will take the opposition’s No. 1 defender from Round 1.

how Lester could be in the back 6 in front of Cutler is a mystery and Taylor as a mid? Bell will have to show improved disposal skills in the JLT to earn a spot as Chris Fagan has shown that he places a high priority on improving our skill level.

Agreed. If it was Lester vs say Keays, you might argue 'play the experienced guy' but Cutler is entering his 4th year. Lester might be a handy injury replacement, but can't see him starting.

foxsports article today re each sides starting 22 round 1- http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/bes...n/news-story/728867c7d94ae5c6eccf50a10df0fb0a

BRISBANE LIONS

B: Ryan Harwood, Jack Frost, Darcy Gardiner

HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Ryan Lester

C: Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Lewis Taylor

HF: Tom Bell, Josh Schache, Sam Mayes

F: Allen Christensen, Michael Close, Daniel McStay

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Dayne Beams

INT: Ryan Bastinac, Rohan Bewick, Rhys Mathieson, Hugh McCluggage

EMG: Ben Keays, Eric Hipwood, Josh Walker

OTHERS: Tom Cutler, Jarrad Jansan, Claye Beams, Nick Robertson, Jacob Allison, Jake Barrett, Jarrod Berry, Josh Clayton, Cedric Cox, Liam Dawson, Jonathan Freeman, Corey Lyons, Marco Paparone, Sam Skinner, Alex Witherden

ROOKIES: Blake Grewar, Matthew Hammelmann, Cian Hanley, Mitch Hinge, Oscar McInerney, Archie Smith, Reuben William

AGAIN, Brisbane fans will have to be patient with their list, which is the youngest in the competition by quite some margin. Due to that, we could see some of the club’s most recent draftees blooded early in the season, such as No. 3 pick Hugh McCluggage — a player who could walk into most top 22s around the league. The Lions’ spine includes several youngsters like Michael Close, Josh Schache and Harris Andrews, while ex-Pie Jack Frost will take the opposition’s No. 1 defender from Round 1.

how Lester could be in the back 6 in front of Cutler is a mystery and Taylor as a mid? Bell will have to show improved disposal skills in the JLT to earn a spot as Chris Fagan has shown that he places a high priority on improving our skill level.
Cutler would be one of my first picked. Whoever wrote that article is kidding themselves

I saw Vid on Lions website with Birthday Boy Liam Dawson...he mentioned in it he had been working on his intercept marking, maybe I am over analysing it but is Dawson set to play in defence this season ? or is intercept marking more of a whole team approach ?

I saw Vid on Lions website with Birthday Boy Liam Dawson...he mentioned in it he had been working on his intercept marking, maybe I am over analysing it but is Dawson set to play in defence this season ? or is intercept marking more of a whole team approach ?

Based on a few things he said in that video - working with Murray Davis (backline coach), communication behind the footy, intercept marking - it seems like he'll be playing down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back