Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on a few things he said in that video - working with Murray Davis (backline coach), communication behind the footy, intercept marking - it seems like he'll be playing down back.

Could even be considered as a third tall defender. It wouldnt suprise me at all if this is the way Fagan is heading with our defence.

Based on a few things he said in that video - working with Murray Davis (backline coach), communication behind the footy, intercept marking - it seems like he'll be playing down back.
Its hard to come to terms with how many on our list who are intending/wanting to play up forward this season!!! LOL. Guess the value on listed players increases if versatility is in their game.
For me, there is probably less than 10 players on our list that are certainties to play round 1 if fit. Up to the others to put their hands up.

For me, there is probably less than 10 players on our list that are certainties to play round 1 if fit. Up to the others to put their hands up.
agree with this assessment.

i would go with these players as certainties if fit and they don't completely stuff up in the JLT for round 1 v the suns-
Stefan Martin, Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff, Daniel Rich, Allen Christensen, Tom Cutler, Harris Andrews.

the fresh start with Fagan has fostered an increased desire and opened up opportunities for players willing to work hard and buy into the new ethos that he is attempting to build.

from my read of the pre season so far Fagans core messages have been- ownership, inclusiveness and togetherness as psychological cornerstones and simplicity, skills and elite fitness as the physical attributes required. the players have been given clear/concise/unambiguous messaging and are under no illusions as to what is required to go on this journey with him and his coaching team.

F: Christensen Schache Smith
HF: Bell Close Zorco
C: Rich Beams Mayes
HB: Cutler McStay Paperone
B: Andrews Frost Harwood
Foll: Martin Robinson Rockliff
Int: Bastinac Mathieson Barrett McLuggage

damn fine team, with an eye to the future

Hi guys, sorry to intrude, just curious on your opinions on Mathieson? Was pretty impressive at times last year, just curious as to how you guys see his upside? Do you see him as just beinf a workhorse type with an average ceiling or do you think he can take it to the next level and become a premium inside mid? Cheers!

Hi guys, sorry to intrude, just curious on your opinions on Mathieson? Was pretty impressive at times last year, just curious as to how you guys see his upside? Do you see him as just beinf a workhorse type with an average ceiling or do you think he can take it to the next level and become a premium inside mid? Cheers!
Yeah put him in your sc team

I think he plays. But he has tough competition as an inside mid with the likes of rockliff beams and maybe even robbo.

Yeah put him in your sc team
Not SC, it's a draft style category Ultimate-Footy keeper league so I'm more intrigued about his long term upside as opposed to him being a star in 2017. He seems like one of the more fierce competititors on your list and i was impressed with the little bits insaw of him last year. Just trying to figure out if he's a low ceiling workhorse or if he can be your next Rockliff in terms of being an absolute disposal and tackling beast.

Not SC, it's a draft style category Ultimate-Footy keeper league so I'm more intrigued about his long term upside as opposed to him being a star in 2017. He seems like one of the more fierce competititors on your list and i was impressed with the little bits insaw of him last year. Just trying to figure out if he's a low ceiling workhorse or if he can be your next Rockliff in terms of being an absolute disposal and tackling beast.
i see Beast Mode as having a very high upside, was a standout junior and a big slider to us in his draft year and he wants to succeed desperately. might not get to Joel Selwood levels but not far off IMO and he is also better at drawing head highs than Joel.;)

i see Beast Mode as having a very high upside, was a standout junior and a big slider to us in his draft year and he wants to succeed desperately. might not get to Joel Selwood levels but not far off IMO and he is also better at drawing head highs than Joel.;)
That's exactly what i wanted to know cheers. Have picked him up, here's to beast mode for the next decade! Thanks for your input, much appreciated :)

This is not a SC question, I'm just curious where Dane Beams is at. I looked on his player thread in your sub board but the last update was last year. Has he got through pre-season ok? Such a good player when he's up and about.

After yesterday I am thinking it might look something like this:

B: Hipwood Frost Robertson
HB: Bewick Andrews Mayes
C: Rich Beams Zorko
HF: McCluggage Close Robinson
F: Martin Schache Christensen
R: Smith Rockliff Keays
Int: Taylor, Cutler, McStay, Lester

Guys I see as still in with a chance week 1 - Mathieson, Bell, Harwood, Gardner, Paparone, Allison, Berry, Barrett, Beams Jnr

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After yesterday I am thinking it might look something like this:

B: Hipwood Frost Robertson
HB: Bewick Andrews Mayes
C: Rich Beams Zorko
HF: McCluggage Close Robinson
F: Martin Schache Christensen
R: Smith Rockliff Keays
Int: Taylor, Cutler, McStay, Lester

Guys I see as still in with a chance week 1 - Mathieson, Bell, Harwood, Gardner, Paparone, Allison, Berry, Barrett, Beams Jnr
Gardiner did well after quarter time I felt. I think we are better served with him than Hipwood for round 1. Hipwood would too easily get pushed off the ball imo.

Gardiner did well after quarter time I felt. I think we are better served with him than Hipwood for round 1. Hipwood would too easily get pushed off the ball imo.

Have you watched Gardner deal with anyone who could push Hipwood around? He is lost. He can only handle guys smaller than he is which is what he was switched onto after he was abused by Grant on the weekend. I would back Hipwood to do a lot better job on Grant than Gardner did. Hipwood had great attack on the ball and if you give him licence to do that as a third tall I think he would be very good in that role.

Robertson I thought did a lot better than Gardner and both are basically the same height.

He looks as though he would, but I don't think it actually worked out that way when he played last year. He's skinny, but he's also athletic, tall and aggressive. I'd back him to outperform Gardiner in most aerial contests: my only real concern would be whether he has the body strength to stick his tackles once the ball hits the deck. I'd also worry about him if it was a standing wrestle against a Tom Lynch type, but I don't think Gardiner will get too many of those assignments anyway.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Hipwood in the backline--noting that Allison looks like he could fill a similar spot alongside two 'big' talls in which case we could be flexible with Hipwood.

I like Gardiner, but it really was an indictment on him that Grant was manhandling him.

I do give Gardiner the benefit of the doubt given it was a meaningless game, but it was disappointing all the same despite doing a couple of nice things throughout the game.

Surprised how many have both Martin and Smith in their best 22s. Both very good ruckmen, but neither offer a lot up forward.
I think the days of trying to turn a ruck into a forward are gone, easier to turn a KPF into a pinch hit ruck.

I think Walker get first chance over Smith, based on averaging about 1.5 goals per game and being a pretty handy relief ruck (which is unfortunate, because I much prefer Smith).

Surprised how many have both Martin and Smith in their best 22s. Both very good ruckmen, but neither offer a lot up forward.
I think the days of trying to turn a ruck into a forward are gone, easier to turn a KPF into a pinch hit ruck.

I think Walker get first chance over Smith, based on averaging about 1.5 goals per game and being a pretty handy relief ruck (which is unfortunate, because I much prefer Smith).
Listening to Noble's interview during the game and Fagan's press conference, I'd say there is a fair bit of love within the coaching group for Archie and a real possibility they will try the two ruckmen option at some early stage, if not in the first game.

Think 2 rucks is very likely along with 2 tall forwards. Mcstay seems to be in the frame as a 3rd tall forward as well, but might have to see how that balance goes. Martin actually didnt look that bad up forward v the Suns. With a different system of moving the ball.he just might become servicable resting forward.

Could be a case of just dropping a ruck for a forward against smaller quicker teams as well. Hawks seemed to like have a dual ruck set up, think we will see that carry over.

Think 2 rucks is very likely along with 2 tall forwards. Mcstay seems to be in the frame as a 3rd tall forward as well, but might have to see how that balance goes. Martin actually didnt look that bad up forward v the Suns. With a different system of moving the ball.he just might become servicable resting forward.

Could be a case of just dropping a ruck for a forward against smaller quicker teams as well. Hawks seemed to like have a dual ruck set up, think we will see that carry over.
Yeah I can see us going the Hawthorn route there. I'm not sure whether any of their recent ruckmen other than Hale were ever competent forwards, or they've just been made to look serviceable by the delivery. Archie would do his chances of staying in the side a lot of good if he could learn to use his leap to regularly impact marking contests.

I think round 1 Fagan might play 2 rucks as Gold Coast might go it alone with Witts only. We could destroy them in the ruck and always have the ball going our way.

Regarding down back, with Frost suspended we need another big guy to fill void and it's not Gardner. I'll be surprised if he holds his spot in the team by the end of the year. He was a bull in junior footy at fullback but hasn't really looked like it in the last couple of years against the men, really struggling with most big types. He is essentially a small-medium lock down player in a fullbacks body. Andrews will prob go to Lynch after doing well last weekend. With no Day to look after that leaves a CHB role to fill. Close has a lot of agility back in his body, takes coxntested marks and has skill to deliver by foot, so he'd be my choice. It does highlight how little depth we have in defensive big ranks when one player is unavailable. If McStay gets up and running for round 1 I think he will play forward with Schache and Hipwood, but not sure where he is at.

Another player who I think might be moved from the backline Is Mayes. He's been tried there but it's not his natural game. He made couple of horrror decisions onthe weekend that cost us. I have always thought he is most dangerous deep forward and can see him ending up there if he makes round 1 team.

Round 1 maybe

B: Dawson. Andrews. Gardiner
Hb: Cutler. Close Rich
C: Zorko. D.Beams. Bewick
HF: mccluggage Hipwood Robinson
F: McStay. Schache. Mayes
Foll: Martin. Rockliff. Mathieson Int: Smith Christensen Bastinac Taylor
EME: Lester Robertson Bell

I think round 1 Fagan might play 2 rucks as Gold Coast might go it alone with Witts only. We could destroy them in the ruck and always have the ball going our way.

Regarding down back, with Frost suspended we need another big guy to fill void and it's not Gardner. I'll be surprised if he holds his spot in the team by the end of the year. He was a bull in junior footy at fullback but hasn't really looked like it in the last couple of years against the men, really struggling with most big types. He is essentially a small-medium lock down player in a fullbacks body. Andrews will prob go to Lynch after doing well last weekend. With no Day to look after that leaves a CHB role to fill. Close has a lot of agility back in his body, takes coxntested marks and has skill to deliver by foot, so he'd be my choice. It does highlight how little depth we have in defensive big ranks when one player is unavailable. If McStay gets up and running for round 1 I think he will play forward with Schache and Hipwood, but not sure where he is at.

Another player who I think might be moved from the backline Is Mayes. He's been tried there but it's not his natural game. He made couple of horrror decisions onthe weekend that cost us. I have always thought he is most dangerous deep forward and can see him ending up there if he makes round 1 team.

Close was our best forward on the weekend. No way he's switching down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back