Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally cannot wait to see how Gardinger and Hardwood go in round one.
Hardwood is he that guy with the big Mo and his player profile photo has the wood panelling behind him??

B: Gardiner McStay Robertson

HB: Rich Andrews Harwood

C: Bewick Zorko Mayes

R: Martin D.Beams Rockliff

HF: Robinson Close Bell

FF: Lester Hipwood Taylor

RES: Smith Cutler Barrett Matthison
EMG: Keays Bastinac C.Beams
Barrett would be upgraded for Skinner. Keays had a solid game against the crows, but was poor against the dogs, fumbled a lot imo. Would consider a swap for Cutler as he missed some basic tackles and some positioning errors against the crows, but he provides another solid outlet kick from the backline, which is why I picked him. Matthison provides hard contested footy and tackling for the front half, where Keays' game is more outside uncontested. Bastinac hasn't shown much in the last 2 games imo his disposal has been poor at best should be better for the run in the twos. Smith was pretty solid in the first 2 games, might be worth interchanging him up forward with Hipwood if Martin wants to run the ruck by himself also gives Martin a chop out from the forward stoppages. IMO

Edit: Would like to add if McCluggage and Schache are available and 100% fit then Smith and Matthison would make way

Last edited:
BACK LINE
Gardiner Andrews Bewick
Cuttler Walker Mayes

MIDFIELD.
Zorko Barrett Rich
Martin DBeams Rockcliff

FORWARD LINE
Robinson Schache Bell
Hippwood Close Cox (Big Call)

OFF THE BENCH
Robertson (rotating through backline)
Lester (rotating through middle & forward)
Mathieson (rotating through middle)
Taylor (Rotating through forward & wing)

WHO ELSE SHOULD BE IN THE 22.
- Frost
- Christiansen
- McCluggage

WHO'S GONNA GET LOTS OF GAMES
- Keays
- McStay
- Bastinac
- Paparone
- Berry
- Harwood
- Smith
- Freeman
- Hammer

Big call- I would suggest right call for the future.so happy you picked him. I hope he does get a game. My expectations are real ,so not expecting much.( there r big raps of this kid from Close sources to the club) .if he does well , I will be extremely happy for the youngster.

Schache and McCluggage ruled out for round 1.
Bugger.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-15/lions-lose-two-top-draftees-before-season-opener

Lions lose two top draftees before season opener

TWO FIRST-ROUND draftees, Josh Schache and Hugh McCluggage, have been ruled out of the Brisbane Lions’ round one team with injury.

Schache, drafted at no. 2 by the Lions in 2015, suffered a low-grade medial ligament strain in his knee several weeks ago at training.

Head of medical Peter Blanch said the club hopes Schache will return sometime in the early rounds of this year.

Lions may play Martin as sole ruck in round one

"He's been running and kicking and changing direction, he'll get back into training next week," Blanch said on lions.com.au.

The key forward played 17 games in his debut season, kicking 16 goals and cementing his spot in the Lions' line-up.

McCluggage was drafted at No. 3 last year, and injured his ankle playing in a JLT Community Series match against the Western Bulldogs two weeks ago.

He did not require surgery but has been wearing a moonboot to assist his recovery.

Blanch said McCluggage is expected to be sidelined for another three weeks.

"Hugh is out of his boot, he's started rehabbing his ankle and he'll start running next week."

The Brisbane Lions face Gold Coast in round one, on Saturday March 25 at Metricon Stadium.

I think this works as a starting 18...

FB: Harwood, Walker, Gardiner
HB: Mayes, Andrews, Cutler
C: Rich, Zorko, Bewick
Foll: Martin, DBeams, Rockliff
HF: Taylor, Hipwood, Lester
FF: Bell, McStay, Robinson

Int from: Bastinac, Robertson, Barrett, CBeams, Smith, Keayes, Mathieson, Cox, Hammelman, Berry.

Personally, I'd go Smith, Robertson, CBeams, Keayes.

Not considered: McCluggage, Paparone, Frost, Schache, Christensen, Close

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Schache and McCluggage ruled out for round 1.
Bugger.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-15/lions-lose-two-top-draftees-before-season-opener

Lions lose two top draftees before season opener

TWO FIRST-ROUND draftees, Josh Schache and Hugh McCluggage, have been ruled out of the Brisbane Lions’ round one team with injury.

Schache, drafted at no. 2 by the Lions in 2015, suffered a low-grade medial ligament strain in his knee several weeks ago at training.

Head of medical Peter Blanch said the club hopes Schache will return sometime in the early rounds of this year.

Lions may play Martin as sole ruck in round one

"He's been running and kicking and changing direction, he'll get back into training next week," Blanch said on lions.com.au.

The key forward played 17 games in his debut season, kicking 16 goals and cementing his spot in the Lions' line-up.

McCluggage was drafted at No. 3 last year, and injured his ankle playing in a JLT Community Series match against the Western Bulldogs two weeks ago.

He did not require surgery but has been wearing a moonboot to assist his recovery.

Blanch said McCluggage is expected to be sidelined for another three weeks.

"Hugh is out of his boot, he's started rehabbing his ankle and he'll start running next week."

The Brisbane Lions face Gold Coast in round one, on Saturday March 25 at Metricon Stadium.
Hmm that article seems to be referencing the club's medical report video, which was more optimistic about their round 1 chances, especially Schache.

Hmm that article seems to be referencing the club's medical report video, which was more optimistic about their round 1 chances, especially Schache.
Agree totally. I think it maybe media hangover from last year trying to keep pressure on the lions ( might be a bit paranoid:)) but the news is certainly not headline worthy considering they are developing players not zorko and beams.

Won't not be the best available against the Suns but here is my thoughts on the Lions strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS: Tom Cutler ~ Jack Frost ~ Darcy Gardiner/ Daniel McStay
HALF BACKS: Mitch Robinson ~ Harris Andrews ~ Sam Mayes (polish off HB)

CENTRE: Ryan Bastinac ~ Dayne Beams ~ Daniel Rich
FOLLOWERS: Stefan Martin ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Rhys Mathieson

HALF FORWARDS: Hugh McCluggage ~ Eric Hipwood ~ Dayne Zorko
FULL FORWARDS: Lewis Taylor ~ Josh Walker/ Michael Close/ Jono Freeman ~ Josh Schache

INTERCHANGE:
Ryan Harwood ~ Allen Christensen ~ Tom Bell ~ Jake Barrett

Most starting midfields would include Zorko but I think having him off HF add some experience and skill to the forward line. Good opportunity for Mathieson who is a strong midfield competitor.

Ben Keays and Ryan Lester should get early games with McCluggage and Christensen out but when fir they become unlucky but put pressure on the bottom 5 players picked.

Won't not be the best available against the Suns but here is my thoughts on the Lions strongest 22 for 2017.

BACKS: Tom Cutler ~ Jack Frost ~ Darcy Gardiner/ Daniel McStay
HALF BACKS: Mitch Robinson ~ Harris Andrews ~ Sam Mayes (polish off HB)

CENTRE: Ryan Bastinac ~ Dayne Beams ~ Daniel Rich
FOLLOWERS: Stefan Martin ~ Tom Rockliff ~ Rhys Mathieson

HALF FORWARDS: Hugh McCluggage ~ Eric Hipwood ~ Dayne Zorko
FULL FORWARDS: Lewis Taylor ~ Josh Walker/ Michael Close/ Jono Freeman ~ Josh Schache

INTERCHANGE:
Ryan Harwood ~ Allen Christensen ~ Tom Bell ~ Jake Barrett

Most starting midfields would include Zorko but I think having him off HF add some experience and skill to the forward line. Good opportunity for Mathieson who is a strong midfield competitor.

Ben Keays and Ryan Lester should get early games with McCluggage and Christensen out but when fir they become unlucky but put pressure on the bottom 5 players picked.
That's probably a reasonable effort - you should note though that Mitch Robinson has played forwards all pre-season

That's probably a reasonable effort - you should note though that Mitch Robinson has played forwards all pre-season

Cheers WA Lion. Reasoning for putting Mitch as that smaller defender was to be a negater on the most dangerous opposition small forward but that role can be filled by Harwood.

Allows Zorko to play midfield and Robbo to HF instead.

Cheers WA Lion. Reasoning for putting Mitch as that smaller defender was to be a negater on the most dangerous opposition small forward but that role can be filled by Harwood.

Allows Zorko to play midfield and Robbo to HF instead.

I was quite impressed with Gardiners work on Betts. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up one of the better small/mid forward negaters in the game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was quite impressed with Gardiners work on Betts. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up one of the better small/mid forward negaters in the game
Might just turn out to be one of our big improvers this year.

for round 1-

Tom Cutler, Josh Walker, Darcy Gardner.
Ryan Harwood, Harris Andrews, Sam Mayes.

Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff.
Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich, Rohan Bewick.

Mitch Robinson, Michael Close, Lewis Taylor.
Tom Bell, Eric Hipwood, Jake Barrett.

int- Nick Robertson, Daniel McStay, Ryan Lester, Ben Keays.

fantasy i know, but if everyone is available for selection-

Tom Cutler, Jack Frost, Darcy Gardner.
Ryan Harwood, Harris Andrews, Sam Mayes.

Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff.
Dayne Zorko, Daniel Rich, Allen Christensen.

Mitch Robinson, Eric Hipwood, Hugh McCluggage.
Michael Close, Josh Schache, Lewis Taylor.

int- Nick Robertson, Marco Paparone, Rhys Matheison, Rohan Bewick.

Would you happen to know when we'd need to have Barretts ppwk lodged if he were to play?
There has been talk of either him or hammer being upgraded (or both).
But no signs yet.
How long does someone have to be out for?
Because Skinner is down to 8-9 weeks on the current injury list.
Maybe there is no room.

Looking forward to the hue and cry plus the howls of anguish after the team for round 1 is selected tomorrow.

I suppose it is too much to hope that C.Beams and Bastinac will be in and Harwood will will be out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back