B Gardiner Frost Christensen
HB Cutler Andrews McStay
C Mayes Robinson Rich
HF Zorko Schache McCluggage
F Rockliff Walker Taylor
R Martin DBeams Bastinac
I Bell Mathieson NRobbo Bewick
E Paparone Keays Lester

Missing out Harwood CBeams, Jansen, Dawson, Smith, Close, Hipwood, Freeman, William, Clayton, Hammer, CHanley plus all the new draftees except for Hugh. We are lacking a quality small forward so I'd like to see Rocky spend the majority of his time up there as he can be quite dangerous. Hopefully we can find a small forward in the rookie draft.

I don't mind the team. I am going to back NRobbo in to earn a Round 1 spot after a solid pre season. Walker could do a bit of pinch hitting in the ruck. I wouldn't be surprised if Reuben William gets a fair few games next year and I expect the draftees to get some games at some point as well. Guys like Keays, Paparone, Lester and Dawson should play a fair bit of footy as well as injuries open up spots and hopefully Close, Hipwood and Freeman can remain injury free and demand a senior spot.

Also have a very very strong inkling that cox will be played up forward. His tackling pressure looked Devine and his ability to spot a target seemingly out of nowhere would be very handy up forward.
He can take a strong mark as well but I think he will be best suited to a wing where we can really extract the best benefit out of his pace and skills.

B Gardiner Frost Christensen
HB Cutler Andrews McStay
C Mayes Robinson Rich
HF Zorko Schache McCluggage
F Rockliff Walker Taylor
R Martin DBeams Bastinac
I Bell Mathieson NRobbo Bewick
E Paparone Keays Lester

Missing out Harwood CBeams, Jansen, Dawson, Smith, Close, Hipwood, Freeman, William, Clayton, Hammer, CHanley plus all the new draftees except for Hugh. We are lacking a quality small forward so I'd like to see Rocky spend the majority of his time up there as he can be quite dangerous. Hopefully we can find a small forward in the rookie draft.

I don't mind the team. I am going to back NRobbo in to earn a Round 1 spot after a solid pre season. Walker could do a bit of pinch hitting in the ruck. I wouldn't be surprised if Reuben William gets a fair few games next year and I expect the draftees to get some games at some point as well. Guys like Keays, Paparone, Lester and Dawson should play a fair bit of footy as well as injuries open up spots and hopefully Close, Hipwood and Freeman can remain injury free and demand a senior spot.
Good team, however the clean out must continue...Please no more pretenders like Bewick , Bastinac, Lester, C Beames etc.They are the horrible past.

Good team, however the clean out must continue...Please no more pretenders like Bewick , Bastinac, Lester, C Beames etc.They are the horrible past.
Bewick can play a role but I hope someone like Keays, Dawson or even Reuben William can force him out of the team. Maybe a draftee like Berry or Cedric Cox as well. I don't have Lester and CBeams in my side and Bastinac is a solid foot soldier which every side needs. You can't have a team of 22 superstars. Bastinac can play a role in our midfield as someone who can win his own ball and use it well. He might improve next year as well with DBeams sharing some of the load but I thought his 2016 season was underrated. He wasn't a star but he played his role most weeks and had some games of high quality.

back 6
Darcy Gardner, Jack Frost, Jarrod Berry.
Ryan Harwood, Harris Andrews, Tom Cutler.

ruck/mids
Stefan Martin, Dayne Beams(c), Tom Rockliff.
Daniel Rich, Rhys Matheison, Ryan Bastinac,

forward 6
Lewis Taylor, Josh Walker, Dayne Zorko.
Eric Hipwood, Josh Schache, Hugh McCluggage.

interchange
Allen Christensen, Sam Mayes, Mitch Robinson, Nick Robertson.

Our backline doesn't fill me with much confidence. Big year coming up for Andrews & Mcstay.
Frost will help. At least be ok enough to take the big forwards. Leave mcstay as a second tall. And andrews as a floating tall.

Last edited:
Our backline doesn't fill me with much confidence. Big year coming up for Andrews & Mcstay.

I am expecting a very big year from McStay. No excuses for him next year. Hopefully the structures put in place can really help our backline get through tough periods without leaking so many goals.

The thing that gets me excited is we have 3 genuine swingmen. Andrews, McStay and Hipwood can play forward and back.

I remember a game this season where Andrews played the first half down back. Took a few intercept grabs. Made a few spoils. Leppa threw him forward at the start of the third quarter and took a few grabs and had 3 shots on goal in 10 minutes. Thats game changing stuff. To have that kind of flexibility when we are good enough to be in games is going to be our weapon.

The thing that gets me excited is we have 3 genuine swingmen. Andrews, McStay and Hipwood can play forward and back.

I remember a game this season where Andrews played the first half down back. Took a few intercept grabs. Made a few spoils. Leppa threw him forward at the start of the third quarter and took a few grabs and had 3 shots on goal in 10 minutes. Thats game changing stuff. To have that kind of flexibility when we are good enough to be in games is going to be our weapon.

Agreed, then throw in Paparone who can also be an aerial threat around the field and we've got some weapons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd also like to add I think using Hugh as predominantly a 'small' forward isn't a bad idea for his first year in football. His goal sense is insane and will no doubt impact the scoreboard sitting in the forward pocket with the occasional run up the field. Essentially Ben Keays' roll this year.

I'd also like to add I think using Hugh as predominantly a 'small' forward isn't a bad idea for his first year in football. His goal sense is insane and will no doubt impact the scoreboard sitting in the forward pocket with the occasional run up the field. Essentially Ben Keays' roll this year.
Forwards tend to play so far up the ground these days anyway. He would, in some situations be like a wingman anyway.

Seeing the thread is for the first round I actually wouldn't like to see any of this years draftees to play. Would rather that they had to earn their stripes which should go for everyone really. As the year progresses and if they're good enough then yes, definitely.

Seeing the thread is for the first round I actually wouldn't like to see any of this years draftees to play. Would rather that they had to earn their stripes which should go for everyone really. As the year progresses and if they're good enough then yes, definitely.
I disagree. If they play round 1 that doesnt mean they 'haven't' earnt their stripes. Id still like to see a farely mature side roll out round one though.

I think that will be the case this year. I can't remember anyone from Hawthorn being gifted a game on reputation. I think Chris Fagan will make everyone earn their stripes.
As much as these new guys are skilled and their video feeds look really good, the heaviest player is only 82kgs
May need a little conditioning first perhaps.
My opinion only.

B: Paparone Frost McStay
HB:Cutler Andrews Christensen
C:Zorko Rich Mayes
HF:McCluggage Schache Hipwood
FF:Taylor Close Bell/Bewick
R:Martin Beams Rockliff
I:Keays Bastinac Robinson Matheison

Em: Harwood,Bewick,Walker

Paparone is lucky to get a spot,but I prefer him in the initial side because he adds more offensively than Gardiner and is good at floating across half back taking intercept marks. Would be happy to see him overtaken by one of the new HBs drafted though.
Not sure why some have Robertson in their staring 22 though. Can't remember a game where his disposal wasn't average and his awareness wasn't terrible.

Last edited:
He can take a strong mark as well but I think he will be best suited to a wing where we can really extract the best benefit out of his pace and skills.

He could end up on a wing with stints on the ball. While he adapts to the pace and physicality of the AFL, I think he'd be perfectly suited in the HF line as a link man to our key forwards with his vision and kicking skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about round one..... but if I was players like
Lester
Harwood
Bewick
Jansen (probably still to early to tell)
CBeams
Bastinac
CHanley
I'd be seriously scared. At this stage you couldn't say any of these players belong in our future.... so why would we be giving them many games? Their mature bodies are their only asset at this stage.... definitely not their skill.

What we should experiment with:

FB: McStay Frost Christensen
HB: Cutler Andrews Cox

C: Zorko DBeams Rich
Foll: Martin Rockcliff Mathieson

HF: Mayes Schache MCluggage
FF: Taylor Close Hipwood

I/C Robinson, Berry, Keays, Whitherden

First to step in:
Gardiner, Robertson, William, Walker ASmith

Not sure about round one..... but if I was players like
Lester
Harwood
Bewick
Jansen (probably still to early to tell)
CBeams
Bastinac
CHanley
I'd be seriously scared. At this stage you couldn't say any of these players belong in our future.... so why would we be giving them many games? Their mature bodies are their only asset at this stage.... definitely not their skill.

What we should experiment with:

FB: McStay Frost Christensen
HB: Cutler Andrews Cox

C: Zorko DBeams Rich
Foll: Martin Rockcliff Mathieson

HF: Mayes Schache MCluggage
FF: Taylor Close Hipwood

I/C Robinson, Berry, Keays, Whitherden

First to step in:
Gardiner, Robertson, William, Walker ASmith
I still haven't warmed to Bastinac. I know it's not a popularity contest and he currently fills a role but long-term I wouldn't be fussed if he was pushed to the fringes like he was at North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back