• Sandi/Witts

Votes: 34 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 25.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How will the new third man up rule effect ruck scoring? Ruckmen from teams like Hawthorn and Geelong who were using it should score more right?

How will the new third man up rule effect ruck scoring? Ruckmen from teams like Hawthorn and Geelong who were using it should score more right?

Unlikely. Most of the time clubs use it because their ruckman isn't any good at getting hitouts to advantage. Take away third man up and it will benefit those ruckman's opponents more.

Unlikely. Most of the time clubs use it because their ruckman isn't any good at getting hitouts to advantage. Take away third man up and it will benefit those ruckman's opponents more.
Bingo.
A few seem to think it's going to benefit Hickey as his teammates won't be going up anymore, but I'd imagine they were going up as they didn't back him to win the contest in the first place. Benefits the big tap ruckman the most. Someone posted a chart earlier in the year iirc, pretty sure Gawn was the ruckman most teams went 3rd man up against by a fairly large margin.

Bingo.
A few seem to think it's going to benefit Hickey as his teammates won't be going up anymore, but I'd imagine they were going up as they didn't back him to win the contest in the first place. Benefits the big tap ruckman the most. Someone posted a chart earlier in the year iirc, pretty sure Gawn was the ruckman most teams went 3rd man up against by a fairly large margin.
Also why I am hoping Sandilands can get and stay fit. He could return to monster status for no other reason other than the rule change

Bingo.

These?
ea51c26a838fe0faccc640de1aa8875e.jpg
5e728d883628bb0567259bc4b8561833.jpg

Hickey might go alright. Not saying to Gawn levels, but is at upper end, plus has good HTA, low shark rate. Not sure about other scoring (contested marks, possessions etc.)

Third man up doesn't always imply primary ruck is weak, sometimes (Blicavs, Riewoldt) just means the third man up is (was) very good at it,no?

Might be flaws in my thinking, not sure.

Bingo.
Hickey is interesting. The Saints were ranked 3rd in the league for highest % of hitouts won from third man up. Whilst it seems that this was done because he's a weak ruckman, there's a statistical outlier here. Hickey ranked 7th in the comp for % of HOA won. Higher than NicNat, Stef and just behind Goldy. The Saints used the tactic of third man up despite having a capable ruckman in Hickey. That's why he only averaged 28.7 HOs per game. He could actually benefit most from the new rule.

If Mumford is ready to go he'll be another beast with Gawn. Ranked 3rd in hitout average (34.74) and 3rd in HOA% (33.3). Who the * is going to outmuscle him? Cal Ward & Griffen were in top 10 players who regularly went third man up, believe it or not so it's fair to say that he too will benefit from the new rule.

I know he had a recent elbow cleanup but his running fitness is there. Had him last year and I'm strongly considering again if he can play some JLT. Mummy will dominate if healthy.

Bingo.

The Saints going 3rd man up were more due to them being oversized midfielders, e.g Riewoldt (193) Gilbert (194) Acres (191) and to a lesser extent Ross (187). Montagna and Gresham less so.

Obviously the classic example is Blicavs, but he was really the only Geelong player going 3rd man up.

I'd say the weakness of the ruckman is much less relevant than the relative strength of the 3rd man up in this case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And arguably he's not even in the top 3 of our worst premiership ruckmen.
7cc083fdf73dca6a20381674fd4c788f.jpg

This has nothing to do with anything but I like it.

tumblr_nkerrpFAZo1u6ibixo1_500.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back