VFL 2017 Sandringham News

Remove this Banner Ad

You think Richo doesn't understand this?

What his job entails is winning football matches, and playing footballers in the seniors in the positions he sees as achieving that.

That is the basic tenant of any AFL coach. its why Roo, possibly our greatest ever player, has played out of position for 15 years. Its why Clarko played Hodge as a HBF and not as a midfielder.

Sinclair will get his chance. He still has a pre season or two to go before he has that hard inside mid body to go up against the Swans, Geelong and Adelaide type midfields.

its why we have the likes of Ross, Stevens, and Dunstan in the inside mid role. Steele is still young but his defence in close is phenomonal and will be a monster in a year or two.

You people have to ge tover your obsessions. Sinclair and Acres and others will get a go in the mids, but not at the expense of the overall success of the team. Sinclair is not quite big enough, Acres not aware enough.

All I might stress AT THE MOMENT. Reckon they will be monsters when we are challenging 2018 onwards.

I reckon we are getting ahead of ourselves in 2017. Reckon it is more than a development year but less than a challenging year.

When we challenge we will have some hard bodied campaigners with Stevens, Steele, Ross, Acres, Sinclair, even Billings and meatball MkII in Gresh smashing the inside with Kelly, and Freezer smashing the outside running job.

Get excited more than frustrated fella's (and gals)
Good read Joffa, well said particularly the bolded.

Think I'll be watching tonight's match with your last quote in mind.

Last edited:

Looks like we're trying to get some game time into Holmes and Long.

Both playing dev league after being emergencies last night.
AFL Vic Development League 2017

Sandringham 1.1 4.2 7.5 9.14 (68)
Coburg 5.2 7.4 10.5 12.6 (78)

GOALS:
Sandringham: Matera 3 Rich 2 Lopo Pavlou Scagliarini Long
Coburg: Svarc 4 Velissaris McRorie Roberts Lawlor Dodge Ercolano Schraven Cannolo

BEST:
Sandringham: Scagliarini Iudica Holmes Haidon Pavlou Matera
Coburg: Conn Svarc Cannolo Sandric McRorie Ercolano

Could probably do worse than to leave Long at that level for a couple of weeks and play him in the midfield there. Be good for his development to get some good experience playing that position and maybe for his confidence to just get his hands on it a bunch.
Surely not. He was a top end age selection draft wise and had found his feet in that dogs VFL side

If we are considering playing him in the dev league then that's a massive step backwards

Surely not. He was a top end age selection draft wise and had found his feet in that dogs VFL side

If we are considering playing him in the dev league then that's a massive step backwards
Chill dude. ARR just made a quirky observation. Longy playing today after the flight back is a good thing.

He had 7 and 8 disposals in his last two VFL games though and doesn't look like he set the world on fire at dev level today, either.

The main reason I'm suggesting it though is to get him spending considerable minutes in the midfield, which I feel could be better for his development than playing mostly pocket or flank at senior VFL level.

It also gives him what I would hope would be an "easy kill", to help build his confidence. (This is a tactic that's apparently used in horse racing, where they send a horse to the bush or down a grade or two to hopefully give them an easy win, to help them really get their confidence up, by being able to dominate).

As for last year, from memory most of his games at VFL level were low disposal ones and he kicked 5 of his 6 goals in that prelim in the last quarter, when it was party-time, as his team went from a 60 point lead to a 120 point one, so I don't see any issue with playing him at a lower level until he starts getting his hands on the ball at a more desirable level.

Like when we were playing Nathan Freeman at VFL level late last year, but he was only getting about 8 touches. We eventually sent him back to the dev league and it's done him no harm whatsoever.

The club clearly see midfield potential in Ben, but he's not ready to play much there at senior VFL level, so I'd have no issue with him playing there for a week or 3 at dev level, to get him more in the habit of touching the ball a lot, really build his confidence and give him more midfield experience.

Last edited:
Chill dude. ARR just made a quirky observation. Longy playing today after the flight back is a good thing.
Chill? I dont think i was rude or abrasive in what I wrote

I just don't think he needs to be playing dev league to learn a new role.

Worth remembering dev league will be gone next year. The whole point of alignments with full control is that you can play them in the role you want without worrying about the affect on the sides performance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chill? I dont think i was rude or abrasive in what I wrote

I just don't think he needs to be playing dev league to learn a new role.

Worth remembering dev league will be gone next year. The whole point of alignments with full control is that you can play them in the role you want without worrying about the affect on the sides performance
Not rude or abrasive I agree, but playing today is not "a massive step backwards" either. He played today cos that was his only chance left for game time this weekend.

I realise you're making the deeper argument that our development system needs work. I'm in some agreeance as are others. ARR wants him to get "leather poisoning" to get his mojo working.

I agree he could play in that role in the VFL but he and the Sandy coaches may not be ready for that when Sandy's season is on the line.

Last edited:
We play Box Hill, Casey, Richmond and North Ballarat in the coming rounds. The first 3 teams are above us on the ladder. Fair to say we'd need 3 wins and a little luck to make it.

Sandy needed that win on Saturday. Given the rumblings at Sandy currently, making the finals would be good news from a listless year.

Good reason to get behind Sandy right now.

Could probably do worse than to leave Long at that level for a couple of weeks and play him in the midfield there. Be good for his development to get some good experience playing that position and maybe for his confidence to just get his hands on it a bunch.

You do realise the footy is terrible. It wont help him at all. Fair enough playing today because they had no choice but the last thing he needs is to play there more. Luckily its the last year of this crap and the non saints players can return to their own local clubs and help them.

He had 7 and 8 disposals in his last two VFL games though and doesn't look like he set the world on fire at dev level today, either.

The main reason I'm suggesting it though is to get him spending considerable minutes in the midfield, which I feel could be better for his development than playing mostly pocket or flank at senior VFL level.

It also gives him what I would hope would be an "easy kill", to help build his confidence. (This is a tactic that's apparently used in horse racing, where they send a horse to the bush or down a grade or two to hopefully give them an easy win, to help them really get their confidence up, by being able to dominate).

As for last year, from memory most of his games at VFL level were low disposal ones and he kicked 5 of his 6 goals in that prelim in the last quarter, when it was party-time, as his team went from a 60 point lead to a 120 point one, so I don't see any issue with playing him at a lower level until he starts getting his hands on the ball at a more desirable level.

Like when we were playing Nathan Freeman at VFL level late last year, but he was only getting about 8 touches. We eventually sent him back to the dev league and it's done him no harm whatsoever.

The club clearly see midfield potential in Ben, but he's not ready to play much there at senior VFL level, so I'd have no issue with him playing there for a week or 3 at dev level, to get him more in the habit of touching the ball a lot, really build his confidence and give him more midfield experience.
I'm a big supporter of the "drop them down to get their confidence up" approach.
Confidence is massive in most sports. Getting beaten becomes a habit that's hard to break, you almost expect it every time you run out.
Remembering what it feels like to dominate a player, movements come back to you that you'd forgotten you had in you because you were being so conservative trying not to get flogged.
The bombers and swans played high pressure footy, but when ball was in hand they played with boldness and flair. That's really been missing for a few of our key movers lately.
I don't know much about Longy's situation, I've only seen a bit of him play. But I agree, maybe some game time with plenty of ball in hand and no pressure would do him some good. If not, hopefully he finds his mojo at some stage anyway.

GqAV681.png

jkLhKFE.png

So what happens if in the next couple of weeks the Saints drop out of finals contention..and start icing players/booking surgery for the year? If Sandy do make finals...could be fielding a very much weakened side

That's life. Unfortunately Sandy mean nothing to the saints where 2018 is concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back