Preview 2017 Season Discussion

thurls64

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have to reiterate what I was told from a Suns staff member is GAZ loves it up here and is happy to stay but his wife does not so I think we have to judge him based on how he manages the issue going forward - probably works best for us if he puts in a great year on the field, is not captain and we plan for him to leave end of 2017

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have to reiterate what I was told from a Suns staff member is GAZ loves it up here and is happy to stay but his wife does not so I think we have to judge him based on how he manages the issue going forward - probably works best for us if he puts in a great year on the field, is not captain and we plan for him to leave end of 2017
Precisely and Gaz needs to do what has to be done to ensure Jordan is happy up here whilst he is under contract. Revisit a move when it's up, who knows she may have settled by then. Help her get work to keep her mind active is one thing I'd suggest, worked wonders for my wife - new friends, better sense of self esteem / worth. Both of them need to work together at it though - welcome to marriage, it requires hard work to make it work. It ain't a honeymoon forever. He could afford to fly her down to Melbourne every week if he wanted to but I'm not sure that would help the situation.

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
But it does raise valid points about why it's so hard to retain our players
I reckon the vast majority of go homes are about the WAGS not the players
Playing for the Suns should be the equivalent of joining the "Night's Watch"... I shall take no wife, hold no land and father no children!!

Attachments

• nightwatch.jpg
    nightwatch.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 101
Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Precisely and Gaz needs to do what has to be done to ensure Jordan is happy up here whilst he is under contract. Revisit a move when it's up, who knows she may have settled by then. Help her get work to keep her mind active is one thing I'd suggest, worked wonders for my wife - new friends, better sense of self esteem / worth. Both of them need to work together at it though - welcome to marriage, it requires hard work to make it work. It ain't a honeymoon forever. He could afford to fly her down to Melbourne every week if he wanted to but I'm not sure that would help the situation.

Send her back to Melbourne where she belongs

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
The disappointing thing about the Gaz go home issue is that it was raised with the club in the first place.

The meeting would have been done after the JOM and Dion announcements.
At the end of the first year of a lucrative 3 year contract.
After 2 terrible years for the club, with not enough wins and declining attendance.

Gaz leaving would have been armageddon. He had to know that it was untenable for the club and the AFL for him to leave this year, not to mention financially impossible for the Cats.

Nothing good has come out of this. Nothing. Club looks bad, Gaz looks bad.

Sorry, two silver linings.
  1. New co-captains surely locked in now. (But was probably going to happen anyway).
  2. A whole lot less fuss next year if Gaz does leave. Now that any timetable for top 4 has been pushed back a couple of years with all the under 22's we have, no longer the end of the world if he does leave or retire.
That is the truly sad part about this. Not the worst thing if he does leave next year.

He has done the best he can, might not be the best captain or leader but before the shoulder he was absolutely outstanding on the field. How many of those 3 Brownlow vote games should have been 4 or 5 votes he was that far ahead of other players on the field? Would prefer to remember him for that then the way it has gone down lately.

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The disappointing thing about the Gaz go home issue is that it was raised with the club in the first place.

The meeting would have been done after the JOM and Dion announcements.
At the end of the first year of a lucrative 3 year contract.
After 2 terrible years for the club, with not enough wins and declining attendance.

Gaz leaving would have been armageddon. He had to know that it was untenable for the club and the AFL for him to leave this year, not to mention financially impossible for the Cats.

Nothing good has come out of this. Nothing. Club looks bad, Gaz looks bad.

Sorry, two silver linings.
  1. New co-captains surely locked in now. (But was probably going to happen anyway).
  2. A whole lot less fuss next year if Gaz does leave. Now that any timetable for top 4 has been pushed back a couple of years with all the under 22's we have, no longer the end of the world if he does leave or retire.
That is the truly sad part about this. Not the worst thing if he does leave next year.

He has done the best he can, might not be the best captain or leader but before the shoulder he was absolutely outstanding on the field. How many of those 3 Brownlow vote games should have been 4 or 5 votes he was that far ahead of other players on the field? Would prefer to remember him for that then the way it has gone down lately.
Could've easily had a third Brownlow and who knows what else if he wasn't injured, too. It's hard to believe how far his stocks have fallen in the last two years. :(

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
A little bit suprising Michael Barlow still hasn't signed anywhere as a DFA. Maybe there is a bees d!ck chance he still makes it to the Suns in the rookie draft?

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
A little bit suprising Michael Barlow still hasn't signed anywhere as a DFA. Maybe there is a bees d!ck chance he still makes it to the Suns in the rookie draft?
Was a holiday yesterday.. I would expect more to come today seeing as teams are getting back into training.
Ricky Henderson should be a Hawk this week.

Greendogg

Club Legend
Nov 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Has there be many examples of players that have been delisted by one club, that then go on to make an impact at another club?
I think of plenty that haven't...

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Has there be many examples of players that have been delisted by one club, that then go on to make an impact at another club?
I think of plenty that haven't...
Yeah they did a article I'll have to find a link..

Bell
Kirk
Gilham
krakeour
Rocca

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

I wonder if a rookie can name is his price?

Pretty sure to get on a rookie list you have to go through the national draft as well

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
What about the nominated rookie..
Will that be Davis next year?
Won't be one as we'll be running a full list of 40 this year....only 39 last year....which iallowed one of the rookies to be nominated as a player without replacing a LTI .

Aug 2, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Won't be one as we'll be running a full list of 40 this year....only 39 last year....which iallowed one of the rookies to be nominated as a player without replacing a LTI .
I think we were able to have a nominated rookie because we had no veterans on the list??

Back