News 2017 St Kilda in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

hi
Someone post article?
nanganator if you want to read herald sun stories copy the heading into google news and you will be able to m(most times ) read the story

AFL 2017: Who will be a breakout player at your club?
a50210de1ea75e8ec7b0847c5be0685b

ELIZA SEWELL, Herald Sun
December 31, 2016 7:00pm
Subscriber only
a50210de1ea75e8ec7b0847c5be0685b

PICKING the big improvers is one of football’s great off-season games — and it can be played at the individual level as well.

Another year under the belt, another pre-season, more exposure to “the system” means several players will take a massive leap this year.

Some of them are obvious, some less so.

With the help of Champion Data, we’ve picked five players who are poised for a breakout season.

Collingwood bigman Brodie Grundy was ranked No.1 ruckman under-24 last season. He shone in 2016, finishing fourth in the Magpies best and fairest, averaging the most disposals per game of any ruckman.

And he’s already showing signs he can get even better this year, after being a standout during Collingwood’s pre-season camp at Mt Hotham, especially in the 7km time-trial at altitude.

“Grundy’s a really evolving ruckman,” Collingwood’s new assistant coach Brenton Sanderson said.

“I think he’s going to be a really important player.”

745a2b3862e1d9e726793de365ceb87c

Brodie Grundy was the best under-24 ruckman last season. Picture: Wayne Ludbey
71b2da8ccac7509f3ebcc3f450aea013

Jade Gresham could get more midfield time in 2017. Picture: George Salpigtidis
St Kilda’s Jade Gresham is still only 19 and is preparing for just his second of football, but he’s already a standout.

He rated above average for disposals last season and could well be elite by the end of 2017 with more midfield time.

“To be honest, he couldn’t have had a more impressive start to his career,” St Kilda coach Alan Richardson said.

“He predominantly played as a forward, he pinch hit from time to time as a midfielder. That’s where he’ll end up, we need him to become a midfielder, a really dynamic inside mid that can create opportunities with his lateral movement and with his skills; that’s going to be the focus of his pre-season.”

I feel like this board desperately needs some new news:

ST KILDA recruit Jack Steele has a point to prove after being starved of opportunity at Greater Western Sydney.

Steele, 21, is on a restricted program until mid-January but expects to be ready for intra-club and pre-season games.

“I really want to get inside the centre bounce, really show that I can play that role,” Steele said.

“I just want to prove myself as much as I can by playing consistent games and playing well in the midfield and showing people that don’t think I should be in the midfield that I’m good enough to be there.”

Steele is working harder than ever to earn the respect of teammates despite not being able to join them fully on the track.

“The only way to do that is to show my professionalism as much as I can by doing the little things right and everyone will eventually see that,” Steele said.

“I’m eating right and I’m doing the extras, doing everything to a tee and eventually that will earn respect and once I do get on the track (fully fit) the boys will see the work that I’ve done.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...s/news-story/592ec22de9f4ec8dc13d66036d0e5b85

No, it was released prior to us trading for him. Avulsion fracture of base of 5th metatarsal - you can do that when you severely roll your ankle
Just reading foot factures and it mentions that fifth metatarsal factures are some of the hardest to heal and often lead to the retirement of athletes.
Bugger me! I hope that is an overhyped simplification.

Note to self: I probably shouldn't read too much on the internet.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.a...s/news-story/592ec22de9f4ec8dc13d66036d0e5b85

St Kilda recruit Jack Steele says he has a point to prove at the Saints

ST KILDA recruit Jack Steele has a point to prove after being starved of opportunity at Greater Western Sydney.

Steele, 21, is on a restricted program until mid-January but expects to be ready for intra-club and pre-season games.

The Saints parted with a future second-round pick to secure the Canberra-bred Giants Academy product.

YOUNG GIANTS: HOW MANY FORMER GIANTS ARE ON YOUR LIST?

BIG YEAR: IS YOUR COACH UNDER THE PUMP?

STRONG RETURN: WILL NATHAN FREEMAN PLAY IN 2016?

“I really want to get inside the centre bounce, really show that I can play that role,” Steele said.

“I just want to prove myself as much as I can by playing consistent games and playing well in the midfield and showing people that don’t think I should be in the midfield that I’m good enough to be there.”

Steele is working harder than ever to earn the respect of teammates despite not being able to join them fully on the track.

The 2014 No. 24 pick, who played 17 games in two years at the Giants, had surgery on his left foot last September to repair a fractured metatarsal.

“The only way to do that is to show my professionalism as much as I can by doing the little things right and everyone will eventually see that,” Steele said.

“I’m eating right and I’m doing the extras, doing everything to a tee and eventually that will earn respect and once I do get on the track (fully fit) the boys will see the work that I’ve done.”

Steele holds no grudges about leaving the Giants.

They just had too many weapons in the midfield.

“It’s just so much depth and so many people wanting to go through there that sometimes you just don’t get the opportunity,” he said.

The tenacious midfielder, who averaged 36 disposals and eight tackles in the NEAFL, brings more depth to St Kilda’s exciting on-ball brigade.

“I know we’re heading in the right direction,” Steele said.

“Just missed out on finals (last year) so I think myself, and the other recruits, can really help grow the depth of the list … and potentially make finals next year and the next couple of years,” he said.

“We’re still a very good chance to make finals in the next couple of years and hopefully we do.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richo today at training;

RE: Training Regime
"There is a lot of technical work done pre-Christmas in terms of individual player development. We also roll out the evolution of our method; the way we attack; the way we defend; the way we setup at stoppage. More often than not this work is done in an explicit manner. Smaller groups to ensure quality learning. After Christmas training is a continuation of learning the same concepts but we do so in a more implicit way - with more numbers, game sense style training.

The design of the sessions is less technical and getting closer to game simulation. If you look at our training pre-Christmas, we have six or seven drills per session which are both technical and tactical and hitting on facets of our method in detail with the guys in their lines (forwards / mids / backs). Post-Christmas, everything starts to come together (as a group); the boys are doing much more scrimmage work, 16 v 16, 18 v 18, as we try to replicate games. The running has improved significantly (in my time at the club), but so it should. We are a young group that is continuing to grow; they are obviously getting extra sessions under their belt & we would be disappointed if the guys weren’t running PB’s and better times, it would mean they were going backwards.

The challenge for most of our younger players is to build their running capacity whilst building strength to be competitive physically in the game, and when you put on size it can compromise their running, particularly their endurance, so what has been pleasing is that they have been able to find the right balance through their work with (Strength and Conditioning Manager) Josh Low in the gym and their endurance work with Matt Hornsby. Post Christmas most of our conditioning work is done in our football sessions."

RE: Leadership
"We’ve certainly given plenty of guys the opportunity to lead, whether that be in training sessions or in activities away from footy that has put people out of their comfort zone. Danny Sexton has designed and implemented a very thorough leadership program that I believe has the potential to improve every player on our list. That was one main facet of the camp in New Zealand, to see how they’d respond and how they’d cope and it gave coaches and their peers the opportunity to provide feedback.

We’ve seen some great growth from the next group of leaders coming through. Seb Ross, Josh Bruce, Tim Membrey, Luke Dunstan, Dylan Roberton, Tom Hickey etc. A heavy focus at this stage to give the players the opportunity to lead and provide the right feedback, give them the opportunity to grow and improve; I’ve been really pleased with the work our young leaders have done.”

Even the AFL site it getting behind Gears as the next captain:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-12/jarryn-geary-firming-as-new-st-kilda-captain

Sub-editors everywhere will already be coming up with puns
Top Gears
Changing up Geary
Geary no longer dreary
Saints get on the Gears
Gear has the right stuff (erm...)

Last year I did consider having a checklist of all the small forwards he beat, like Gibbs, Betts etc and saying something like "What do all these players have in common? They all found it impossible to shift Gears!"

But I didn't bother in the end.

Top Gears
Changing up Geary
Geary no longer dreary
Saints get on the Gears
Gear has the right stuff (erm...)
If the club appointed him Capt a couple of weeks ago it couldve been a headline.

HAPPY NEW GEAR!!
downloadfile-4.gif

They could take a photo of Jake boy with Jarryn and run the headline

"Finally Jake is given the green light to get on the Gear"

FULL back Nathan Brown says his off-season move to St Kilda from Collingwood has been the “kick up the bum” he needed to reinvigorate his career

Now three months into his new life as a St Kilda player, Brown is enjoying his new surrounds and holds no regrets over his decision to move.

“Being somewhere for 11 years, you get used to something and get into a habit in the way you’re playing footy and all the kind of stuff.

“The change so far, when I came across for the first couple of weeks I was like a young player again. It’s given me that kick up the bum I sort of needed at this time in my career to go again and to elevate again and get something more out of my career in terms of football.

“I’ve been at the Saints for three months and I’ve absolutely enjoyed it. Training is great ... and I’m loving the environment down there. Hopefully that translates into my performance and I can contribute to the team in the season.”

The focus over the pre-season at Seaford has been in limiting the gap between the club’s best and worst football, something it believes will put it in the mix for finals.

“With a couple of new acquisitions over the trade period and drafting as well, the list runs deep,” Brown told RSN.

“There’s a particular focus on what St Kilda’s best footy is, which is great, and then what St Kilda’s worst footy is, which there is still a big gap in-between that.

“So (we’re) just trying to find that consistency this and we truly believe that will put us in good stead for finals.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...y/news-story/910c7dd391ce672f93b42a3c58d8ff9f

AUDIO here if someone wants the unheraldsunified version: https://rsn.net.au

Remove this Banner Ad

Back