News 2017 St Kilda in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

We turned down an offer that was nothing short of insulting for a player with Ball's credentials. The fact that Ball had so little gratitude for his former club as to even put them in that position says a lot about the kind of person he was. The fact that he then manipulated the draft in a way virtually never done before or since, leaving us with nothing, suggests he never learned the meaning of our motto. As such, I struggle to see him as a Saint.

But hey, best of luck in any other of your endeavours in life, Luke.
I recall at the time, a friend's sister worked in teaching with the wife of a former club great who was on the footy first ticket...

He was, and his whole family were offended when he was dropped. Who dare they do that to their perfect son?

Yea kiddy who wasn't a swar

my educated prick from Caulfield grammar
Judd has character in spades. When he left he did the right thing and didn't game the system.

Spoilt private school boys like Ball drink too much if their kool-aid, which is generously prepared by parents who think the sun shines out of his arse.

His contract, and that of a few others drawn up by the great man manager himself put us in the position of being unable to recruit those extra class players that could have netted us a flag or 2 under Lyon.

Judd has character in spades. When he left he did the right thing and didn't game the system.

Spoilt private school boys like Ball drink too much if their kool-aid, which is generously prepared by parents who think the sun shines out of his arse.

His contract, and that of a few others drawn up by the great man manager himself put us in the position of being unable to recruit those extra class players that could have netted us a flag or 2 under Lyon.
Look I know it's tounge in cheek but
Dmac,Goddard,Phillips,battle,mccartin,freeman,billings,sinclaire,long,and Lewy pierce all went to APS school none of whome seem pretentious, or unwilling to work

I'm gonna say g'day to him at the Swans game & apologise for my tweet getting him into strife. I'm keen to see what he replies Lol

Hopefully he takes some coaching from Reiwoldt.

Your right......talk about the Saints being on media street this week.......

I opened the Age site to see what's been news today....scrolled down and of the 4 main headline pictures....the Saints feature in 3 of them.

JB(of the Billings type...lol)...Carlisle....and JB Mark-2.

Is mk 2 JB josh battle or josh Bruce? ;)

Is mk 2 JB josh battle or josh Bruce? ;)
this-is-getting-out-hand-now-there-are-two-of-16048246.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is mk 2 JB josh battle or josh Bruce
Good call by Diehard and yourself......hadn't thought of Brucy as I've never heard him referred to as JB.......I guess Josh Battle will become JB Mark-3.

ST KILDA’S growth over the past three and a half seasons has been brilliant.

Alan Richardson has long been recognised as the guru of player development, fast-tracking youthful talent into AFL players.

Success has always followed him, as evidenced particularly by his Port Adelaide and Collingwood assistant coaching stints, but this St Kilda journey is different. It’s all Richo’s.

CALM COACH: RICHO FINDS SERENITY IN HIMALAYAN RETREAT

MATCH REPORT: SAINTS CRUISE AS TIGERS DROWN IN EXPECTATION

THE RUN HOME: ARE SWANS NOW TOP FOUR CONTENDERS?

St Kilda was an awful mess in 2013 after losing 12 of the last 15 games when Scott Watters was in charge.

In fact if Mark Neeld hadn’t been overseeing Melbourne’s excruciating 1-10 start to that same season, the fallout at St Kilda would have been more dramatic.

Enter Richardson, a calming influence who adopted a crawl before you walk mentality and now has the Saints running.

9d08c833db1ddc334300606d1f29ccd3

Former St Kilda coach Scott Watters.
a4adccbc8755039114af8e889ac30cec

Current St Kilda coach Alan Richardson.
They have had a steady build from four to six, then 12 wins last year before charging up the table with their 9-6 record. The results are significant but the methods and standards set are far more impressive and clear for all to see, particularly for success-starved Saints fans.

Seb Ross is a case in point, because his improvement under Richardson has mimicked the team.

Ross has averaged 16, 18, 27 and now 31 disposals a season over the past four years. His personal growth and game day impact is now being recognised widely.

Only Hawthorn recruit Tom Mitchell has had more disposals then Ross since the first month of the season.

Last weekend Ross personified “Saints Football”. Midfielders are rarely accountable for an individual opponent as the collective judgment is considered all important, but don’t tell him that.

He had 33 disposals and kicked a goal, but that paled into insignificance compared to his clamping role on Dustin Martin, whose influence he curbed significantly.

Martin wasn’t given a centimetre as Ross monitored his every move and thwarted any opportunities for easy, uncontested possessions. At all times Ross had eyes only for his opponent as the game continued around them.

Richardson’s cultural mantras are not words but actions and exhibit an unwavering discipline that for most clubs is only a pipedream.

0f44d046c1ae70ac899c9270d2910a3b

Seb Ross in action against Richmond.
62257ba7ae7489246d603365688e5100

Saint Jack Steven. Picture: George Salpigtidis
It’s a genuine player buy-in that can manifest into something special in the next two to three seasons while the Saints continue their transition from a reliance on Nick Riewoldt.

Riewoldt no longer needs to be a scoreboard influence or a best-afield contender for the Saints to win.

“Saints Football” is ruthless and uncompromising but lately this phenomenon is starting to feed on itself, growing week-on-week now that the wins are coming.

Sponsor Content
1200 courses, millions of opportunities. Your future.

Nothing generates more hunger for success than reward.

The foundation is set for a prosperous period and the St Kilda board must lock away their torch bearer. While it doesn’t seem Richardson is going anywhere, I’d still like to have that in print as the chequebooks are produced at a couple of clubs desperate for onfield answers — clubs that haven’t had a Seb Ross-type buy-in.

Jack Steven now has a partner in crime but this midfield must become multi-pronged.

bb423b4f9cbfde9639573babcd94a42c

Alan Richardson addresses his players.
Jack Billings and Jade Gresham have played their roles as half-forwards with great effect and, while their ball use is sublime, they’re required to become more than part-time wingman.

The minute they transform into genuine, ball-winning midfielders it will be go-time for the Saints.

St Kilda’s midfield has improved its contested possession and clearance returns this season but only marginally — it remains mid-table or slightly lower. This must change if the Saints are to mix it with the big boys in the near future.

A Josh Kelly injection into this midfield would be a game-changer, we all know that.

It would have a greater impact than Adam Treloar at Collingwood, because Kelly at St Kilda would have significantly better forward of centre targets to pinpoint than the Pies — or possibly even the Giants.

I’ve been critical of the Jake Carlisleacquisition but his impact down back has been profound.

Currently he sits among the AFL’s top 15 intercept players and only four players have taken more intercept marks this season.

The Saints are brilliant defensively and without the football they are among the toughest teams in the competition to move the ball against.

ea61b371e1d5d3c4d90449fff160c093

Jake Carlisle marks over a Richmond opponent.
Their offence since Round 12 has become the most effective at punishing opposition turnovers, the AFL’s most prevalent scoring method. Great signs.

St Kilda may not achieve the levels of last weekend’s second quarter against Richmond very often, but the fact the players are aware of just how good they can be brings its own confidence.

It’s important that confidence doesn’t consume all and they don’t get ahead of themselves.

Against Essendon, we’ll wait to see if the Saints can reset and continue to enforce the ruthless football to which we’re becoming accustomed.

The development phase is over.

Very complementary tbh

Can someone get Stuv a razor?
Looks like he should be on the next series of Gator Boys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back